Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon Stage one leveling

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
azonicbruce will become famous soon enough

Name: Bruce
azonicbruce's Tacoma Gallery
Icon Stage one leveling

Well, stoked that everything came in and was finally able to get installed, however, the shop didn't bother to level them liked I'd asked them to. Even bought the spanner wrench and left it there, with the instructions.

Am I correct that there is absolutely NO issue with lowering the Icons from the "stock" 2" lift to get the thing level? Yes, technically it will take off some preload, but even according to the instructions, they're set at 2" out of the box, but you adjust them afterwards up or down to get the level you need.

Also, I keep reading about people needing to compensate for one side tending to sit lower than the other. Which side is it on the Tacoma? When I measured mine it seemed about .25" lower on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Icon Stage one leveling-img_1039-1-.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

They tried to tell me I've have issues with the tires, but I'm running 265/75R16. Isn't that supposed to be largest tire with no rub, even with NO lift?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azonicbruce View Post
They tried to tell me I've have issues with the tires, but I'm running 265/75R16. Isn't that supposed to be largest tire with no rub, even with NO lift?
Correct, you should be ok with those tires and the level.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good.......I'd let them settle for a week and then make your adjustments for the lean. I think I've heard at least 1" of pre-load needs to be there.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

From everything I've read here, it seems, from stock, it requires about 1.75" to level. So seems like I'd only need them to lower it about .5" or so.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see why you wouldn't be okay. And its the drivers side that needs to be a tad higher. Maybe .25-.5" higher
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

Called Icon this morning and confirmed no adverse effect lower. I asked about a limit, but nothing specific was mentioned.

This evening, this is what I did. 3 full turns CCW on the left, 4 full turns CCW on the right. I have no idea exactly how much that was, but my GUESS is it's around 1/8" per full turn. so in total I went down approx 3/8"-1/2". Since it was almost impossible to find a level piece of concrete, it was really difficult to determine by measuring.

With the above adjustments I have what looks like an ever so SLIGHT positive rake. Looks pretty good. I think with that I'll go back and have the check the alignment again.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Btw, regarding alignment, here was my readout (before my adjustment this evening):

Front: Left
Actual---Before
0.1---0.7 Camber
2.0---1.4 Caster
0.03---0.02 Toe

Front: Right
Actual---Before
0.0---0.4 Camber
2.2---1.5 Caster
0.01----0.21 Toe

Does this look about right? I keep reading here that the targets are the following:

Camber - 0
Caster - 3
Toe - 0
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
alignment looks alright
Old 10-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
That alignment looks great......do you have UCA's? I needed 2.5+ faster to keep my 285's from rubbing.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
donwsmith56 is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
donwsmith56's Tacoma Gallery
So unlike the 5100's that give you .85, .1.75 and 2.5 the icon stage 1 is threaded so you can adjust from 0 to 2 inches due to the threading and adjusting using the spanner wrench? I just want to level for now and if I replace the rear spring pack be able to re-level. This sounds like the way I should go as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #14
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwsmith56 View Post
So unlike the 5100's that give you .85, .1.75 and 2.5 the icon stage 1 is threaded so you can adjust from 0 to 2 inches due to the threading and adjusting using the spanner wrench? I just want to level for now and if I replace the rear spring pack be able tonre-level. This sounds like the way I should go as well.
Every true coil over (Icon, Camburg, Sway-Away, Fox, King, Radflo, etc) allows you to do that
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
donwsmith56 is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
donwsmith56's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you, I only researched the 5100's. So much to learn!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #16

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwsmith56 View Post
Thank you, I only researched the 5100's. So much to learn!
You've got a lot to research
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Every true coil over (Icon, Camburg, Sway-Away, Fox, King, Radflo, etc) allows you to do that
Don't forget Evan - Walker Coilover from All Pro
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #18

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
0-3" my man!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #19

Transformation complete

Final Alignment #s:

Left
Camber - 0.0
Caster - 2.1
Toe - 0.00

Right
Camber - 0.1
Caster - 2.4
Toe - 0.2

Weird thing, the Right Toe was out of spec at 0.10, so I don't know if that was from my adjustment or if it already came out of alignment since Tuesday. How often should you check your alignment anyway?

Regardless, in the few days I've had this setup, I just can get over how awesome the Icon setup is. Fells much more stout, and can take corner WAY better than the stock setup. The few gravel roads I've been on since Tuesday have been rockin'. Worth every penny so far!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #20

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great man!