Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

885's or 886's?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
885's or 886's?

I have a dilemma of which springs to get for my 5100's currently set at 2.5 with stock TRD Off Road coils. I have pre runner style bumper with shackles light hoops and lights, picture below;

I know that 885's are up to 110lbs of additional weight and 886's are 200lbs+ additional weight.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I would bet 885s would be fine. That bumper can't weigh that much
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I would bet 885s would be fine. That bumper can't weigh that much
x2, I ran 885s with a bumper & winch. The bumper by it's self made them sag 3/8" or so but the ride was great. Added a winch, that's another story.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
885's with top plates. You have a Prerunner so you'll experience slightly more lift than what the 4x4 guys are showing.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
885's with top plates. You have a Prerunner so you'll experience slightly more lift than what the 4x4 guys are showing.
I don't think I will need top plates... 885's with 5100's set at .85 should give me almost 3" lift...
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
I don't think I will need top plates... 885's with 5100's set at .85 should give me almost 3" lift...
New 885's on 5100's at .85 will likely put you right at, if not a tad over 3" of lift. At least that's where my money is at.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
definitely don't need 886 for that thing
Old 10-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just out of curiosity... Why do you guys keep suggesting top plates?
Because personally I would avoid preloading the new coils. 885's with 1/2" plates on the DS and 1/4" on the PS would put you close to 3" of lift without adding preload to your new lift coils. Those short plates don't have any adverse affects on the suspension geometry.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Because personally I would avoid preloading the new coils. 885's with 1/2" plates on the DS and 1/4" on the PS would put you close to 3" of lift without adding preload to your new lift coils. Those short plates don't have any adverse affects on the suspension geometry.
Most likely I am getting the springs used, would that make a difference?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most likely I am getting the springs used, would that make a difference?
Depending on how they were used and how long, it could. Do you know if the springs you're getting are 885 or 885x?

The 885's are more prone to sagging as they age so applying a little preload might not be a bad thing and might be necessary to get the height your looking for. With used springs, it's a little bit of a crap shoot trying to guess what you'll need to do to make them end up at a specific height. New springs are predictable but used can really vary depending on the life they've had.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I may be wrong but I didn't think you could put 886 on 5100s?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Depending on how they were used and how long, it could. Do you know if the springs you're getting are 885 or 885x?

The 885's are more prone to sagging as they age so applying a little preload might not be a bad thing and might be necessary to get the height your looking for. With used springs, it's a little bit of a crap shoot trying to guess what you'll need to do to make them end up at a specific height. New springs are predictable but used can really vary depending on the life they've had.
The seller says they are 885's. Whats the difference between 885 and 885x?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The seller says they are 885's. Whats the difference between 885 and 885x?
the 885x is the newer version. less prone to sagging.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
I may be wrong but I didn't think you could put 886 on 5100s?
You can, it's not recommended though. The 886's should be paired with Nitrochargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post
the 885x is the newer version. less prone to sagging.
^This. They're still the same spring rate and length, they are just made different to resist sagging as they age.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Not to thread jack but what if you had full skids, sliders, and a bumper is on your agenda. You only wanted 2.5' of lift. Would the 855's do the job, or would 886's work better for the long run.

I just wont be able to get a lift and a bumper at the same time, so i dont want to run the 886 springs with no load and risk my cv's.

any thoughts?
hope that wasnt too confusing
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
Not to thread jack but what if you had full skids, sliders, and a bumper is on your agenda. You only wanted 2.5' of lift. Would the 855's do the job, or would 886's work better for the long run.

I just wont be able to get a lift and a bumper at the same time, so i dont want to run the 886 springs with no load and risk my cv's.

any thoughts?
hope that wasnt too confusing
Just use 886s. It won't hurt your drivetrain for a while.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got 2 7/8" lift with 885x coils no top plate spacer, 5100s @ 0".
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Alright super. Thanks for the Help!!

How much lift do you think 885's would give me with skids and sliders? probably under 3? Just debating on the bumper, so if i had to switch to 886's if i got the bumper in the end. Instead of the other way around