Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

one rear leafs broken

Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
newfieblue is on a distinguished road
newfieblue's Tacoma Gallery
one rear leafs broken

Heard a noise in the back end, metal on metal and found out one leaf is broken. 07 Tacoma TRD Canadian so there are 4 leafs(I think). What would be the best option to go? New leafs from Toyota will cost $468.00 each. Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Deaver/OME leaf packs or dealer leaf pack. Replacing just the broken leaf leaves you with three other degraded leaves and one good one. It will also make for a lopsided truck.
Something happened to cause the leaf to break. Poor quality control, bad roads, overloading, or age.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Deaver/OME leaf packs or dealer leaf pack. Replacing just the broken leaf leaves you with three other degraded leaves and one good one. It will also make for a lopsided truck.
Something happened to cause the leaf to break. Poor quality control, bad roads, overloading, or age.
x2
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Well we finally got our new replacement packs into production for 05+ Tacomas. They are a HD Factory style pack.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upt...eafsprings.htm
Old 10-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Well we finally got our new replacement packs into production for 05+ Tacomas. They are a HD Factory style pack.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upt...eafsprings.htm
i wish these were ready when mine broke over the summer!

oh well, good to know and when mine break again i'll be all over these.

sorry to divert from op's post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
i wish these were ready when mine broke over the summer!

oh well, good to know and when mine break again i'll be all over these.

sorry to divert from op's post
No worries about the divert. I am trying to see if it is covered on my certified warranty.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on what leafs broke but you could try to replace your secondary leafs with Chevy leafs. Search for Doug from OMD (4wd). That is if you are the handy/mechanic type.

I've got the standard 3 leaf Toyota pack and Wheelers 1.5" 3-leaf Progressive. I will be replacing the secondary leaf of the Toyota pack with a Chevy leaf. Should be nice!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Toyota doesn't cover the leaf springs in the comprehensive used warranty. Only links and bushings.

Try to see now what route to take. Local spring shop will cost around $200 to replace the single leaf. Pricing around today something with a 3" lift that will replace the stock leafs and will not break the bank.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
Getting the leaf fixed today because no suppliers in town or in east coast canada have the parts I need to be able to get to the rock within a 2 week window. Fixing the leaf will cost around $150.00.

Still looking at replacing the existing leafs as they have to be weaken now. Question I have though is when replacing the back shocks and leafs with a 3" leaf pack/shock (arbcanada) will I need to do anything to the first shocks?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
IMHO....poor quality is the reason, probably 2nd leaf broke about half inch behind the axle, both of mine broke in the same place. Toyota springs are shit. Why am I hearing so much about Chev spring leafs?

..I am adding another leaf to both sides tomorrow
Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
taylorf16 will become famous soon enough

Name: Noah
taylorf16's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up some sky jacker 2'' lifts springs from andys auto sport.. Shipped a set for $303 to Utah. I'll let you know how they turn out. I would take the stock ones off and replace them with some after market ones. Too much axle wrap, and garbage flex. Do your taco a favor and spend up to $400 on a good set of aftermarket springs. You may also need shocks, and some spacers up front to level everything out.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieblue View Post
Getting the leaf fixed today because no suppliers in town or in east coast canada have the parts I need to be able to get to the rock within a 2 week window. Fixing the leaf will cost around $150.00.

Still looking at replacing the existing leafs as they have to be weaken now. Question I have though is when replacing the back shocks and leafs with a 3" leaf pack/shock (arbcanada) will I need to do anything to the first shocks?

If you just added an AAL , for 2nd gens you can get away with keeping the stock rear shocks, anything over 1.5" , you'll want slightly longer shocks, on 1st gens. ANY amount of lift you'll need ext. shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmo View Post
IMHO....poor quality is the reason, probably 2nd leaf broke about half inch behind the axle, both of mine broke in the same place. Toyota springs are shit. Why am I hearing so much about Chev spring leafs?

..I am adding another leaf to both sides tomorrow
Because the Chevy/Ford springs are superior steel wise than the steel Toyota uses...
Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
I just called Andys after seeing your post, Thank you. He quoted me a price of 276.12 including shipping to Upstate NY, smoking deal for 2 rear leafs delivered. These are supposed to have 1.5 to 2.0 inches of lift, has anybody ever run them, they are the Skyjacker Softrides ? I have a Toytec AAL on right now, and am wondering if these will give me about the same amount of lift ? Thanks, didn't mean to hijack, I apoligize,just driving around on a broke leaf like everyone else it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorf16 View Post
I just picked up some sky jacker 2'' lifts springs from andys auto sport.. Shipped a set for $303 to Utah. I'll let you know how they turn out. I would take the stock ones off and replace them with some after market ones. Too much axle wrap, and garbage flex. Do your taco a favor and spend up to $400 on a good set of aftermarket springs. You may also need shocks, and some spacers up front to level everything out.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
taylorf16 will become famous soon enough

Name: Noah
taylorf16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkman View Post
I just called Andys after seeing your post, Thank you. He quoted me a price of 276.12 including shipping to Upstate NY, smoking deal for 2 rear leafs delivered. These are supposed to have 1.5 to 2.0 inches of lift, has anybody ever run them, they are the Skyjacker Softrides ? I have a Toytec AAL on right now, and am wondering if these will give me about the same amount of lift ? Thanks, didn't mean to hijack, I apoligize,just driving around on a broke leaf like everyone else it seems.
I installed mine yesterday, unfortunately I couldn't measure prior to install because my other leafs were shattered. it does lift the rear about 2 inches unloaded, I imagine a little bit of cargo will pull it down. I also had to go with a bigger shock. I had some laying around the shop from a previous project that were about 5 inches longer. I should be able to drive it today so I'll update on the ride quality. You also have the option to throw on your add a leaf, to increase height if you aren't happy.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Thanks for the info on them. I just ordered a pair,with delivery to the East Coast was 285.00 total, can't beat that. I am going to run them with the Toytec AAL for now, and a set of extra length Bilsteins I have. Hopefully the brake lines can remain stock length. Thanks again for the heads up about Andy's, they were a pleasure to deal with so far.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
wannaflyguy is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: EM2
Name: Stephen
wannaflyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkman View Post
Thanks for the info on them. I just ordered a pair,with delivery to the East Coast was 285.00 total, can't beat that. I am going to run them with the Toytec AAL for now, and a set of extra length Bilsteins I have. Hopefully the brake lines can remain stock length. Thanks again for the heads up about Andy's, they were a pleasure to deal with so far.
I just called Andy's(auto sports) and they quoted $202 per leaf($404 per pair)? Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #17

Army:
Maybe let them know a week ago we were getting them for half that, and to hook a brother up because we bought so many from them ? LOL I checked and see that they did change the price finally to 202.00 a side. Mine came today, and were shipped from a Company out of Texas called Transamerican Wholesale.at 972-538-8600 Don't know if they would sell to you or not ? They sure look pretty beefy, and with a bunch more arch compared to that junk 3 leaf set thats on there now. I'm trying to decide whether to run my Toytec AAL with them or not, have 5100's on the front at 2.5 and am going to install a set of 885 X when I do the rear. My truck has a ARE contractor cap, and about 500 pounds of equipment on it to contend with all the time.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
wannaflyguy is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: EM2
Name: Stephen
wannaflyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Damn! Two weeks after you guys buy yours and they DOUBLED the price, WTF? Just my luck..... Any one know of any really good deals on other Leaf Springs?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
BearBait is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
BearBait's Tacoma Gallery
Same issue, busted spring passenger side. 2005 TRD V6. Shop wants $800 to replace it. Obviously not doing it. Been following a few related posts and can't decide on stock from General Spring or a 3" leafs from Allpro. Oh yeah or maybe the HD set from Wheeler's. Can somebody clarify for me; if I lift the rear 3" what do I NEED to do to the front?

Of the three options what's the best if I am looking to repair what's broke, not real concerned about lift or looks(but it would be nice...), and have virtually no cash. Commute on road but LOTS of time on dirt roads, and tracks that used to be roads.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Are the leaf springs for 2005-2013 Taco's really that shit? What leaf packs from a Chevy would work on our trucks? I've got the 4 leaf version which came on my TRD Sport, does Chevy do 4 leaf?