LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I keep getting stuck in the snow

Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
I keep getting stuck in the snow

I live in Wisconsin and it snows here. The snow will sometimes drift 2-3 feet over my driveway (which is on a pretty good slope). If I just try and giv'er, sometimes the truck will just ride up on top of the snow and all 4 wheels will just be kissing the ground, so I have no traction. Then I have to go and get the tractor and blah blah blah. How can I get my suspension to droop more? I have the Toytec Coilover 3" with rear AAL. I've only raised the front about 1 1/2" until I can get new UCA's. Did this susp. upgrade give me more flex or not. Please help, it's cold outside and the tractor does not have a heater. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap and easy mod

I suggest this...........
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
So what you're telling us....You're trying to drive through 2-3 foot deep snow?

Even if you had more droop in your suspension - doesn't mean you'll have traction. You need WEIGHT on any given wheel to give you traction. If you're truck is plowing ontop of the snow and you are basically high centered on that snow..... the suspension is just dangling there. Not only that...but you're trying to pull a 4000lb+ vehicle PLUS you're trying to move another 1000lbs of snow along with it....

Not to sound like a smart ass (sorry, I apologize), but why don't you get the tractor out and plow the snow off the driveway first?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
There's a poster here, tommigunn as well as some others who wheel pretty good in deep snow, maybe finding that thread will help give ideas.

As far as punching it up hill to make it through a 3 ft drift, hmmmm, no ideas other than an orange snow fence to prevent the drifting.

I just about ripped my catalytic converter off my old 4WD toyota truck once punching through a 3ft snowbank at the end of a long driveway. Luckily it hung on by the last thread at the flange! That ended my punching through bank days.

edit: Janster's idea is pretty good too.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
cntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcntstan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
So what you're telling us....You're trying to drive through 2-3 foot deep snow?

Even if you had more droop in your suspension - doesn't mean you'll have traction. You need WEIGHT on any given wheel to give you traction. If you're truck is plowing ontop of the snow and you are basically high centered on that snow..... the suspension is just dangling there. Not only that...but you're trying to pull a 4000lb+ vehicle PLUS you're trying to move another 1000lbs of snow along with it....

Not to sound like a smart ass (sorry, I apologize), but why don't you get the tractor out and plow the snow off the driveway first?
What you said makes sense, if the susp. is just dangling there, even if the tires were touching I would only have the weight of the tires/wheels/etc. trying to push the truck. It's just that sometimes if I am gone all day and it's very windy, the snow can drift a lot during 8 hrs. My driveway is about a thousand feet long and uphill to the house. I plow it if needed before I leave but sometimes that doesn't matter. I guess I just need much more weight. I saw a doughnut thread somewhere, maybe I'll try that.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
mkeeagle is on a distinguished road
Navy: IC3
mkeeagle's Tacoma Gallery
I also live in WI and I have 7 bags of the the sand in a tube and they have worked great for me. Boss thought I had a 4x4 which I don't but now that when it snows I am the first one he calls. Great for my paycheck but not good when everyone else is stuck in my alley. Grant you I don't try to go thru 3 feet of snow drifts.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #7

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
There's a poster here, tommigunn as well as some others who wheel pretty good in deep snow, maybe finding that thread will help give ideas.

As far as punching it up hill to make it through a 3 ft drift, hmmmm, no ideas other than an orange snow fence to prevent the drifting.

I just about ripped my catalytic converter off my old 4WD toyota truck once punching through a 3ft snowbank at the end of a long driveway. Luckily it hung on by the last thread at the flange! That ended my punching through bank days.

edit: Janster's idea is pretty good too.
You sound like you've been there done that. I tried the drift fence but the deer just run right through it.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntstan View Post
I guess I just need much more weight. I saw a doughnut thread somewhere, maybe I'll try that.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Chains?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #10

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeagle View Post
I also live in WI and I have 7 bags of the the sand in a tube and they have worked great for me. Boss thought I had a 4x4 which I don't but now that when it snows I am the first one he calls. Great for my paycheck but not good when everyone else is stuck in my alley. Grant you I don't try to go thru 3 feet of snow drifts.
I'll try the sand, sounds like a good idea. By the way, I'm new here (WI), so I'm learning as I go.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
Chains are illegal in the state of WI.

Where in WI are ya???? I love the Carolinas. Told the wife that is where we are moving when I retire.....6 more years baby....I hope
Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Samsonite...I was way off!
jmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud of

jmasterj's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, no chains in Wisconsin. I run 5 bags of sand in the winter and don't have any problems. If you are running the stock tires i.e. Rugged Fails you may want to look at something else, because they aren't very good tires for Winter driving.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Where in WI are ya???? I love the Carolinas. Told the wife that is where we are moving when I retire.....6 more years baby....I hope
Not to drive with just for really bad days when he can't get out of the driveway.....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #14

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

In Fond du Lac, about an hour north of Milwaukee. I moved here from Charlotte, NC. I miss the weather but not the crowds, Charlotte seems like it's shoulder to shoulder wherever you go now. If I had to move back I would try to head to the mountains or the beach. Here's hoping for a quick six years for you!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think these truck are made to go through big snow drifts/plies. Just ask LonghornTaco
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #17

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshest View Post
I don't think these truck are made to go through big snow drifts/plies. Just ask LonghornTaco
I think you're right, it just bugs me when I see my wife get through it in her Land Rover and she's looking at me with that "what's so special about your truck again?" look. Her car has to weigh as much as a tank though.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
I am in North West michigan, I have no problems at all.. I hate the stock tires on my taco, but they are not doing bad..
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntstan View Post
What you said makes sense, if the susp. is just dangling there, even if the tires were touching I would only have the weight of the tires/wheels/etc. trying to push the truck. It's just that sometimes if I am gone all day and it's very windy, the snow can drift a lot during 8 hrs. My driveway is about a thousand feet long and uphill to the house. I plow it if needed before I leave but sometimes that doesn't matter. I guess I just need much more weight. I saw a doughnut thread somewhere, maybe I'll try that.
I had a Dodge Ram for 3 years and I tried going through a 2' deep mound of crap at the end of my driveway (you know, the stuff the plow leaves you after you plow the driveway and clean everything up). I thought...."hmm, this truck is big enough to plow through there" I was actually backing out of my driveway. The rear-end got up & over it, but the front end SANK down in it as soon as it hit the top! Stuck....
I rocked it back-n-forth and finally got out of it.
Never under-estimate even the smallest amount of snow.
I had ice/snow packed in my wheels and didn't realize it until I got on the highway and the steering wheel shaked so violently.

Just be careful plowing through stuff like that... as someone already mentioned, it'll rip up your underside if you're not careful.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #20

cntstan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I had a Dodge Ram for 3 years and I tried going through a 2' deep mound of crap at the end of my driveway (you know, the stuff the plow leaves you after you plow the driveway and clean everything up). I thought...."hmm, this truck is big enough to plow through there" I was actually backing out of my driveway. The rear-end got up & over it, but the front end SANK down in it as soon as it hit the top! Stuck....
I rocked it back-n-forth and finally got out of it.
Never under-estimate even the smallest amount of snow.
I had ice/snow packed in my wheels and didn't realize it until I got on the highway and the steering wheel shaked so violently.

Just be careful plowing through stuff like that... as someone already mentioned, it'll rip up your underside if you're not careful.
Yeah you're right, the last thing I want is having to pull it out only to find I've made a high dollar mistake. I'm running bfg AT's and they seem to do well with traction, they still don't clear out well after going through that sticky snow so I have to be careful not to gun it as soon as I'm on dry pavement or I'll end up in the ditch.