Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Pro Comp or Fabtech?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
rallsp12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ralls
rallsp12's Tacoma Gallery
Pro Comp or Fabtech?

I have an 08 4WD tacoma with no modifications and am wanting to put a 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires. which kind of lift would you prefer? Pro Comp or Fabtech? or are there any different you would highly prefer than those?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Canadian in the South
CraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCraigTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
CraigTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I will tell you one thing.....Fabtech is a great company to deal with. I had a couple of issues with them, and they were right there to warranty some stuff. I can't complain about the company or lift quality.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
well i talked to 2 people that put lifts on and one said fabtech definently its a lot better and it doesnt use what they called "grenade" something.... but the other place said that what your order from fabtech there have been cases where you have to order the base kit again. but they both look good i just dont know much about them and what will last and so on
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, If you wheel DO NOT GET THE FABTECH.

bottom line the fabtech bracketry is GARBAGE. Procomp kit is FAR BETTER, way more stout, and the straight cross member is a much better platform for mounting skids.

The fabtech bracket does not provide any additional clearance even with its arch, the diff is still just as low.

I have compared both side by side, and am 100% on this.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
And if i have get the 6 inch lift should i take off the mud flaps because some people say it makes it look higher?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
"Kill BABIES"
Re8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Bn 7th Marine Kilo Co. Weapons PLT - Infantry Mortarman
Name: m0nk
Re8elmonk0341's Tacoma Gallery
I have a ProComp 6" lift with 35's now...as of right now I have no complaints.....yet! hahaha I don't know too much 'bout lift and this is my first time ever owning and driving a lifted truck so Im a NB too. I went to 4 Wheel Parts and they guy said that he would only go with PC and thats all he have on his trucks.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
well i dont crawl or go muddin to much its mainly for looks so ill prob go with pro comp. thats what i liked first off. check out this link... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN. i like this truck a lot except ill prob have BFG instead of pro comp tires. and how much do you think the lift on this truck cost?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I say PC --

too bad you're a 4x4... you could run TC lift spindles and a mid travel C/O for 6" lift...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallsp12 View Post
well i dont crawl or go muddin to much its mainly for looks so ill prob go with pro comp. thats what i liked first off. check out this link... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN. i like this truck a lot except ill prob have BFG instead of pro comp tires. and how much do you think the lift on this truck cost?
If he's running the MX c/o's then that lift is around 2600
see here: http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/share...rce=googlebase
Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
well can you tell if he is runnin those by what he says on the description? sorry i dont know a lot about this stuff
Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
"Kill BABIES"
Re8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Can I use Toytech C/O's and the 3" spacers with my lift now? To give it an added 3" lift of just go w/o the spacers and just go with the C/O's?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
My other ride Hovers
Alaskaflyer has a spectacular aura aboutAlaskaflyer has a spectacular aura aboutAlaskaflyer has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard: Helicopter Flight Mechanic
Alaskaflyer's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you can stack a spacer on top of a coilover.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
"Kill BABIES"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
I don't think you can stack a spacer on top of a coilover.

Can I get the Toytech C/O's instead of the way more expensive ProComps C/O's with my current lift???
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
If you are just going to use the truck on the street, the PC kit is perfect. Its less expensive and with the money you save you can buy a set of aftermarket coil overs to really take it to the next level! We make King and Fox reservoir replacement coil overs that will work with either kit.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

6" lifts use whats called a drop cradle that takes the mounting point of the lower control arm and drops it 6"- from there they make up the difference in space between the upper and lower arm by providing a longer replacement spindle. Then the kit either has a coil spacer or replacement coil over

3" kits usually are either replacement coil overs, coil spacers or Pre-Load struts like the Bilstien 5100's. These kits utilize all the stock mounting points for the arms and basicly force the suspension down, therefore adding lift.

Now there are 4" and 4.5" replacement spindles that just replace your factory spindles and move the mounting of the wheel bearings down. Some people "stack" spindles and coil overs to achieve 7" of lift.

Hope this helps answer your question-

Jon P
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
6" lifts use whats called a drop cradle that takes the mounting point of the lower control arm and drops it 6"- from there they make up the difference in space between the upper and lower arm by providing a longer replacement spindle. Then the kit either has a coil spacer or replacement coil over

3" kits usually are either replacement coil overs, coil spacers or Pre-Load struts like the Bilstien 5100's. These kits utilize all the stock mounting points for the arms and basicly force the suspension down, therefore adding lift.

Now there are 4" and 4.5" replacement spindles that just replace your factory spindles and move the mounting of the wheel bearings down. Some people "stack" spindles and coil overs to achieve 7" of lift.

Hope this helps answer your question-

Jon P
And the spindle lifts are only for non-4x4, right?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Downsouth Motorsport

Yeah sorry- spindle lifts are ONLY for the 2WD models-

Some people now are stacking a 6" cradle style kit with a longer than recommended coil over and uni-ball arm and getting 12-13" of lift...

Sounds scary!!!