Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

When it comes to getting 5100's installed...

Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
When it comes to getting 5100's installed...

When it comes to getting 5100's installed (@ 1.75")... Do I really need to be looking for an "off-road shop" in the area, or do you think I can just get by with a local mechanic who is willing to sign up for swapping the shocks and doing an alignment? I am thinking the latter. We are sparse on off-road places around here it seems...
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone can do it. They're just taking out the old and putting in the new. Go to your favorite mech if you have one
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Anyone can do it. They're just taking out the old and putting in the new. Go to your favorite mech if you have one
That's what I was thinking. Thx.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Fuck having a mechanic do it, do it yourself. They can do your alignment, only because it's hard to borrow an alignment rack.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No problem
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Meh, some people don't feel safe using a spring compressor. Now that I've used one I feel comfortable but the first time I needed one I had no one with experience to help me and I just didn't want to mess with it. OP if you think you can do it yourself he is right, cheeper for sure. Definitely up to you
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #7

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah... I looked at the DIY threads for it. If it was a bolt-on thing like preassembled coilovers, I would, but I have a 1 yr. old... and basically what that means is that free time is sparse. So yeah... mechanic it is.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Benny is on a distinguished road
Benny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
One would think. I had them installed by Firestone on my old truck. Idiots installed the cup that Holds the lower part of the spring in place UPSIDE DOWN. No shit. They had been given the instructions that came with them and everything. The spring were way, way compressed and the front end was pointed towards the sky. I actually drove it a couple of miles before realizing something was terribly wrong.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
jvand678 is on a distinguished road
jvand678's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
Yeah... I looked at the DIY threads for it. If it was a bolt-on thing like preassembled coilovers, I would, but I have a 1 yr. old... and basically what that means is that free time is sparse. So yeah... mechanic it is.
Don't sweat the job!!! My 11 month old was snoozing while I knocked the wife's out in a whopping 45 minutes. That included swapping springs over. 13 nuts to loosen per side including the wheels... Seriously an easy job if you have the impact, jack stands, and know how.

Average cost in my area is about 300 bucks with the alignment. I have the lifetime from Firestone so that's all in my pocket. That's a lot of diaper money!!!!