Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to adjust Bilsteen 5100

Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
greddy09sc is on a distinguished road
greddy09sc's Tacoma Gallery
How to adjust Bilsteen 5100

Hi,

I bought a used taco with Bilsteen 5100, it currently set at highest setting. 2in. How do i adjust it to go down to 1in? Any advice is appreciated.
I've changed shocks/springs before on civics/ingegras so i'm a little mechanically inclined.

Also, will lowering to 1in help with gas mileage at all?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Two options... you can remove the whole coil / shock assembly, use a spring compressor to squeeze the coil then adjust, or you can try to compress the coils without removing them from the truck and adjust...?

there is a C- Clip on the bottom of the shock that holds the bottom plate in place, move that clip to adjust..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
Two options... you can remove the whole coil / shock assembly, use a spring compressor to squeeze the coil then adjust, or you can try to compress the coils without removing them from the truck and adjust...?
there is a C- Clip on the bottom of the shock that holds the bottom plate in place, move that clip to adjust..
the 1st option is the only way. you must remove the whole assembly. my advice is to take it to a shop and have them do it.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
the 1st option is the only way. you must remove the whole assembly. my advice is to take it to a shop and have them do it.

I'm ust curious, why can't you do it while in place? Jack up the front of the truck so the arms drop, it seems to me that you should be able to squeeze the coils and adjust?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
greddy09sc is on a distinguished road
greddy09sc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post

thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

Do you think there will be a difference with gas mileage?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
╒╪╕

I dont think there will be any change in the mileage..

Be real careful when messing with the coils. they arent like the lowering springs on small cars. I lowered my old jetta and was able to do it all by hand, but the tacoma - those coils are effin tough.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
╒╪╕

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Seems rick has signed off - does anybody else here have any ideas why this would not be possible? besides the fact that it would probably be a pain in the ass trying to compress the coils with limited space...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
PITA and the coils are very strong... a rented coil compressor is dangerous.

Letting the lower a arms droop isn't going to fully decompress the coils.