Notices

looking for advice - front springs

Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
jamess is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jamess's Tacoma Gallery
looking for advice - front springs

Good morning all!

I have recently purchased some front and rear 5100ss and I have a set of Alcan springs being shipped. The Alcans are supposed to give me 1.5" of lift over stock. I am replacing my rear leafs since they are flatter than flat, and I only wanted a little bit of lift. I plan on using the stock front coils and adjusting the 5100s so that i am close to level once the rear leafs are installed.

Would you all keep the stock coils or should I look for something else. I have about 97k on the 2006 TRD sport.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
I use the stock coils on mine. You should be fine, it just depends on how much $$ you wanna spend.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
If you set the fronts to level it out you will preload the stock coils and your ride quality suffers greatly, i have stock coils with the billies set at .85 and it's stiff, great for corners, not so great for absorbing bumps. I would recommend going with aftermarket coils and setting the billies at zero.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
If you set the fronts to level it out you will preload the stock coils and your ride quality suffers greatly
Your spring-rate doesn't magically change when you preload the springs unless you have TRD Off Road springs, or you pre-load them to the point of spring-bind.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are Sport springs and the ride quality like this is not great, or more like not as good as it could be, that's why i would recommend better springs if he wants to lift it.