Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

To gusset or not to gusset...

Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
To gusset or not to gusset...

So I was tossing around the idea today to buy some spindle gussets from All-Pro. My main concern was whether or not to leave the factory spindles alone, so as to serve as a weak point on the suspension, allowing it to fail if I ever hit something way too hard, therefore taking the impact instead of diverting it to a more expensive part of the suspension/frame. I figured a spindle is relatively inexpensive and easy to install, so bending/breaking it wouldn't be a total catastrophe.

I'm purchasing a set of stock length LSK's LCA's, Icon extended travel resis, and I have a set of All Pro uniball UCA's. All pretty tough aftermarket parts. Would leaving the spindle without a gusset be a bad idea?

Pic of the LSK LCA's

Your thoughts...
Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
If your into high speed wheelin Id do it you can get get away without for rock crawling but if your going fast "And most of us do" just gusset them and be done .
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Think about driving home with a shit alignment because of a bent spindle. That'll do a number to your tires.

I'd gusset it.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I'd gusset it......and then get some Icon Omeag bypass' in there!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Gusset!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Even after being gusseted the spindle will still probably be the weak spot, I would just gusset them
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
gusset them is my vote. you will need a few special tools to remove your spindle since you're 4x4.

to remove your 4x4 hubs you will need a huge 35mm socket, which was expensive from Osh like $17 but obviously just return it when you're done.

also get a "pitman puller" which u can get at autozone for like 10-12$, it helps remove the tie-rod ball joint and works very well. better than a hammer for sure. worth it.

I would decide now if you want to run hydraulic bumps and/or limit straps...or just stay with stock. you'll need to weld on an extra tab for the limit strap and who wants to paint the LCA twice. plus it's a lot of work adding hydraulic bumps so better to get all the work done the first time vs. multiple trips to a shop (unless you do it all yourself)

let me know if you have any questions about the LCA's I will try to help
Attached Thumbnails
To gusset or not to gusset...-photo.jpg   To gusset or not to gusset...-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Gusset . I got all my gussets and had them done with my lca install .
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the heads up, Brennan! I actually have the 35mm socket, so the puller is all I need, and I'm pretty sure they rent them at autozone.

I'd like to have bumps and straps as a safety, but to be perfectly honest, I don't wheel my truck that hard. I stick mostly to slow inclines/declines, and trails. Possibly something I'd like to do down the line though.

Awesome pics, btw. Are those the same LCA's?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
are you even gaining that much travel with this setup that it would even require limit straps ?
Limit straps are not just because of longer travel. If you plan on the wheel leaving the ground a lot and the weight of the suspension is slamming down on the shock it would be a good idea to put the load on something that is designed for it. You can damage $1k shocks or buy some $30 limit straps
Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Brennan! I actually have the 35mm socket, so the puller is all I need, and I'm pretty sure they rent them at autozone.

I'd like to have bumps and straps as a safety, but to be perfectly honest, I don't wheel my truck that hard. I stick mostly to slow inclines/declines, and trails. Possibly something I'd like to do down the line though.

Yes these are the prototype LSK LCA, I was the guinea pig. I finally just got them painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
are you even gaining that much travel with this setup that it would even require limit straps ?
well gaining travel...I'm honestly not sure b/c I didn't measure before/after travel at the wheels when the coil was off.

IMO it's never a bad idea to have the weight resting on straps vs. on your shock. When I tore apart these OEM kings they did have a small internal rubber "bump" to prevent metal-on-metal smashing at full extension but if yours do not have an internal bump...well you know the rest
Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post

Yea those are the same ones. He was the test platform for them.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #16

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
the arms are rock solid. we left them bare for weeks to check for stress fractures or any other damage. None has been found besides scratches on the surface from rocks. Last week I went to the Powder Puff race up in Barstow and mobbed my new set up pretty hard.

After hitting that race course I'm confident they will hold up to most anything.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
LSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to beholdLSK is a splendid one to behold

LSK's Tacoma Gallery
If you are coming up to Burbank to pick up the LCAs, bring the spindles and spindle gussets with and we'll take care of you. Its a simple 10 minute job from what I remember and totally worth it.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #18

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSK View Post
If you are coming up to Burbank to pick up the LCAs, bring the spindles and spindle gussets with and we'll take care of you. Its a simple 10 minute job from what I remember and totally worth it.
that is the customer service I have found from these guys everytime I have talked to them!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSK View Post
Thanks, Van! Will do!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
superwhite is on a distinguished road
Name: sean
superwhite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
gusset them is my vote. you will need a few special tools to remove your spindle since you're 4x4.

to remove your 4x4 hubs you will need a huge 35mm socket, which was expensive from Osh like $17 but obviously just return it when you're done.

also get a "pitman puller" which u can get at autozone for like 10-12$, it helps remove the tie-rod ball joint and works very well. better than a hammer for sure. worth it.

I would decide now if you want to run hydraulic bumps and/or limit straps...or just stay with stock. you'll need to weld on an extra tab for the limit strap and who wants to paint the LCA twice. plus it's a lot of work adding hydraulic bumps so better to get all the work done the first time vs. multiple trips to a shop (unless you do it all yourself)

let me know if you have any questions about the LCA's I will try to help
What's the black thing in the center of your wheel spacer? Almost looks like a manual hub?