1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Racing (SPC) UCA Announcement

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Neubs, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    Neubs

Neubs [OP] Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    Hi Everyone,

This has been posted under the ToyTec forum but I thought it should be posted here as well. I know there has been a lot of conservation regarding the quality of Light Racing UCAs and hopefully this will address some of the concerns mentioned. Please see below for details.

Message from Light Racing on Upper Control Arms

Hi All,

Specialty Product Company (SPC) and Light Racing felt that it would be appropriate to chime in regarding our control arms and some of your discussion.

Objective: The objective for the Light Racing / SPC front upper control arms for the 4Runner, FJ, and Tacoma was to provide you with an option that delivered:
    • Significant Camber and Caster change that would correct ride quality and tire wear issues for a wide range of lifts and uses
    • More articulation than the OE ball joint
    • More clearance for the spring and tire than the OE arm
    • OE quality ride with rubber bushings and OE style ball-joint assembly that would never require service
    • Higher strength than the OE arm for extreme off-road use
    • All the above for a very reasonable price

Issues: As you have been discussing, we have had a couple of hiccups that did not get caught during our quality reviews and product testing.
    1. Our 1st batch of ball joints did not perform as designed. Though the ball joints assembled fine and appeared fine from the outside, under full articulation they were binding internally.
    2. Our 1st batch of bushings did not permit enough compliance for the articulation that these arms can see in the field. Therefore, there is a possibility that these bushings could fail prematurely.

Fixes: There are two types of fixes that we need to address;
    1. First, and most importantly, we want to stand behind the product that is on the street. If you believe that you have arms that have bushing or ball joint problems, we want to hear from you. Please call us at 800-525-6505 to determine next steps.
    2. Second, product shipping now has been corrected.
    • The root cause has been determined and corrective actions taken make sure that the ball joint perform as designed. Additionally, quality control is testing ball joint articulation on every batch.
    • We have completely redesigned our bushings to improve the compliance issues that our 1st batch experienced. We have both decreased the durometer of the rubber and increased the compliance in the bushing design itself. (see photos)

We at SPC and Light Racing are disappointed ‘not to design intent’ product that we unfortunately allowed to get into the field. Please be assured that these issues have been resolved and that we will always stand behind our product.

As for which arms to buy, obviously we hope that you will strongly consider our arms, they do achieve our original objectives. Yes, Total Chaos and Icon are both quality companies and our friends. Each of our companies offers different features and benefits for you to choose from at different price points. Your patronage for any of the three of us is appreciated.

tacomaarm_closeups_f87e0f8b53b293208ecf654d70d6d971f550736a.jpg

2. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Thanks for posting neubs good info and glad to hear they are standing by thier product.

3. Jan 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Good for them! :thumbsup:

4. Jan 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Its about time.

5. Jan 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    thats SWEET,i just got mine(didnt install yet) and they look like your pics.sure glad to here that.awsome

6. Jan 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Good info...

7. Jan 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    valleythunder

valleythunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dahlgren, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC/LB
    Thanks for the info. Having mine installed Monday. :D:D I'll check it out. :cool::cool: Rob......

8. Jan 29, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    cool,they r a great uca for the money.dont forget to post pics.

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    You should try installing them yourself. It is pretty easy and very rewarding:D

10. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    i am thinking about buying a set actually how much of a difference will i feel with my 2.5 switch to these LR compared to my stock UCA

11. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I will be honest. I dont notice any difference except that my alignment is perfect.

12. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    really..... i have a lifetime alignment so i figure with every service i would go take it and get it aligned .....so i dont know worth it it is for me to buy these than

13. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well, if you get to fiddling with your suspension and your alignment gets out of whack...you'll appreciate them. I have a 3" lift and mine was way off. Now it is perfect. They give you a little more articulation too when off roading. Not like what you get with the uni-ball but still pretty good for the price.

14. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    well i have the 2.5 and where i got it aligned they said that its aligned pretty damn close to spec even with the lift so i figure for now since i dont offroad alot....my setup is fine

15. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    What is the web site to check these out

16. Jan 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    Does your tire sit way back in the wheel well now. When I had my TC UCAs it pushed the tire way back and I had sever rubbing on the rear of fender, not to mention it looked weird from the side because the tire was not centered in the wheel well. Just curious because I may get these in the next couple months if they don't shove the wheel way far back. I know you need to increase caster by doing this, but I would rather just decrease the camber and call it a day.

17. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I havent had any rubbing issues. It all seems to be ok.

18. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    Can you take a pic from the side with your wheels straight. I really wanna see how it looks.

19. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    installing mine tomorrow...:D

20. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    badguybuster