Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is easiest to lift? Front or Rear?

Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Hanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to behold
Name: Doug
Hanz's Tacoma Gallery
What is easiest to lift? Front or Rear?

I just installed an OME lift in the rear of my truck and it kicked my ass. I was working alone and ran into a few hang ups.

I have the front struts pre-assembled. Are they going to be easier to install than the rear?

Oh, I'm wrenching on a 2003 DBL Cab.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Is the front spring and shock is already assembled the hardest part is removing 3 top bolts and a bottom bolt and removing the old and putting in the new one.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I had a way easier time installing the preassembled fronts than my aal. I thought for sure the front would kick my butt, but not so much.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rear is more time consuming especially if you have a seized main eye bolt due to rust.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Hanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to beholdHanz is a splendid one to behold
Hanz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Is the front spring and shock is already assembled the hardest part is removing 3 top bolts and a bottom bolt and removing the old and putting in the new one.
That sounds too easy. I don't have to separate a ball joint?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

No you don't have too. Worst case is leverage to move the lower control arm bolt hole to match up to the shocks bolt hole.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Hardest part on the front for me was getting the bottom bolt in the new shock assembly.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Scrotie McBoogerballs
armyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rougharmyoffoo is a jewel in the rough

armyoffoo's Tacoma Gallery
Front was easiest, my springs came pre-assembled. Rear AAL kicked my butt, next time I'm going with a new leaf pack.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Hanz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rear is more time consuming especially if you have a seized main eye bolt due to rust.
The left front leaf spring bushing sleeve seized to the bolt. I did everything I could not to cut the bolt. I wasted two hours on that and ended up having to cut the bolt anyway. It's my only vehicle and I was working alone. I'm a little frightened to strand myself.

Quote:
No you don't have too. Worst case is leverage to move the lower control arm bolt hole to match up to the shocks bolt hole.
Thank you, I'm no longer afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Hardest part on the front for me was getting the bottom bolt in the new shock assembly.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear it doesn't sound so bad. I have some line up tools that may help me.