Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME 885/Nitrocharger Feedback - mine is harsh!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Beast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Beast Mode's Tacoma Gallery
OME 885/Nitrocharger Feedback - mine is harsh!

about a month ago I installed OME 885x springs accompanied by the OME nitrocharger shocks. I have the topout spacer as well. As of today my front end is harsh! going over most ruts, bumps, cracks in the road is felt substantially thru the truck. As if there is zero travel in the front.

I'd like to hear from others who have this setup on what their experience is. As I log in more time will they soften up? I definitely dig the stance, but the ride quality has suffered signficantly. THis is my 3rd Tacoma that I've lifted and by far the most jolting.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Should soften up over time. Try to lower your tire pressure some as it helped with my ride. I had the 885x's for a few months and loved the ride...i now have the 886's and the ride is just as comfortable as the 885s with the right tire pressure.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 885x's but with billies instead of the OME shocks and my ride is nice and smoooooooth
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Beast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxRome View Post
i have the 885x's but with billies instead of the OME shocks and my ride is nice and smoooooooth
was it smooth from the start?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sje1124 View Post
Should soften up over time. Try to lower your tire pressure some as it helped with my ride. I had the 885x's for a few months and loved the ride...i now have the 886's and the ride is just as comfortable as the 885s with the right tire pressure.
I'll lower the tire pressure a bit and see if that helps. By the sounds of it the nitrochargers might be the culprit. They feel great in the back, not so much in the front.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Mode View Post
I'll lower the tire pressure a bit and see if that helps. By the sounds of it the nitrochargers might be the culprit. They feel great in the back, not so much in the front.
I've had the nitro chargers the whole time and love them. They are valved to go with the OME springs.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sje1124 View Post
I've had the nitro chargers the whole time and love them. They are valved to go with the OME springs.
Thanks Sje1124, I guess my plan at this point is to trust that they'll soften up as time goes on.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 885s & Nitros on my 4Banger without the spacer and they ride great.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 885X / 90000 Nitrocharger combo set up , the ride is definitely stiffer than stock , but I think that a lot of my ride stiffness is due to my E rated tires
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have the 885X / 90000 Nitrocharger combo set up , the ride is definitely stiffer than stock , but I think that a lot of my ride stiffness is due to my E rated tires
Thanks OZ, I expected a stiffer set up when I upgraded; I'm rolling with some p-rated tires and it just seems stiffer then it should be. Do you get jolted when you hit any sort of bumps at speed or potholes? I keep hearing people describe their setups "like butter" and "smooth" and I'm nowhere near describing my setup like that. Honestly, my rear is twice as smooth with the Toytec 1.5 TSB AAL than my front end.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
was it smooth from the start?
Yeah but I got it used with about 8k miles on them
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks OZ, I expected a stiffer set up when I upgraded; I'm rolling with some p-rated tires and it just seems stiffer then it should be. Do you get jolted when you hit any sort of bumps at speed or potholes? I keep hearing people describe their setups "like butter" and "smooth" and I'm nowhere near describing my setup like that. Honestly, my rear is twice as smooth with the Toytec 1.5 TSB AAL than my front end.
I don't buy the " like butter " comments , you can't help but stiffen up the front by adding the 885 / Nitros
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #13

Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I don't buy the " like butter " comments , you can't help but stiffen up the front by adding the 885 / Nitros
This ^
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

Yeah no doubt no ones ride is like butter. I've never bought that either.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
They will soften up as time goes on for sure. The suggestion of running a lower tire presssure is good. What psi do you typically run? I know my truck is a 1st gen but with the OME 882s and Nitrochargers it was firm at first too. I typically run my tires at 25-28psi on the road. Offroad they are at 12-18psi depending on the terrain.

When I first installed my suspension it felt more stiff than I expected but as soon as I got out in the dirt I loved it. It felt very controlled in the dirt which was the main priority.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
They will soften up as time goes on for sure. The suggestion of running a lower tire presssure is good. What psi do you typically run? I know my truck is a 1st gen but with the OME 882s and Nitrochargers it was firm at first too. I typically run my tires at 25-28psi on the road. Offroad they are at 12-18psi depending on the terrain.

When I first installed my suspension it felt more stiff than I expected but as soon as I got out in the dirt I loved it. It felt very controlled in the dirt which was the main priority.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's what I wanted to hear. I'll quit whining about it and give it some more miles. Hopefully I'll experience a more buttery ride.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the ome 885s and nitros and still think they are stiff. I have had them for about 50k miles and it has softened up but then I put on e rated tires which didn't help. But like box rocket said on gravel and off road the truck feels very in control. Over big rocks I still get bumped around but that's expected.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Tried removing the spacers? It will probably help
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I don't have spacers

yet
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Not yet, I do love the height that the spacer provides. I thought I researched folks who had the spacer and later removed it noticed no difference. I bet there is a difference but may be nominal. At this point I'm just going to rally for 5k more miles and reassess. I'm having the wheelers progressive pack installed this weekend in the rear so ill see if I have any offsetting effects with the ride quality.

Thanks everyone for your comments.