1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird wobbliness when coming to complete stop??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by azonicbruce, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Nov 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    azonicbruce

azonicbruce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab
    Weird question for any of you Icon (or any aftermarket suspension for that matter) owners out there. Do you notice that when you come to a complete stop, the truck seems to wobble quite more noticeably than when it was stock? I can't quite put my finger on it. The suspension itself, works awesome and is great when the truck is moving, so I don't think anything is wrong/defective, but in traffic, when it's a lot of stop and go, it seems to be noticeably different. I'm not sure if it's because the icon suspension is a bit stiffer, and therefore the wobbliness I'm experiencing is coming from the tires, or what, but it is definitely noticeable. I have to work really hard to change my braking technique to eliminate it (basically almost never really stopping; more like rolling stop, easing up on the brake the closer to fully stopped I get).

My assumption is that this is "normal", simply due to the fact that I'm running larger tires and different suspension, but just wanted to check here to see if anyone else notices this, and if perhaps maybe there is a way to remedy this.

2. Nov 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    I'd say check your aliment numbers, and if their good it's the ruts in the pavement that are pulling your tires, which give you the feeling of "wobblyness" with the bigger tires, cause I've got 3in lift and run 285's and I can dive on the brakes with no problem that I notice [given the bigger tires] and I'm just over 1k on miles

3. Nov 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    I've got danohoes (icons) and run 285's and don't experience and wobble that you've mentioned...

4. Nov 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    The ruts in the road pull my truck and on fresh pavement it tracks straight as an arrow. When braking on rutted pavement the truck pulls to one side or the other and the steering wheel moves sharply...on fresh pavement it brakes straight. When driving close to the centerline the ruts pull the truck to the left. Driving towards the shoulder of the road pulls the truck to the right. This only happens on certain stetches of certain roads. The e rated tires have helped alot over the p rated ones that came with the truck. Lifted only 2" and alignment is good.

5. Nov 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    elaborate op, where exactally do you feel this wobble? in your steering or is it a vibration from elsewhere?

6. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Sounds brakes related. Warped rotor maybe?

7. Nov 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    i2andom81

i2andom81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    08 black prerunner
    Fox coilovers and resi rears, 20% tint, wet okole trd seat covers, LCE engineering headers, custom magnaflow exhaust, afe cai, satoshi grill, URD supercharger, retrofitted headlights, weather tech mats, standard duty leafs, allpro front bumper and uca
    x2

Sounds exactly what I was thinking. Check to see if you need your rotors turned.

8. Nov 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    azonicbruce

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab
    Guess I should have been more specific. None of what I described is what happens WHILE coming to a stop, but at the exact moment the vehicle stops. Any and all vehicles experience this; you come to a stop, like at a stop sign or light, and the vehicle pitches forward just a bit, then back, the maybe forward just a teeny bit again. Just physics and the suspension at work. What I'm describing is the same thing, only I noticed that instead of it pitching forward, then back, then maybe forward one more time, it does it for about 3 or 4 more times before settling completely and the vehicle is completely still.

Sorry if my description of all this is very confusing, I'm not very good with words as you can tell:D

9. Nov 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

Member:
    central illinois
    Vehicle:
    08' Indigo TRD Sport 4x4
    access tonno
    You might have a bad tire, I had a wobble comming to a stop.

10. Nov 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    azonicbruce

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab
    I figured it would be from the fact that the suspension is stiff, and therefore it's just the tires flexing, but didn't think this would be an indication of a bad tire. Did you get your tire replaced, and did it make the problem go away?

11. Nov 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Sounds like the leaf springs... search axle wrap

12. Nov 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    so its not really a wobble, its too much rocking back and forth when you come to a stop? hrm, well you could just stop more gradually with less momentum in the mean time, but 3 or 4 rocks sounds excessive. something may be too stiff or not stiff enough mabye? sounds like some part of your suspension is definately off, but I cant guess what part.

13. Nov 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Agreed. Torque the U-bolts to 73 lbs. That should fix it.

14. Nov 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    azonicbruce

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Owasso, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Double-Cab

Products Discussed in

To Top