Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

To TSB or Not to TSB

Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
nytro is on a distinguished road
nytro's Tacoma Gallery
To TSB or Not to TSB

Hey everyone, Ive been reading this site for the past year trying to avoid posting stupid "what should I do" questions but it looks like I'm going to have to...my apologies, but thanks in advance for your forthcoming words of wisdom.

Anyways, I've decided to put 5100's all the way around with the front set at 1.75 with the stock coils.

I'm also going to be adding a LEER shell soon.

I'm looking to level it, but having some rake is not a bad thing either.
As it sits right now stock, the rear is exactly 2" higher than the front.

My question is: Would the TSB rear be enough to achieve this with the weight of the cap, or would an additional AAL be needed?

The reason I ask is I'm not sure how much everything will settle over time, and if an additional AAL is needed, I would save a step and skip the hassle of going to the dealer and just get the larger AAL. But if the TSB is adequate, I could save the $$ for the AAL and buy something else...
Old 10-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I have an '11 AC (long box) with the TSB springs with 5100's set at 1.75" on stock coils and a Leer 100RCC cap. I had a slight (3/4" IIRC) reverse rake until I got the TSB done. With the new leafs I'm just a bit higher in the rear, but not by much. This is a commercial-grade cap and is heavier than some at around 225 lbs.

Welcome!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
If your front billies are at 1.75", and no tsb in the back, there is no way the rear should be higher than the front. The front should be a little higher than the back if no TSB.

Am I right guys?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
If your front billies are at 1.75", and no tsb in the back, there is no way the rear should be higher than the front. The front should be a little higher than the back if no TSB.

Am I right guys?
im thinking that the 5100's at 1.75" is his plan and not on yet.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
x2.

My truck was level with 5100's at 1.75 in the front and no TSB in the back.

This is what it looked like with that set-up and some weight in the bed:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
nytro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
I have an '11 AC (long box) with the TSB springs with 5100's set at 1.75" on stock coils and a Leer 100RCC cap. I had a slight (3/4" IIRC) reverse rake until I got the TSB done. With the new leafs I'm just a bit higher in the rear, but not by much. This is a commercial-grade cap and is heavier than some at around 225 lbs.

Welcome!
Thanks Bobbb! Great info. Sounds like you're running a very similar set up to what I'm looking to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post

Am I right guys?
Theoretically, with a beginning difference of 2" front to back, the rear would still be .25" higher with no TSB. My question is how the weight of a cap will effect this number and if the TSB is enough to keep the rear slightly higher even after things settle.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
nytro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
Correct. They are not on yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
x2.

My truck was level with 5100's at 1.75 in the front and no TSB in the back.

This is what it looked like with that set-up and some weight in the bed:
Thanks for the pic! I would say that weight is a cap or two....
Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytro View Post
Correct. They are not on yet.
Ok good, just confirming.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would skip it for rear leaf springs.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I just went out and re-measured to see if/how much the TSB springs might have settled. IIRC I put them on about six months ago. Measuring to the top of the fender opening dead above the axle I now have 37" in front and 36-3/4" in the rear. I've been hauling some pretty heavy loads this summer as well as about 1500 miles of trailer towing. Something to think about in your decision OP.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
nytro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just went out and re-measured to see if/how much the TSB springs might have settled. IIRC I put them on about six months ago. Measuring to the top of the fender opening dead above the axle I now have 37" in front and 36-3/4" in the rear. I've been hauling some pretty heavy loads this summer as well as about 1500 miles of trailer towing. Something to think about in your decision OP.
Thanks a lot for the info!!! This helps tremendously!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #12

Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytro View Post
Thanks a lot for the info!!! This helps tremendously!

Edit: Just looked through my old posts and see that I did this in February and my front was at 37" and the rear at 37-1/4".
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
nytro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Edit: Just looked through my old posts and see that I did this in February and my front was at 37" and the rear at 37-1/4".
Thanks again Bobbb! Your help is above and beyond...more rep coming your way.
You've helped me make up my mind.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Welcome!

This is me.

Def do the TSB. It should be free on your 2011 unless you drive 50K miles each year.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Just for clarification for any newbie there are multiple TSBs(technical service Bulletin) issued for a model. This thread is referring to the "Harsh Ride" TSB.

I say get the rear leafs but don't count on them lasting if you plan on hauling or towing heavy loads.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
ROAD DAWG is on a distinguished road
Navy: boatswains'mate,2nd
ROAD DAWG's Tacoma Gallery
tsb and front ride height

i've been approved for the tsb(4 pak) on my 2010 trd sport,4dr s/b..after looking at some trucks on the local lot,equipted like mine(4 dr,auto trans,2wd),i've noticed that the trucks with the factory 4 pak leafs(2011/2012) sit consistantly 1 in higher in the front than my 2010...could it be that my 2010 has settled or fatigued or is the newer model useing a longer factory spring,i plan on going with the "tsb" and 5100 in the rear straight off the bat and see what that looks like,i suspect that there will be too much rake...i'm not too cool on preloading the fronts(even @.85) and i don't want to go to a 620# spring...i'd like to see how it could develop with 5100 all around(@ 0") with 2011/2012 trd sport coils...i took my measurments from trucks that were equipted exactly like mine...any input would be appreciated!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
just got off the phone with local toyota parts at dealership,parts guy said they listed the same spring part# for2010-2012 for my particular truck...how can the difference in front height be accounted for other than spring setteling/fatigue/wear?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
nytro's Tacoma Gallery
So I decided to get the TSB done. (yes, the Harsh ride TSB, thanks for the clarification Dexterdog. Hopefully since this was in the suspension section people didn't mistake this for the Windshield Wind Noise at Highway Speeds TSB.... Just kidding. I wrote that in the sarcasm font.)
Anyways, an interesting result. The rear ride height is unchanged. 22" before with three leaf pack, and 22" after with four leaf pack measured from center of hub to bottom of fender.
The ride definitely feels tighter, but unfortunately didn't gain any height. Wasn't expecting that as everything I have read pointed to at least a half inch increase.
Oh well, I'll put the front Billies on and see how it sits and decide from there what more I might need to do to the rear.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #19
i'm still trying to figure out where that "extra 1 in." comes from on the new trucks(2012/13),as opposed to my 2010 trd sport.i did my measurement on level ground(or appeared to be level)from the ground thru verticle hub center to bottom of flare....all of the newer trucks were 1 in higher..hopefully i'll be getting the rear tsb this week when the 5100's come in.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
had the rear "tsb" done,along with bilstein 5100's installed at all four corners...my fronts were set at .85,i was concerned that the "tsb would put me too high in the rear,with the .85 setting i'm sitting at basically factory rake.another concerned was ride quality...i didn't want to spend tons of cash on a system that would render my daily driver a pain in the butt to even think about driving.with the 5100's and the 4 leaf pak this truck is a joy to drive,there is no harshness...compared to the 4600's that came on my 2010 trd sport prerunner the difference is like night and day,handles much better,doesn't dive under brakeing...a much more sporting feel all around...the rear feels especially planted and it's not even in the same zip code as "harsh"!my initial impression,after my normal urban route with a good mix of surfaces and 30 miles of interstate is that the bilstein 5100's are far superior to the "blue and yellow" bilsteins that came with the truck!my truck, with 37,000 miles is much more comfortable than it was brand new,and a lot more fun to drive...i'll post pics soon.