Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to rebuild ICON/DR coilovers

Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
How to rebuild ICON/DR coilovers

A little video of how to rebuild your icon or donahoe racing coilovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6Uk...ature=youtu.be

Video may still be uploading.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Nice video Josh. +1

lol @ 2:08
Old 10-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Strong work man!

What special tools were needed?.....as everyone seems to whine about re-building Icons.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Strong work man!

What special tools were needed?.....as everyone seems to whine about re-building Icons.
only special tool i know of is a needle valve adapter needed to recharge them with nitrogen. that's only for the non-reservior shocks though. the reservior equipped ones have a standard schrader valve.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
only special tool i know of is a needle valve adapter needed to recharge them with nitrogen. that's only for the non-reservior shocks though. the reservior equipped ones have a standard schrader valve.
Ya first off i spilled oil everywhere, then the stupid white inner seal would not come out... If that part where i took the seal off the screw driver was a little longer you would see me throw the seal. lol and @sublime you can take them to your local polaris, or bike/dirtbike shop they have the same needle.

NOTE: All i got from icon was the rebuild kit, thats it
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
What did that run?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Cost about 25 bucks for both. yours will be close to that sometimes lower.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet man!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
akstewie84 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lorin
akstewie84's Tacoma Gallery
If I send them to you broken down (no sprin and bolt on parts just shock body drained) and empty can you clean and rebuild them for me? Ill buy oil and charge them myself I just don't have a bench and vice. Ill supply the seal kits as well with the shocks. How much $$$ I can pay pal ya.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm planning on doing this within the next month. My Donahoe's are really needing it. Overall it looks like a pretty straight forward, but I'm wondering about making them extended. I'm not 100% sure if they are extended as Icon doesn't have the part numbers anymore to check. I always heard you remove a spacer to extended them, but the video talks about shaving down the spacer. Can anyone else elaborate on this?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
jjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to beholdjjbeenken is a splendid one to behold

Name: Big Daddy Woo Woo
jjbeenken's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 swb with Icons. I ordered spacers to extend them. The first gens may be different. The only thing that I have never been sure on and the Icon guys have never had an exact answer is what is the depth of the dividing piston. As far as pitted shafts I used 600/1000/1500 sand paper and cleaned them up. That many not work in all situations. I have a post somewhere on my rebuild.