Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Do i need new U-Bolts?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
WheelinJ91 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
WheelinJ91's Tacoma Gallery
Do i need new U-Bolts?

So I will be installing my OME lift from Toytec with 1.5 AAL in the rear and was wondering if when i install the AAL will i need new ubolts or will the stock ones work?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinJ91 View Post
So I will be installing my OME lift from Toytec with 1.5 AAL in the rear and was wondering if when i install the AAL will i need new ubolts or will the stock ones work?
Stock ones will work just fine. I used stock for my 2" AAL's.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Alright awesome, i just noticed that some Toytec kits came with new u-bolts so i wanted to make sure before i started.

Do you happen to know were i can find the torque specs for my suspension (Ubolts, Shocks bolts, ect) ?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Alright awesome, i just noticed that some Toytec kits came with new u-bolts so i wanted to make sure before i started.

Do you happen to know were i can find the torque specs for my suspension (Ubolts, Shocks bolts, ect) ?
Yeah I was worried the stock ones were to short but they arent and even the shop I got them installed at said they were good to go. I'm not to sure on the torque specs though?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You should always use new u-bolts.

The original ones will probably work - however (hard to explain) - the threads/bolts tend to stretch when you tighten them. Taking them off...and putting them back on, they will not 'HOLD' as well or as tightly as new ones due to that 'stretch'.
See thread below

http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com...ons_df_53.html
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You should always use new u-bolts.

The original ones will probably work - however (hard to explain) - the threads/bolts tend to stretch when you tighten them. Taking them off...and putting them back on, they will not 'HOLD' as well or as tightly as new ones due to that 'stretch'.
See thread below

http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com...ons_df_53.html
Jan has a good point. I've had my stock U-bolts on now since November of 2008 and I just check them every so often and so far they havent moved.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I've had my stock U-bolts on now since November of 2008 and I just check them every so often and so far they havent moved.
What torque spec are you torquing them to? I keep tighting mine. Seems to me they are stretching. I'm going to 73#.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
What torque spec are you torquing them to? I keep tighting mine. Seems to me they are stretching. I'm going to 73#.
Not sure what the torque specs were cause a shop did it.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
What size U-bolt will i need as i have decided to get new ones, I have the 1.5 AAL with the 4 leaf pack?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
What size U-bolt will i need as i have decided to get new ones, I have the 1.5 AAL with the 4 leaf pack?
To be honest with you I dont think you will need new U-bolts.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
To be honest with you I dont think you will need new U-bolts.
Here's one way to be sure. Measure the thickness of the AAL (or find out how thick they are). Measure the amount of U-bolt sticking out past the nuts. If the thickness of the AAL is at least a 1/4 inch less then no need to replace the U-bolts.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post

For $20 worth of bolts
this. its 20 dollars people. why spend all the money on the lift and cheap out on the least expensive object you could add