Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Down travel.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Apbt1976 is on a distinguished road
Apbt1976's Tacoma Gallery
Down travel.

First i gotta admit i drive a Frontier. I spend quite a bit of time on here though getting ides and learning.

My question is regarding down travel. I also posted on a Nissan forum but it seems many more people mod Tacoma's than Frontiers and i figured i would get a larger response by cross posting.

I was reading a thread on CF and someone mentioned that if your front suspension had unlimited down travel and you had a 4x4 it would shred the gears in your front differential. I have also noticed on serious off road rigs nylon seat belt material limiting straps combined with gas filled bump stops. Is the whole Front differential and unlimited down travel thing true.? And if so what from the factory that limits down travel on a stock suspension? Would the stock upper control arm on the stock suspension get coil bucket contact at some point also limiting down travel?

I ask all these questions as i put a 3" spacer lift on my truck with SPC or light racing adjustable UCA's. In order to get my truck aligned with no coil bucket contact i had to grind a fair amount of my coil bucket away. I can now cycle my suspension to full droop with ZERO coil bucket contact.

Thoughts, insight?

And Thanks for the any help!!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
whew. lot going on here, okay:

yes. first of all. if trucks didn't stop the components from dropping down too low, the whole suspension would stuffer dramatically, the 4WD components being the worst of it. No only are you looking at gear wear but the CV boots would shred like paper and the joints would as well.
I think the coilovers in combo with the alignment bolt on the LCU stop down travel on stock suspensions and as far as the nylon straps? long travel kits. because they're jumping their trucks the forces on the suspension are immense and the straps safely stop the suspension from dropping too low