Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Carrier bearing issues

Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Other Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Other Scott's Tacoma Gallery
Carrier bearing issues

Was wondering how much play in the carrier bearing is acceptable? Is there a spec for this? I can move mine up and down about .250 inches, the dealer wants $260 for there bearing (bend over!)
Has anyone had this replaced with and gotten rid of there driveshaft vibrations?
Or would it be cheaper to have a one piece driveshaft made?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Seach: Center support bearing replacement.
One option is to replace it with a pillow block.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever replace the carrier bearing? Where and how much did you pay for it?

I think mine is shot because over about 1 week, it's been making a chirping noise that has gotten progressively worse. The Mechanic I took it to says he believes it's that.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Other Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nope, dealer told me it was not the problem. After paying for two hours of labor they still don't know where the vibration is coming from, not so much a vibration as a grouwing noise coming from the front diff. I think I'll do the drivers side needle Bearing replacement in the spring.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
KY07TACO is on a distinguished road
KY07TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered a carrier bearing from Advanced Auto parts for $68. Will take two to three days for delivery. I also bought new u-joints because the one right behind the carrier bearing is shot and while I have the drive shaft out I am going to replace them all.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
KY07TACO is on a distinguished road
KY07TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Well I took the drive shaft out of my truck only to find that the yoke on the front shaft is broke. A chunk fell out of it when I rolled it out from under the truck. I called Toyota and they will do nothing about it because my warranty just expired. They don't sell the yoke separate either. I had to go straight to Spicer and order a yoke. $50 what a deal compared to $850 for the drive shaft.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
I never did replace mine. I did swap out the front spring for 885's and lowers the bilstiens to .o , AAL went in the rear. I got new tires and wheels, Toyo open country at 2's. the humming of the tires kinda drowns out the growling noise, but I'm sure it is still there. Planning on doing the east coast gear supply bushing next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier bearing issues-image.jpg