Peeing in your gas tank
OdessaAbe is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
OdessaAbe's Tacoma Gallery
Pissed about purchase/ 5100 mistake

f
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdessaAbe View Post
Am I a dumbass in thinking that the dealers should be more thorough in their grouping of parts, or should I just assume that I know more than the guy whose buisiness it is to know. Let me know if I'm wrong about the shocks. Thanks
You might be a dumb-ass, but it's not for assuming that they should know, it's for not doing your homework.

You call/email etc a parts distributor for stuff you want, and they in turn sell you stuff. They assume you know what you want and know the application you intend for the items you purchased. This is real life, and there is not someone to hold your hand all the way to the dirt nap, you have to do somethings on your own.

In this case it should have been all of the homework on what you needed for your lift. This involved asking all the right questions to the right people. TW is a great resource. The members here have done it all. If you felt you would be considered stupid for posting your questions, you could have PM'ed a member who's build is the same type of setup you want. I'm sure you would have gotten a helpful reply.

But don't blame the guy that sold you want you wanted.

Frank
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Peeing in your gas tank

[
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

[QUOTE=OdessaAbe;5864997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
That's the typical mindset of today. Nobody seems to know how, or cares to do their job. As long as we keep supporting suppliers that work this way why would it ever change. I'm not looking for a hand holder, however you probably are as long as it's a guy, but how about caring enough to know your products thoroughly.

The main reason I'm pissed is because I wanted this truck to be a simple bolt on project. I already did all the figuring and engineering on my big truck.
"Don't blame the guy that sold me what I wanted" what I wanted was the correct length shocks to go with the specific leaf springs I was buying
Look, they did their job. You asked to be sold x, y, and z. They supplied this. If you wanted your truck built with everything taken into consideration, you should have taken it to a shop, or done a better job at researching before you purchased. Learn to take some grownup responsibility for your own actions.

Frank
Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in sort of the same situation... I've got a wheelers 3 leaf and I left the overload leaf in place. I'm at roughly 2 inches of lift which puts me over the OEM replacement 5100 ideal lengths. When I'm driving the shock responds like it's at it's extended limit and not in it's sweet spot. I"m going to measure lengths today and figure this out since i'd rather not destroy a nice pair of shocks the next time I go wheeling and flex the sh*& out of it. I would suggest you get the shock for your application by measuring or researching with your lift numbers.

Jack your truck up and put the rear frame on jacks. make some measurements between shock mounts and bumpstop to frame and get a feel for what shock lengths you are going to need. I'm not an expert or a mechanic but it's how I plan to go about fixing my problem since I don't have the time or ability to leave it at the shop.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i have to agree with Frank, the salesman did his job and sold you the parts you wanted. i wouldn't have ordered without being 100% certain that everything would fit to the specs i was looking for, who did you purchase through, is it possible to exchange maybe?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with these guys man. I've made the mistake before on some turbo projects. I order some AN fittings before and then a particular length of steel braided hose to go with it. But the hose I ordered was the wrong size. Those guys don't know the application. Maybe to them I just needed some more fittings and hose, and had the right stuff already. They did there job. In sure you can return the stuff and figure out what you need.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Did you call Wheelers, or order off the website?

Any dealer will sell you whatever parts you ask for, it is the buyers responsibility to ask if the parts will work in the given application. Wheeler's definitely steered me in the right direction when I ordered my lift. They corrected my original parts list with what would work for my truck.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like you didn't order a lift kit which would provide what you are asking but individual parts to lift your truck. I will agree with you to a certain extent that alot of people get the 5100s for the rear and that is not the proper shock for alot of applications.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Peeing in your gas tank

[
Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=OdessaAbe;5865120]
Quote:
No Frank, I,m not a kid. I asked the man at wheeler's plenty of questions about the shocks front and rear and the coils as well. If you want to fight Frank, fight for air and take that cock out of your mouth
Okay no need for that man
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
UBIQUE

Quote:
No Frank, I,m not a kid. I asked the man at wheeler's plenty of questions about the shocks front and rear and the coils as well. If you want to fight Frank, fight for air and take that cock out of your mouth
What are you five years old? You'll get great customer service with that kind of attitude.

And it changes nothing.

Frank
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Wow. Your gonna fit in great. That's deff the best way to get a question answered.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
UBIQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post

Wow. Your gonna fit in great.
Yeah.. here.

Frank
Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Yeah.. here.

Frank
Only a matter of time.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Knock it off

and OP, adjust your attitude
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdessaAbe View Post
Let me know if I'm wrong about the shocks. Thanks
They supplied what you ordered

The End

You're welcome
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Off to a great start. I don't even think whipper ever told someone to put a dick in their mouth lol.

If you wanted a complete bolt on no questions asked you should have bought a complete kit. When you piece something together, it's up to you to know that you're buying the right components.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
Peeing in your gas tank

[