Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2013 SUSPENSION PROBLEM!!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
EVILSKEEMZ is on a distinguished road
Name: EVILSKEEMZ
EVILSKEEMZ's Tacoma Gallery
Angry 2013 SUSPENSION PROBLEM!!!!

So, I've been following this forum for a bit since I just got my 2013 2.7l 4x4 regular cab. First off I love the truck but this past weekend I put about 480lbs of cement in the back and I noticed a harsh and noisy ride. I unloaded the bed and I noticed the back of the truck sagging. I didn't measure it before the load but it is considerably lower without it. especially on one side (left).The back suspension was making noise with the load and now without. I'm pissed! I called Toyota customer service and got a case number. I made an appointment to go back to the dealer this week. I know of the TSB for the other model years but has anybody had similar problems with any of the 2013's???
Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
is the noise made when you are driving are just any time the rear suspension is articulating/doing its job?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Going over bumps
Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

okay, so its not the drive shaft at the diff. I dont know if this could be it, but i think i remeber reading somewhere that toyota made a typo when doing the torque specifications for the U-bolts that hold down the leaf packs. I dont know but maybe they are moving between the u-bolt and the axle causing a noise. Now I think my idea hear is a little extreme, but have you checked the u bolts to see if they are loose, or under torqued?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 and two weeks after I bought it I loaded up with approx. 400 lbs of camping supplies and I experienced no such issues. In fact, I noticed how it felt like I had nothing in it. I would definitely stay on top of the dealer and make sure this is addressed. Sounds like there may be an issue.

Did you check how many leafs you have in the rear? 3 or 4? I've heard of people complaining about the height drop and harsh ride with a load, but haven't seen anyone mention that it was still dropped without the load in it.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
2012 TRD Off Road here, I have 3 leafs, and I have loaded about 400 lbs of camping gear as well, no issues.

I did tighten my u-bolts to 73 foot lbs. when the truck was about a week old, but I have doubts that is the issue here.

If you unloaded it and it is still acting funny, you definitely have a problem that needs looking into.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
okay, so its not the drive shaft at the diff. I dont know if this could be it, but i think i remeber reading somewhere that toyota made a typo when doing the torque specifications for the U-bolts that hold down the leaf packs. I dont know but maybe they are moving between the u-bolt and the axle causing a noise. Now I think my idea hear is a little extreme, but have you checked the u bolts to see if they are loose, or under torqued?
I did look under their but I didn't put a wrench to it. The looked tight but, I will defiantly take a better look with a wrench.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
I have a 2013 and two weeks after I bought it I loaded up with approx. 400 lbs of camping supplies and I experienced no such issues. In fact, I noticed how it felt like I had nothing in it. I would definitely stay on top of the dealer and make sure this is addressed. Sounds like there may be an issue.

Did you check how many leafs you have in the rear? 3 or 4? I've heard of people complaining about the height drop and harsh ride with a load, but haven't seen anyone mention that it was still dropped without the load in it.
I believe it's a 3 leaf pack.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's a non issue since the OP has a regular cab as far as the leaf spring TSB is concerned since it only pertains to access cabs and double cabs.

as far as noises, I would check to make sure everything is tight whether you do it or the dealer does it.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #11

Regardless of the leaf pack you have, You should bring it to your dealer and tell them about the sound

the suspension will sag over time but noise shouldnt be occuring regardless of the amount of weight you put in (realistic weight for our trucks of course-->not saying to throw 4 tons in there lol). Guys around here have overloaded there trucks and they dont have noise.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Thanks to all for the feedback!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
the suspension will sag over time but noise shouldnt be occuring regardless of the amount of weight you put in (realistic weight for our trucks of course-->not saying to throw 4 tons in there lol). Guys around here have overloaded there trucks and they dont have noise.[/QUOTE]

How much sag or settling is normal?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #14

How much sag or settling is normal?[/QUOTE]

well for your vehicle it shouldnt sag, lol its a brand new leaf pack. Mine have saged maybe 1/4' to 1/2" in like 3 years. I have also loaded the shit out of mine a few times, anything from mulch, tractors/tractor parts, garbage, scrap. So definatly over the 400lb mark.

Now some people will go through a leaf pack from constant load, or usual load, and may flatten out there leafs but this can't be the case on such a new vehicle. It was only 400lbs of concrete right. And im assuming this was the heaviest thing you have thrown in the truck as well?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Quote:
How much sag or settling is normal?
well for your vehicle it shouldnt sag, lol its a brand new leaf pack. Mine have saged maybe 1/4' to 1/2" in like 3 years. I have also loaded the shit out of mine a few times, anything from mulch, tractors/tractor parts, garbage, scrap. So definatly over the 400lb mark.

Now some people will go through a leaf pack from constant load, or usual load, and may flatten out there leafs but this can't be the case on such a new vehicle. It was only 400lbs of concrete right. And im assuming this was the heaviest thing you have thrown in the truck as well?[/QUOTE]

To be exact six 80lbs bags of cement which comes out to 480 exactly. Btw it has been the only thing that I have put in it.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILSKEEMZ View Post

To be exact six 80lbs bags of cement which comes out to 480 exactly. Btw it has been the only thing that I have put in it.
Still shouldnt be happening. What is the sound? kinda like a squeek or something? maybe there isnt enough lubrication between the leafs, or those pad things that are between the leafs (forget the name...something like buffer pad or something). Still the leaf pack should be ready to go from the factory regardless.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Quote:
Still shouldnt be happening. What is the sound? kinda like a squeek or something? maybe there isnt enough lubrication between the leafs, or those pad things that are between the leafs (forget the name...something like buffer pad or something). Still the leaf pack should be ready to go from the factory regardless.
It defiantly sounds like metal to metal banging. I'm just going to wait to see how the stealership is going to handle this.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
Thanks to all for the input
Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
oddly enough i experienced something similar... 2012 AC with 4 leaf pack. NO such mechanical noises but i noticed before loading my bed up with gear yesterday that the drivers side rear fender was sitting at least an 1-1.5"s closer to the tire than the passenger side. my driveway is pretty flat. odd...
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Ok so I took the truck to the dealership and service guy brings it out about an hour and half later says the noise that I heard was the trailer hitch receiver. I said no way and demonstrated the noise. He brings it back in and comes back another hour later and says the left leaf spring is bad. There going to change it when the parts come in but only the one side. My question is shouldn't both sides be changed or will I be good with the one? I asked him that question and gave me the basic stealership answer which was the other side is "good". Anybody?