Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

tacoma lean?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma lean?

so with so many people on here talking about this "tacoma lean", i went out and had a look at my truck. 2012 trd sport. im not a mechanic, but to me it looks kind of like there is some sort of shim in there from the factory.
is this possible?
is there a difference between the drivers side and passenger side, maybe length or anything else?

the first pic is the passenger side and the second the drivers side
Attached Thumbnails
tacoma lean?-img_0316.jpg   tacoma lean?-img_0317.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. Hard to tell on my phone but they don't look alike.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
They are the same, you are just looking at the rubber piece in between the coil and spring plate.

The rubber piece squishes out a little from the where it makes contact with the end of the coil spring. Hope that makes sense. The spring is situated so that you can see the end in the second picture (drivers side in your case) and the rubber squishing a little.

You would see the same on the passenger side, it just so happens the end of the spring is not visible in the pic.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
They are the same, you are just looking at the rubber piece in between the coil and spring plate.

The rubber piece squishes out a little from the where it makes contact with the end of the coil spring. Hope that makes sense. The spring is situated so that you can see the end in the second picture (drivers side in your case) and the rubber squishing a little.

You would see the same on the passenger side, it just so happens the end of the spring is not visible in the pic.
makes sense, thanks, i was thinking that the spring could have just been sitting different.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Like stated your looking at where the coil overlaps on the driver side.
Stock coils are slightly longer on the driver side.
OME replacement coils have what they call a trim packer that is placed on the driver side coil to make it a little longer.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Like stated your looking at where the coil overlaps on the driver side.
Stock coils are slightly longer on the driver side.
OME replacement coils have what they call a trim packer that is placed on the driver side coil to make it a little longer.
Just to clarify , the OME trim packer installs on the shock , below the coil and only works with OME shocks
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Just to clarify again for the OP, since the abbreviations look similiar, OME is Old Man Emu Suspension, and not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
Just to clarify again for the OP, since the abbreviations look similiar, OME is Old Man Emu Suspension, and not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
thanks guys! and im slowly starting to figure out all the acronyms with all the time im spending on here!
im waiting for my 5100's to show up, im assuming fountain tire will be aware of the differences between the passenger side and drivers side, or is this something just with toyota?
i would put them on myself but really don't have the tools to do it. plus im throwing on some new tires anyway so might as well do it all at once.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
im assuming fountain tire will be aware of the differences between the passenger side and drivers side
I wouldn't assume that
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I wouldn't assume that
i will definately mention something about it, to see if they know what im talking about before i tell them to go ahead with it. i would like to think they know what they're doing but it's probaby best i make sure or i'll end up with some serious lean.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
The rubber piece is called a spring insulator...Check out my build thread and you will see what spacers look like installed above the top strut plate. I installed spacers to level the front end of my truck since I have no intention of lifting it and driving 30,000 miles per year with compromised COG (center of gravity).
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintocrunch View Post
The rubber piece is called a spring insulator...Check out my build thread and you will see what spacers look like installed above the top strut plate. I installed spacers to level the front end of my truck since I have no intention of lifting it and driving 30,000 miles per year with compromised COG (center of gravity).

Do the spacers still compress the coils/springs but keep the uca's in the stock positions? Would it be the Sam as the 5100's but from the top?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do the spacers still compress the coils/springs but keep the uca's in the stock positions?
No. Spacers relocate the entire spring/shock to give you lift. This causes problems if you bottom out. It will bottom out the shock.

Quote:
Would it be the Sam as the 5100's but from the top?
No. 5100s preload the spring to give you lift. No issues with bottoming out the shock.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
No.

No.
Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
I edited my post and gave you a better answer. "No" and "No" I thought was a little vague.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
I edited my post and gave you a better answer. "No" and "No" I thought was a little vague.
Saw that, no worries, thanks for the quick reply.