Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Mid-Travel vs OME

Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
Mid-Travel vs OME

OK.. First of all I have tried searching and have done a bunch of reading but I couldn't find the answer I am seeking.

I am looking for a definition of Mid-Travel suspension. Is there more compression travel or droop travel??

How do they compare to an OME setup?? I understand OME isn't Mid-Travel but if the price difference isn't much more I might just get the Mid-Travel.

Thanks in advance for all that help.

Blygy
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Mid-travel would be like the extended travel Icon shocks.

OME and a Bilstein 5100 lift would be a stock travel lift since the travel range is unchanged from stock. You gain lift by sacrificing downtravel and gaining uptravel. Mid-travel would allow you to gain lift, gain uptravel and still have decent down travel as well. At least that's how I understand it...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You should also pair extended travel shocks with a uniball uca to be true mid-travel. With only the extended travel shocks, your stock uca's will be the limiting factor on suspension down-travel.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
So the UniBall UCA is what allows more droop??

Getting 3 inches of lift while loosing 3 inches of down travel seems silly. How much down travel do I get back with a mid travel set up??
Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blygy View Post

Getting 3 inches of lift while loosing 3 inches of down travel seems silly. How much down travel do I get back with a mid travel set up??
I'm not sure. these folks will know:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...id+travel+with
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yup, you've got it......to get 3" of lift you loose down travel and a speed bump will over extend the suspension causing a crappy ride......2-2.5" is ideal for this reason or ext travel shocks and uca gaining 1" of down travel back. Manufacturer's suggest at least 2" of downtravel for a decent ride.

If you're 2wd you can get lift spindles which moves the hubs down achieving lift but not sacrificing any shock downtravel.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Dank Tank
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I hated 3" lifts

Drop bracket
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
I hated 3" lifts

Drop bracket
Really? DB lifts typically don't have more than 1" of downtravel either. Was it for those big ass tires? I'll try to run 35's my next set!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
I hated 3" lifts

Drop bracket
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Dank Tank
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Really? DB lifts typically don't have more than 1" of downtravel either. Was it for those big ass tires? I'll try to run 35's my next set!
Wasn't for the tires, DB only way for more than 3" with a 4x4 (and rides better)
Fox resis, TC uppers w/ Heims and no CV angles

3" (SAW c/o's) with 315's

6" BDS w/ 315's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Haha think what you want about my rig
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
XREILLYX is on a distinguished road

Name: Reilly
XREILLYX's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery

That is off of Guanela, is that a trail or just a dirt road?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
Dank Tank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post

That is off of Guanela, is that a trail or just a dirt road?
This is a big switchback with a view, there is trail before and after where the pic was taken.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a beautiful pic!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Reg. Prime Minister of the Dep. Doubious Deeds
urban is on a distinguished road
urban's Tacoma Gallery
How much down travel does the average ext. travel coil over offer? I am running the OME kit with 885's on a DCLB and have about 3" downtravel. I am thinking about getting some 888 coils which would raise the truck about .5" therefore reducing down travel to 2.5" Right now the thing rides great... Do you think a .5" reduction will make a noticeable difference? I mean honestly with a UCA and the right spacer you can probably get mid travel numberss... The limiting factor with the OME kit in the front seems to be that the shock never gets fully compressed before it hit the bump stops. OME front shocks have a length 16.26" - 21.38" so a difference of about 5.12". The ratio of shock to wheel movement is about a factor of 2 so that equates to almost 10" or actually usable travel with spacer and bump stop tuning. This is what I plan to do in the future to optimize the OME kit. In the back the big limiting factor is the extended length of the shocks that limits droop. The OME shocks are actually damn impressive for having 10" of travel with a compressed length of only about 13". If you look at bilstiens and even some of the high dollar components with remote res. will struggle to match that... Some bilstiens will make 10.1" travel but only if they are 16" +. the only problem is that you can run a shock with a compressed length of 15-16" (I would run 15" to keep a healthy margin so you don't collapse a shock) I actually emailed OME to see if they have a longer shock with the same valving for in the rear. I will let you know their response.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
Reg. Prime Minister of the Dep. Doubious Deeds
urban is on a distinguished road
urban's Tacoma Gallery
I actually went and did some research and the best coilover I saw, can't remember which one now, only offered potentially ~one inch more travel tops considering both are optimized to your setup. I don't even think the rest of the suspension can exceed 10" without longer A-arms anyways.