1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When it comes to getting 5100's installed...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by aphex, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    aphex

aphex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR
    Undercover Classic Tonneau, EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector, Consolevault Custom Safe, Britax Boulevard 70 Baby Seat!, Retro TRD Shift Knob, Factory Bed Mat, Rear Leaf TSB, 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrain KO's, KMC Enduro Wheels, Front Bilstein 5100's set @ 0" w/ Toytec/Eibach Springs, Rear 5100's, TRD Grille Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, AntennaX 14" Billet Antenna
    When it comes to getting 5100's installed (@ 1.75")... Do I really need to be looking for an "off-road shop" in the area, or do you think I can just get by with a local mechanic who is willing to sign up for swapping the shocks and doing an alignment? I am thinking the latter. We are sparse on off-road places around here it seems...

2. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Anyone can do it. They're just taking out the old and putting in the new. Go to your favorite mech if you have one

3. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    aphex

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR
    Undercover Classic Tonneau, EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector, Consolevault Custom Safe, Britax Boulevard 70 Baby Seat!, Retro TRD Shift Knob, Factory Bed Mat, Rear Leaf TSB, 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrain KO's, KMC Enduro Wheels, Front Bilstein 5100's set @ 0" w/ Toytec/Eibach Springs, Rear 5100's, TRD Grille Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, AntennaX 14" Billet Antenna
    That's what I was thinking. Thx.

4. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Fuck having a mechanic do it, do it yourself. They can do your alignment, only because it's hard to borrow an alignment rack.

5. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
  6. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Meh, some people don't feel safe using a spring compressor. Now that I've used one I feel comfortable but the first time I needed one I had no one with experience to help me and I just didn't want to mess with it. OP if you think you can do it yourself he is right, cheeper for sure. Definitely up to you

7. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    aphex

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR
    Yeah... I looked at the DIY threads for it. If it was a bolt-on thing like preassembled coilovers, I would, but I have a 1 yr. old... and basically what that means is that free time is sparse. So yeah... mechanic it is.

8. Oct 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    Benny

Benny Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB more mods by the month
    One would think. I had them installed by Firestone on my old truck. Idiots installed the cup that Holds the lower part of the spring in place UPSIDE DOWN. No shit. They had been given the instructions that came with them and everything. The spring were way, way compressed and the front end was pointed towards the sky. I actually drove it a couple of miles before realizing something was terribly wrong.

9. Oct 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    jvand678

jvand678 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 Dbl CabTRD Sport 4x4 Black
    Westin Nerf bars, full window tint, redline hood struts, Icon Coilovers, Wheeler Add a Leaf 3 pack (on its way)
    Don't sweat the job!!! My 11 month old was snoozing while I knocked the wife's out in a whopping 45 minutes. That included swapping springs over. 13 nuts to loosen per side including the wheels... Seriously an easy job if you have the impact, jack stands, and know how.

Average cost in my area is about 300 bucks with the alignment. I have the lifetime from Firestone so that's all in my pocket. That's a lot of diaper money!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top