Notices

no lift but......

Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
boatbuilder is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: wildland Engine Boss
Name: Jim
boatbuilder's Tacoma Gallery
no lift but......

I have a 2012 Tacoma 4wd standard cab. I want to stiffen my suspension but really don't want to lift it an more than I have to. I also might want to put a pop top camper on it. I think I can solve that issue with Timbren's or Firestone air bags. So who of you experts out there have a solution? I knoqw what I'm thinking but we'll see. Also, why could you take a let's say OME 885 spring and cut off a length of the spring to get the same results as I am wanting? Stiffer spring but the same ride height.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
I have a 2012 Tacoma 4wd standard cab. I want to stiffen my suspension but really don't want to lift it an more than I have to. I also might want to put a pop top camper on it. I think I can solve that issue with Timbren's or Firestone air bags. So who of you experts out there have a solution? I knoqw what I'm thinking but we'll see. Also, why could you take a let's say OME 885 spring and cut off a length of the spring to get the same results as I am wanting? Stiffer spring but the same ride height.
Get some new leaf springs for the rear if you have cash. If you don't get an aal.

Bump stops will not stiffen your suspension. They just make the ride cushier when you max out the suspension.

Why would you cut a spring? Get some 5100's and set them correctly. Don't screw up a perfectly good spring by cutting it.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
boatbuilder is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: wildland Engine Boss
Name: Jim
boatbuilder's Tacoma Gallery
I would cut the spring as the stiffness of a spring is based on the diameter of the steel used (although the length has something, although less to do with it) according to OME. So, in essence I would get the stiffness of the thicker steel used but would take a spring built to lift the truck, lets say an inch and a a half and lower it back down but still retaining the ability to stiffen the suspension. I understand the use of the airbags or Timbrens which would be used only with the camper on. So, I would like a complete suspension to stiffen the ride (I hate the wishy washy ride it has now). I had a 1994 truck that I put a Downey system under that was perfect.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The mushy ride you feel is from the horseshit leaf springs in the rear. I added a AAL to my 2nd gen and it was a world of a difference... I'm sure a new leafpack would be even better.