Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 and OME 885 install problems. HELP!!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
jakeworthy is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
jakeworthy's Tacoma Gallery
5100 and OME 885 install problems. HELP!!

I installed my 5100 and OME 885x coils today and ran into a couple problems. First off I forgot the washer that goes on the top of the shock underneath the top plate (my bad) so after taking it all back out and installing that washer and putting it all back on, the top nut on each shock can't go any tighter and I have about a 1/8-1/4in gap between my bushing/washer and the nuts. So there is like no pressure on the washer and bushing. Do I need new bushings? Not sure what the problem is.
I used the method on here following the video.

The second issue I have is that I'm way to dreaming high in the front!!! I'm gained like 4in from top of tire to wheel well!! What the hell!? An one ever seen that much?

Any insight would help. Thanks!

here are some pics.

this is before i added the washer i forgot but its still doing this even after iput it in. just not as much. like 1/8-1/4"

Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
The shock rod bushing and washer pattern should be like this:

Nut

Washer arching down

Bushing

Top plate

Bushing

Washer arching up

Shock plastic dust cover with metal insert

As for the ride height, double check the bottom coil spring perch is not upside down and the coil spring it's self is not upside down. And for the 0 setting the c-clip should be at the lowest setting.

Post some pictures...
Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Uuh. Those look like the 5100s for 1st gen tacomas. The lower spring perch looks like black steel. Not the unpainted aluminum on the 2nd gen.

Plus you are missing the dust boot...
Old 10-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #4

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
What part number is on the shocks?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
does the dust boot matter? i have it but what is that going to change? and as for the black spring perch, im pretty sure they now come with those. at first i thought that maybe i had the wrong size billies but i double checked the part numbers and im pretty sure its right. box says 24-185711
Old 10-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
I ment 24-186711
Old 10-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #7

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it does matter. The plastic boot has a metal spacer inside it that will cause the shock shaft to stick up past the top plate if not used. You can take the metal spacer out of the plastic boot if you want but it needs to be on the shock under the bottom washer.

Not sure if they changed to black steel coil seats for the 2nd gens. If so that's news to me. If they did not change to black steel spring seats then maybe they put the wrong spring seats in your boxes...
Old 10-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Ok we'll tomorrow il look into adding the boot. But that Still leaves me with this crazy 4in lift. According to DSM... "

'Bilstein 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Front shocks for a '05-'12 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 & 2wd TRD (Pre-Runner)

Shocks are for 6 Lug vehicles Only!!!

Front Shock Part #: BE5-C475-H1

These are the "Front Shocks" only

Please Read: There has been a running change to this shock and the part # is now a 24-186711 and it will have a Stamped Black Lower Spring Plate
not an Aluminum one as seen in the picture'

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Old 10-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #9

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeworthy View Post

Please Read: There has been a running change to this shock and the part # is now a 24-186711 and it will have a Stamped Black Lower Spring Plate
not an Aluminum one as seen in the picture'

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

Ok. I learned something new.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
I wish it was something like wrong part number. Cuz idk what else to do
Old 10-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #12
pringles808 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
pringles808's Tacoma Gallery
double check to see whether or not the billies are set to the "0" setting. thats the only reason i could think of why your getting 4" of lift. 2" of lift for the spring + 2" of lift from the shock = 4"
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

671taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
What made you get the 885 coils? They are recommended for double cabs or access cabs with a heavy off road bumper.

I think you should have gone with 884 coils unless you plan to add a steel bumper.
i'm running 885x's and 5100s on my regular cab with no problems and no intentions of adding a plate bumper. rides fine for me.

OP i too forgot to put that washer on during install..took it apart again to put it on. i agree with the others make sure your bottom plate isn't upside down and set at 0.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
I am going to go check all these things right now. And as for getting the 885s, I was told by many people these would be good, and many people are using them with no heavy jumpers and are ok. Thanks for all the 2 cents. Hope I get this figured out
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
ok guys, the spring pirch is not upside down, the coil is not upside down, and it is set on the lowest setting. to me it almost seems like the shocks are too long or soemthing.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
In your fourth picture they do look awkwardly long. I used to have them and remember them being shorter.

You should measure them off of the shock and call up some places to compare numbers.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
I can tell from the pic they are set up correctly as far as the spring cup, you are just missing the dust boot.

You may just need to drive it a bit and see if the springs settle. Have you driven it at all?
No I haven't driven it much except for parking it on the driveway last night. You think it was settle 2inches!?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
Well I looked and the new shocks are almost exactly the same size as my old ones. The 885s must be giving me too much lift...