1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

one rear leafs broken

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by newfieblue, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Oct 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    newfieblue

newfieblue [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Heard a noise in the back end, metal on metal and found out one leaf is broken. 07 Tacoma TRD Canadian so there are 4 leafs(I think). What would be the best option to go? New leafs from Toyota will cost $468.00 each. Thanks

2. Oct 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Deaver/OME leaf packs or dealer leaf pack. Replacing just the broken leaf leaves you with three other degraded leaves and one good one. It will also make for a lopsided truck.
    Something happened to cause the leaf to break. Poor quality control, bad roads, overloading, or age.

3. Oct 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    masshole taco

masshole taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    x2

4. Oct 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Well we finally got our new replacement packs into production for 05+ Tacomas. They are a HD Factory style pack.

5. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    i wish these were ready when mine broke over the summer!

oh well, good to know and when mine break again i'll be all over these.

sorry to divert from op's post

6. Oct 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    newfieblue

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    No worries about the divert. I am trying to see if it is covered on my certified warranty.

7. Oct 24, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    It depends on what leafs broke but you could try to replace your secondary leafs with Chevy leafs. Search for Doug from OMD (4wd). That is if you are the handy/mechanic type.

I've got the standard 3 leaf Toyota pack and Wheelers 1.5" 3-leaf Progressive. I will be replacing the secondary leaf of the Toyota pack with a Chevy leaf. Should be nice!

8. Oct 25, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    newfieblue

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Toyota doesn't cover the leaf springs in the comprehensive used warranty. Only links and bushings.

Try to see now what route to take. Local spring shop will cost around $200 to replace the single leaf. Pricing around today something with a 3" lift that will replace the stock leafs and will not break the bank.

9. Oct 29, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    newfieblue

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Getting the leaf fixed today because no suppliers in town or in east coast canada have the parts I need to be able to get to the rock within a 2 week window. Fixing the leaf will cost around $150.00.

Still looking at replacing the existing leafs as they have to be weaken now. Question I have though is when replacing the back shocks and leafs with a 3" leaf pack/shock (arbcanada) will I need to do anything to the first shocks?

10. Oct 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    IMHO....poor quality is the reason, probably 2nd leaf broke about half inch behind the axle, both of mine broke in the same place. Toyota springs are shit. Why am I hearing so much about Chev spring leafs?

..I am adding another leaf to both sides tomorrow

11. Nov 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    taylorf16

taylorf16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    02 Double Cab 5-speed SAS
    Solid Axle 5-speed Chevy 63s 3 in lift front leafs Grey wire mod
    I just picked up some sky jacker 2'' lifts springs from andys auto sport.. Shipped a set for $303 to Utah. I'll let you know how they turn out. I would take the stock ones off and replace them with some after market ones. Too much axle wrap, and garbage flex. Do your taco a favor and spend up to $400 on a good set of aftermarket springs. You may also need shocks, and some spacers up front to level everything out.

12. Nov 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

If you just added an AAL , for 2nd gens you can get away with keeping the stock rear shocks, anything over 1.5" , you'll want slightly longer shocks, on 1st gens. ANY amount of lift you'll need ext. shocks

Because the Chevy/Ford springs are superior steel wise than the steel Toyota uses...

13. Nov 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    Skunkman

Skunkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    I just called Andys after seeing your post, Thank you. He quoted me a price of 276.12 including shipping to Upstate NY, smoking deal for 2 rear leafs delivered. These are supposed to have 1.5 to 2.0 inches of lift, has anybody ever run them, they are the Skyjacker Softrides ? I have a Toytec AAL on right now, and am wondering if these will give me about the same amount of lift ? Thanks, didn't mean to hijack, I apoligize,just driving around on a broke leaf like everyone else it seems.

14. Nov 6, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    taylorf16

taylorf16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    02 Double Cab 5-speed SAS
    Solid Axle 5-speed Chevy 63s 3 in lift front leafs Grey wire mod
    I installed mine yesterday, unfortunately I couldn't measure prior to install because my other leafs were shattered. it does lift the rear about 2 inches unloaded, I imagine a little bit of cargo will pull it down. I also had to go with a bigger shock. I had some laying around the shop from a previous project that were about 5 inches longer. I should be able to drive it today so I'll update on the ride quality. You also have the option to throw on your add a leaf, to increase height if you aren't happy.

15. Nov 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Skunkman

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    Thanks for the info on them. I just ordered a pair,with delivery to the East Coast was 285.00 total, can't beat that. I am going to run them with the Toytec AAL for now, and a set of extra length Bilsteins I have. Hopefully the brake lines can remain stock length. Thanks again for the heads up about Andy's, they were a pleasure to deal with so far.

16. Nov 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    wannaflyguy

wannaflyguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Portland, Maine(for now)
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport.
    Blacked out badges, wheels, tool box, grill, and BHLM. 2in lift with stock tires. So many projects left to do....
    I just called Andy's(auto sports) and they quoted $202 per leaf($404 per pair)? Any suggestions?

17. Nov 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Skunkman

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    Maybe let them know a week ago we were getting them for half that, and to hook a brother up because we bought so many from them ? LOL I checked and see that they did change the price finally to 202.00 a side. Mine came today, and were shipped from a Company out of Texas called Transamerican Wholesale.at 972-538-8600 Don't know if they would sell to you or not ? They sure look pretty beefy, and with a bunch more arch compared to that junk 3 leaf set thats on there now. I'm trying to decide whether to run my Toytec AAL with them or not, have 5100's on the front at 2.5 and am going to install a set of 885 X when I do the rear. My truck has a ARE contractor cap, and about 500 pounds of equipment on it to contend with all the time.

18. Nov 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    wannaflyguy

wannaflyguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Portland, Maine(for now)
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport.
    Blacked out badges, wheels, tool box, grill, and BHLM. 2in lift with stock tires. So many projects left to do....
    Damn! Two weeks after you guys buy yours and they DOUBLED the price, WTF? Just my luck..... Any one know of any really good deals on other Leaf Springs?

19. Dec 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    BearBait

BearBait New Member

Member:
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD
    Same issue, busted spring passenger side. 2005 TRD V6. Shop wants $800 to replace it. Obviously not doing it. Been following a few related posts and can't decide on stock from General Spring or a 3" leafs from Allpro. Oh yeah or maybe the HD set from Wheeler's. Can somebody clarify for me; if I lift the rear 3" what do I NEED to do to the front?

Of the three options what's the best if I am looking to repair what's broke, not real concerned about lift or looks(but it would be nice...), and have virtually no cash. Commute on road but LOTS of time on dirt roads, and tracks that used to be roads.

20. Dec 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Are the leaf springs for 2005-2013 Taco's really that shit? What leaf packs from a Chevy would work on our trucks? I've got the 4 leaf version which came on my TRD Sport, does Chevy do 4 leaf?

Products Discussed in

To Top