Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

is there a 6 inch lift you dont have to cut the body mounts for?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Kenpo is on a distinguished road
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
is there a 6 inch lift you dont have to cut the body mounts for?

i been looking around, everyone seems to tell me to stay away from tuff country and fabtech, i live in hawaii everyone loves fabtechs, i havent heard much good about them on the internet, and i am trying to stay away from cutting or welding, dont go in the mud much, more on the sand my budget as far as a lift kit goes is about 3500 any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated on does and donts of what lift to buy, i dont plan on doing any serious wheeling with it, but i do want decent clearance, 2012 6 spd 4wd
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
with a drop bracket lift, there will be cutting, and you will have less clearance than with a 3 inch lift.

have heard good things about pro comp?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
yeah ive been looking up procomp but i think i remmeber seeing you have to cut the body cab mounts, and drop bracket is basicly just the spacer that goes from the frame to the lower a arm?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpo View Post
yeah ive been looking up procomp but i think i remmeber seeing you have to cut the body cab mounts, and drop bracket is basicly just the spacer that goes from the frame to the lower a arm?
im not sure on the body mounts, and yes i guess you can call it a spacer, it drops the differential down lower so you can still have 4wd.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
so pretty much procomp is what you would suggest? i was looking at the stage 2, i see people say they find stage 2 kits for 1500, and even as low as 1000 dollars but i just cant seem to find them, i mean i have a bigger budget but i wouldnt mind saving 500,or even 1000 dollars would go to some nice bumpers...or other goodies?, i also was looking into chaos, any thoughts on that?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
There is no cutting of body mounts for these kits. With a 4x4, u will have to cut a section out of the frame/cross member. And there are no stage 2 kits for $1500 to $1000 unless its used.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so pretty much procomp is what you would suggest? i was looking at the stage 2, i see people say they find stage 2 kits for 1500, and even as low as 1000 dollars but i just cant seem to find them, i mean i have a bigger budget but i wouldnt mind saving 500,or even 1000 dollars would go to some nice bumpers...or other goodies?, i also was looking into chaos, any thoughts on that?
you will not find a stage 2 kit for that price. pro comp stage one is 1500-1600 and stage 2 2500-2600 the last time i looked. you also dont need to cut the body mounts unless you are going to run a 35" tire. you will rub it then. the piece you do have to cut is a piece out of your rear crossmember for your front drive shaft to come through. the piece you need to cut is about 4-5 inches long
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
thats what i figured on the price, and for the bodymounts if i can scoot away on 33's and no cutting then i think thats the way to go...to bad my truck wont beable to fit in my garage after this , what suspension do you have on your truck white taco*?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
i was also looking, is it really worth the 1000 dollars extra for the stage two procomp shocks? or should i get the stage one and just get a different pair of shocks? or i guess what im asking is there better bang for the buck shocks out there rather than use procomps
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i was also looking, is it really worth the 1000 dollars extra for the stage two procomp shocks? or should i get the stage one and just get a different pair of shocks? or i guess what im asking is there better bang for the buck shocks out there rather than use procomps
A few guys on here have said that the Pro Comp coilovers are not worth it....better off with a Stage 1.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
I believe that the stage 1 kit will not give you the full 6" lift. But since you're thinking about 33" tires it will be fine. As for cutting the cab mounts? Depends if you plan on stuffing the tires while turning? Even the stock tires can rub the cab mounts.
(There's other factors involved)
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
the only reason im thinkn of 33s is to get away with the cutting actually...if i could id use 35's, but getting abit off topic...what lift would be the best bang for my buck as far as 6 inch lift being good for offroad, but not like riding a horse on the high way
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Dank Tank
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Stg 1 and add some Coilovers for a 6" lift (Icon, King, Fox)

New springs in the rear so no blocks.

If your cutting the cross member for a DB then cutting cab mounts for 35's is worth it
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
DB?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...what lift would be the best bang for my buck as far as 6 inch lift being good for offroad......
Didn't know there was such a thing? Heh heh....

I would say go for a quality 3in lift, same or more ground clearance as a 6in, no need to cut out a cross member. If you can't be swayed from a 6in, get the stage 1, then buy some good coil overs and new rear leafs so you don't have to run blocks. Anyways, my 2 cents.

I see so many DB lifts here in Hawaii but most of those trucks never even see dirt sadly, all show.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
DB?
Drop bracket or a product used for feminine hygiene heh heh, but here at TW, normally the former.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
your going to be cutting the crossmember regardless of 33s or 35s, db = drop bracket

get the stage 1 then buy kings
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #19
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
i dont care about cutting the other parts needed crossmember etc, i just dont like the idea of cutting a suppor for the body mounts, ive lifted an 89 toy before, wasnt that big of a deal, i was just going for the one you have to modify the frame the least.... if i have to do enough cutting and welding i wont mind going the extra mile and just putting a 44 under it...
Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #20
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
Didn't know there was such a thing? Heh heh....

I would say go for a quality 3in lift, same or more ground clearance as a 6in, no need to cut out a cross member. If you can't be swayed from a 6in, get the stage 1, then buy some good coil overs and new rear leafs so you don't have to run blocks. Anyways, my 2 cents.

I see so many DB lifts here in Hawaii but most of those trucks never even see dirt sadly, all show.

yeah im definatley getting springs, doing away with my stock springs in the back, im fed up with the wheel hop, and i figured that was gunna be the best bet was stage 1 with better shocks, i was also looking at total chaos lifts, seen anyone with that? hows that working for them? seen any 6 inch chaos lifts around? i can only find 3 inch