Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

wheelers' progressive aal insight needed

Old 10-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
wheelers' progressive aal insight needed

ok, i just noticed the wheelers 3 leaf add a leaf and was wondering if anyone rocks it. seems like a viable way for me to do an economical slight lift without using blocks!

just wondering, is it much stiffer than stock? i run the non-tsb pack and actually dont mind how it performs off-road. my rear end flexes very well, with tons of droop (my leafs sit with little to no arch on flat ground) and is not afraid to compress all the way to full bump. i like articulation.

what do they look like installed? is it really just three more leafs to add below what i have? what about factory overload vs. not? what do you guys think?

lastly, 5100's would have to be ordered to address the front, likely on the factory coils. do i order factory length rears or do they have to be longer for the aal? what is supposed to stop a leaf-sprung axle at full droop anyways?

thanks guys i appreciate any help or insight to other options. a full set of deavers or alcans would probably be more than i need as i dont do anything too extreme. thanks again
Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
REDRIDER98999 is on a distinguished road

REDRIDER98999's Tacoma Gallery
I have the progressive 3 leaf pack and I think it rides great. Here is a link when I installed mine

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...fter-pics.html
Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

awesome, thank you! so did you move the overload to the bottom or leave it in place?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
drinking whats on sale

and were the wheel spacers necessary for some reason?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
awesome, thank you! so did you move the overload to the bottom or leave it in place?
Running Wheeler's 3-leaf on a non-TSB with the overload still installed. Rides great man.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a picture of the installed setup but the overload sits on the axel perch, then the wheeler 3 leaf, then your factory leafs. With Old Man Emu 885 coils on the front bilstein 5100 at 0 setting my rear is .75 inches higher than the front.

I don't have wheel spacers.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
drinking whats on sale

awesomeeeeeeeeeee! thanks guys! gunna need to pull the trigger soon!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
^ no prob. Since you are access cab you will probably sit a bit more rear high than me because i have some extra cab weight, I doubt much though.

As far as the rear shocks, I am running the oem replacement tacoma length 5100 22.9" extended 14" compressed but with a extension adapter on the top (from toytec (the 1.5 thread)) to give me extra downtravel. This also required me to run a longer bumpstop so my shock doesn't eat itself when compressed since the shock would bottom out an inch before hitting my bumpstop ( I made measurements to make sure I didn't destroy the shock the first big flex I made). These are what I'm bolting in place as a cheap bumpstop fix for now http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=KU09037BK

Hope this is good info for you guys.

~M
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
drinking whats on sale

right on right on, no need for extended brake lines or driveshaft mods, right?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Pic of mine! I love the wheelers progressive AAL.. I'm running them with fox 2.0 RR's and 5100's set to 2.5 in the front. Great set up!

I kept the overload in, and still have some rake but that's what I wanted anyways. Clears 285's no problem, my tires are actually close to 34" tall....

I went with a beefed taco 3" lift CB drop, and honestly the truck rides better than the day I bought it. The fox shocks are great with the stiffer springs, the 5100s are stiffer but more controlled, not harsh. No drive line vibes with the cb drop, just an all around solid set up.
Attached Thumbnails
wheelers' progressive aal insight needed-photo-oct-24-12-52-38-pm.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
I have no cb drop or extended brake lines.

@650H1, do you have a link to where you got your 2.0 rear resi's?

~M

I dont have extended brake lines either, but the CB drop was a significant improvement. if youre thinking about getting one, do it.

bought the fox shocks used, and put them in myself. they have maybe 5k miles on them so far, so were basically new. they are piggybacks, not resi's, but either way still a great match up with the added stiffness of the progressive leafs and keeping the OL leaf. i was thinking rear 5100s, but figured they were valved the same as stock, just extended, and wanted something that would really absorb the leafs, and they work great.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
I have no cb drop or extended brake lines.
Same here, OP
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
ok, i just noticed the wheelers 3 leaf add a leaf and was wondering if anyone rocks it. seems like a viable way for me to do an economical slight lift without using blocks!

just wondering, is it much stiffer than stock? i run the non-tsb pack and actually dont mind how it performs off-road. my rear end flexes very well, with tons of droop (my leafs sit with little to no arch on flat ground) and is not afraid to compress all the way to full bump. i like articulation.

what do they look like installed? is it really just three more leafs to add below what i have? what about factory overload vs. not? what do you guys think?

lastly, 5100's would have to be ordered to address the front, likely on the factory coils. do i order factory length rears or do they have to be longer for the aal? what is supposed to stop a leaf-sprung axle at full droop anyways?

thanks guys i appreciate any help or insight to other options. a full set of deavers or alcans would probably be more than i need as i don't do anything too extreme. thanks again

The 3 leaf set will provide about 1.5" of lift over where the rear of your truck sits now. It will turn your stock pack into a more progressive style pack, and will ride and function better over rough roads.

You can retain the overload for about 2.25" of lift.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBb View Post
Running Wheeler's 3-leaf on a non-TSB with the overload still installed. Rides great man.
What was the reason you left your overload in? When I put my icon aal in I ditched the overload...as instructions said to do
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #17

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
What was the reason you left your overload in? When I put my icon aal in I ditched the overload...as instructions said to do
.6" of lift....
Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
.6" of lift....
Got it
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
drinking whats on sale

hey everybody, i appreciate your insight more than you can imagine, and dan, i look forward to buying from you guys. thank you very much
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Azdesert50 will become famous soon enoughAzdesert50 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
Azdesert50's Tacoma Gallery
Does removing the overload reduce the amount of weight you can carry in the bed?