Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Shocks for best ride

Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
meemomiller is on a distinguished road
Name: Travis
meemomiller's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks for best ride

I have been trying to find out what i need to do, i have a 2012 tacoma double cab and i am wanting to put an aggressive tire on, but all good aggressive tread tires are 6 ply and cause a rougher ride. What can i do to improve ride with a 6 ply tire? Looking at changing shocks.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg racing L/T kit ha no you can just get 5100s if you dont plan on doing serious offroading. Search and youll find a bunch of crap on them haha
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemomiller View Post
I have been trying to find out what i need to do, i have a 2012 tacoma double cab and i am wanting to put an aggressive tire on, but all good aggressive tread tires are 6 ply and cause a rougher ride. What can i do to improve ride with a 6 ply tire? Looking at changing shocks.
Why do you assume 'all good aggressive tread tires' cause a rougher ride?
Are you doing it for looks for performance?
What tires are you considering?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
mtwil9 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mtwil9's Tacoma Gallery
I had toyo mt's on my last vehicle and they rode very well and lasted even better. By far the best m/t I have ever experienced. Also had 5100s. Now I have 5100's with eibachs on my 2012 dcsb and the ride is incredible better than stock.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
The reason i assume that the more aggrassive tread tire's cause rougher ride is because i ran 265/70/17's on my 08 sierra 4x4 short bed. The ride was harsh and alot more of the smaller bumps that i didn't feel with 4 ply tires, i felt with the 6 ply. My toyota is 5 inch's longer than my sierra and the wheel base is 8 inch's longer than the sierra. I hadn't picked a tire to run other than the General grabber at2's which come in 4 ply, but i would like to run a cooper discover at or st or mickey thompson tires. I mostly run highway but i have a mowing business and i have to go to some rough places, that most won't go. I need a good aggressive tire when i go hunting or fishing as well, but would also like to have a decent ride on the road since my job is about 50 miles round trip daily.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
On my sierra i ran bf goodrich ta ko's 6 ply
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I hit the NFS trails and unimproved roads every weekend. My Michelin LTX AT2's are P-Metric, not LT.
They ride very nicely, almost no noise, and have resisited punctures and sidewall failures for the last 50k miles (hope I didn't jinx myself).
I have owned Michelin tires on my last 3 trucks/SUV's and they just own the market.
Lots of people on this and other Toyota forums buy tires for looks.
That's not why I buy tires.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery

Are we talking tires or shocks here? Am curious too about shocks. It seems the cushiest ride would be stock, then OME, then Eiback/Billies combo, then Billies by themselves. I could be wrong on this though, as I have 0 experience with anything but non-TRD PreRunner suspension.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
OP. i’m running the nitto terra in LT 265/75R16 in load rang E. and i think the ride is great. and a lot better over the stock rugged fails. sorry i mean trails. they wear a P rated tire. IMO get a good tire in a 265/70 or 75 and see how you like it. all trucks/suv’s will ride different with the same tire.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemomiller View Post
Sure the tires may be harsh but I just noticed you have an SR5 like me. Let me tell you from experience, the stock Tokico shocks that come on the SR5 are some kind of sick joke. Seriously they are like cruel and unusual punishment. I think the CIA switched over from waterboards to Tokico shock absorbers!

Do you and your neck a good deed and get some Bilsteins. I did and consider that the best mod I ever did to my Taco. I'm only kicking myself because I went through 3 years of torture before it donned on me what the problem was.