Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 question

Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
5100 question

Do you have to use the black plastic protector sleeves that cover the shock shafts, or can you omit these during install? I've seen some with, some without, some people say you do, some don't. I would rather not use them, but they have a little metal washer in the top and didn't know if this piece was crucial for a proper install.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to use the boots but it is recommended you do. They will keep dirt from settling on the oil seal. If you don't want to use them then just install the washer piece.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle1 View Post
Do you have to use the black plastic protector sleeves that cover the shock shafts, or can you omit these during install? I've seen some with, some without, some people say you do, some don't. I would rather not use them, but they have a little metal washer in the top and didn't know if this piece was crucial for a proper install.
Leave them on, they protect the shock shafts from debris.

I agree with you that they look cooler without but functionality has always taken a first row seat over looks in my book.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
+3 on using the boots. You're not gonna be any more popular and no one will really care or look under there to see if the boots aren't there. No one is gonna say wow, cool, you have bare shock shafts & chicks could care less. They just make the shocks last longer.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks for the help guys. Now if I could only find that missing boot... Looks like I'll be in contact with Bilstein for a replacement.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle1 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Now if I could only find that missing boot... Looks like I'll be in contact with Bilstein for a replacement.
That is the only toss up reason to go without them. Didn't think about that being an issue but still think it'll be worth the wait to get one. Or at least score a pr of some other kind from some local parts place that would work. Wonder if the blue ones off oem TRD bilsteins would work or if body is bigger around to not work?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Thanks T@co. I'll prolly just order me another boot from Bilstein. I have no idea what happened to the other one. Brand new in the box, we move, and now one boot short. weird...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Just called Bistein and they are sending one free of charge.