Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1" inch rear block.....

Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
1" rear block.....

so from what i have read, rear blocks are bad. i can see if you use a 2 or 3 inch block, but would a 1 inch block really be that bad?
does anyone have their OWN experience with 1" blocks? good or bad.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 1" block on the back of my 07 to help keep my 35" tires from eating fenders at full compression without limiting bump travel. It did its job and didnt lead to an excessive amount of axle wrap. Would I run one again if I needed it?- sure.
Just no more than 1" and it MUST be cast iron or solid machined billet aluminum. NO CAST ALUMINUM blocks- They break!!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
i have one.. it does the trick.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, anyone else out there with 1" block experience, good or bad?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Reaper
09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough
09 Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Dont have a 1 inch but a 1 1/2 inch. Have 68000 miles on the truck and not one problem from the block and still rides great. Dont do any offroading all highway miles.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 Redneck View Post
Dont have a 1 inch but a 1 1/2 inch. Have 68000 miles on the truck and not one problem from the block and still rides great. Dont do any offroading all highway miles.
thanks, good to hear, im not much of a 4x4er either, too scared to scratch my baby! that's why i was thinking that a 1 inch block wouldn't be that big of a deal. i was just looking to see if anybody has had issues with them but also i'd like to hear from the people that have had zero issues with them.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
same here on my 13. easy install with 2 jack stands and a jack...you WILL need new u bolts and shocks
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremanpat View Post
same here on my 13. easy install with 2 jack stands and a jack...you WILL need new u bolts and shocks
cool, how does it feel? do you notice any difference? or axle wrap, from what i've read?
i already have 5100's in the back, im probably going with the readylift 1", comes with new u-bolts.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 1" toytec blocks w/rear spring tsb and have had zero issues. I think they say anything over 1.5" is where you begin having issues with axle wrap.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2011sr5 View Post
I'm running 1" toytec blocks w/rear spring tsb and have had zero issues. I think they say anything over 1.5" is where you begin having issues with axle wrap.
how did you do it? i looked under there and thought i could just take off the u-bolts and jack it up to place the block on, lower it down and put on the new u-bolts...... im guessing it's not as easy as that though?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It's all keyboard fabrication hype. My streeter and my 4x4 both use my custom steel blocks and have no ill effects. They're better than some add a leaf that has no business squished into your leaf pack creating a shear point on the leaf above it squeaking and killing your ride and your back. Click my sig and buy the best steel blocks you can find. Custom u-bolt options too. Keep 'em 3" or smaller and you'll be fine running blocks. Stay away from cast steel and aluminum junk, now those blocks ARE bad. Basically the ones you'll find in stores.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
It's all keyboard facbrication hype. My streeter and my 4x4 both use my custom steel blocks and have no ill effects. They're better than some add a leaf that has no business squished into your leaf pack creating a shear point on the leaf above it squeaking and killing your ride and your back. Click my sig and buy the best steel blocks you can find. Custom u-bolt options too. Keep 'em 3" or smaller and you'll be fine running blocks. Stay away from cast steel and aluminum junk, now those blocks ARE bad. Basically the ones you'll find in stores.
lol, i ordered the readylift 1" blocks already, which are cast iron, but have a lifetime warranty, why do you say they're bad?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
how did you do it? i looked under there and thought i could just take off the u-bolts and jack it up to place the block on, lower it down and put on the new u-bolts...... im guessing it's not as easy as that though?
Its pretty straight forward. Here's the instructions I used, but instead of unbolting the axle all at once I unbolted and installed blocks one side side at a time.

http://http://www.toyteclifts.com/im...structions.pdf
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #14
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I personally didn't have problems with the ones I used until I replaced them with mine, (see pics of them on the scale) Another forum member on a street truck forum said his broke. Here is a pic. Just check your ubolt torque now and then and you should be fine. I offer mine in increments of 1/4" and depending on the height of the lift or drop, I taper the block to avoid having to use those horrible degree shims that pull the pin out of the hole and are made out of a material that is known to crack.

I also offset the pin and hole on my blocks offset from center, to either push the drive shaft back in a 1/2" on lifted trucks since the shaft pulls out some when lifting and do the opposite for my lowering blocks since dropping pushes the shaft inward into the trans and can bottom out inside when hauling or when lowered a lot.

2nd pic is a cast steel block that failed. The reason a lot of aftermarket blocks fail is because they're hollow and the axle pad sits right on the edge and puts pressure on the wall, causing the block to eventually fail. You can see this starting to happen in pic 3. This is most likely why the cast one failed.
Attached Thumbnails
1" inch rear block.....-blocksbeefed.jpg   1" inch rear block.....-brokenblocks.jpg   1" inch rear block.....-imgp9080.jpg   1" inch rear block.....-captured201111500027.jpg   1" inch rear block.....-captured201111500028.jpg  

Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #15
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
zero issues with mine... had them on for about 50000 alrdy... damn.... wow.. i drove alot!!
well i dont know how axle wrap feels so...
nothing i that i have noticed so far
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #16

thanks guys, and thanks brian for taking your time with your comment.
i'll be using the readylift 1" block, hopefully i won't have any issues with them.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2011sr5 View Post
Its pretty straight forward. Here's the instructions I used, but instead of unbolting the axle all at once I unbolted and installed blocks one side side at a time.

http://http://www.toyteclifts.com/im...structions.pdf
thanks david. the link doesn't seem to work for me though. i was going to use my tire jack and a couple jack stands, one side at a time. will that be enough?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Got a 1" block here and offroad my truck almost every other weekend and does just fine.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #19
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
thanks guys, and thanks brian for taking your time with your comment.
i'll be using the readylift 1" block, hopefully i won't have any issues with them.
Anytime Jeremy. Your 1"ers should be just fine. Check your u-bolts periodically. I like to paint a white line on the back of the nuts so I can simply look underneath from time to time and make sure they're doing good.
Attached Thumbnails
1" inch rear block.....-captured201111500035.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #20

Navy:
Quote:
thanks david. the link doesn't seem to work for me though. i was going to use my tire jack and a couple jack stands, one side at a time. will that be enough?
It worked ok for me. I was using a hydraulic lift though. Instead of using jack stands on the frame I used them to support the axle. Than lifted the frame via hydraulic lift. You may want to just fallow the Toytec instruction sense your be using the same tools.
Sorry about the bad link. This one should work.
http://www.toyteclifts.com/images/st...structions.pdf