Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Vibrations after lift.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Vibrations after lift.

I recently lifted my 09 double cab 5in in the rear with Alcan rear leafs,and lifted the front 3in fox 2.5's up front with camburg's ball joint uca. Nothing was dne to the driveline. After the lift I noticed there were some harmonics at 55 to 60 mph. I suspect it is the driveline. It was greased which seemed to make it better. Need some input before messing with it. Has this happened to anybody else?
Thanks
Edit: the truck has almost 60,000 miles
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
This has happened to probably 7 out of 10 lifted trucks here. There are several solutions including axle shims, CB drops, and a 1 piece drive shaft. Good luck bud.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
I recently lifted my 09 double cab 5in in the rear with Alcan rear leafs,and lifted the front 3in fox 2.5's up front with camburg's ball joint uca. Nothing was dne to the driveline. After the lift I noticed there were some harmonics at 55 to 60 mph. I suspect it is the driveline. It was greased which seemed to make it better. Need some input before messing with it. Has this happened to anybody else?
Thanks
Edit: the truck has almost 60,000 miles
So prior to adding this specific lift the truck was at stock height?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
So prior to adding this specific lift the truck was at stock height?
Yes, but the rear was sagging 2in
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
This has happened to probably 7 out of 10 lifted trucks here. There are several solutions including axle shims, CB drops, and a 1 piece drive shaft. Good luck bud.
Ah yes, Large.

I will have to concur with Large's statement
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Road rage is a hobby
EMS:
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where can I get cb drop kits? Or a one piece drive shaft?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

Army:
I would recommend doing one thing at a time. Do a CB drop first (easy and cheap), then try some shims for the leafs. Toytec has 2 diff ones you can go with.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Army:
Quote:
Where can I get cb drop kits? Or a one piece drive shaft?
Toytec has CB drop kit and shims as well. Use discount code 112710 if you order from them.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
CB drops come in different shapes and sizes. ToyTec sells some, I stacked 2 together and almost completely rid my vibes before switching to a 1 piece shaft. I also bought one from StreetTacos, it's a custom piece of CNC cut & bent steel but the wait is kind of long to get one.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
If you are near a loose gravel road you could make sure it's the axle wrap giving the vibes by removing the shaft, putting it in 4H (assuming you are 4wd) and drive around.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Road rage is a hobby
EMS:
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
CB drops come in different shapes and sizes. ToyTec sells some, I stacked 2 together and almost completely rid my vibes before switching to a 1 piece shaft. I also bought one from StreetTacos, it's a custom piece of CNC cut & bent steel but the wait is kind of long to get one.
Ok so what would be stronger quicker and all around better.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #14

Army:
Quote:
Ok so what would be stronger quicker and all around better.
Whoa! Stronger=Driveshaft; Quicker=shims/CB drop; All around Better=Depends on which one fixes the problem first
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Get yerself a woody
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #16

Army:
Start small, then work your way up. That's my recommendation. I have both the CB drop and shims and i have an ever so light shutter at like 10mph. That's it!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #17

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Get yerself a woody
LOL. And then go find yourself and AWESOME surf?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Tom Woods, "woodie" driveshaft.
Honestly best bet is to do what Xavier recommends, start cheap and easy, you might be happy with just an improvement cuz you may never eliminate all vibes. CB drop takes about 5 mins to install, start there. 1 piece shafts are nice but pricey and you lose some clearance
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #19

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Tom Woods, "woodie" driveshaft.
Honestly best bet is to do what Xavier recommends, start cheap and easy, you might be happy with just an improvement cuz you may never eliminate all vibes. CB drop takes about 5 mins to install, start there. 1 piece shafts are nice but pricey and you lose some clearance
I'm a tard! I thought you meant get rid of the Taco for a Woody.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Road rage is a hobby
EMS:
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks for all the information. Looks like I am going to try the drop kit first.