Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Some please tell me how to remove coils from coilovers

Old 11-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Some please tell me how to remove coils from coilovers

Trying to take off my old coils and putting some new eibachs on my 2.5 camburg coilovers (built by SAW). The coils are uncompressed but they are still on the shock. Is there a way to remove the lower or top mount so i can slide the coil off or what?? My trucks all taken apart in the drive way and i wanna get it done so i have something to drive

Edit: i meant to put 'someone' in the title not 'some'
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Is the assembly still on the truck, or is it off? If it's off, it's still compressed, and you need a spring compressor tool to remove the top hat - best to take to Pep Boys though to do it for you.

I used the jack method - but it's not recommended as most believe it is dangerous :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc
Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
You need to remove them from the vehicle, compress them with some spring compressors then remove the top nut carefully take off the top plate then slowly uncompress the spring. Install in reverse order. Be carefull and don't rush those springs can kill.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
You need to remove them from the vehicle, compress them with some spring compressors then remove the top nut carefully take off the top plate then slowly uncompress the spring. Install in reverse order. Be carefull and don't rush those springs can kill.
x2.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

I put on my OME 881s using that method on my 5100s, but i dont think these coilovers have a top nut, and im not home to check. So dont you have to remove the spring base plate to take off the spring? How does it come off? Heres the coilovers i have:

Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #6

Yeah they are off the truck and the coils are uncompressed, just dont know how to get em off.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar with those but it looks like you should compress the springs and the bottom spring seats should pull up and slip off. You will probably need about 3" or so of compression. Do the bottom seats have a cutout in them on one side? Like I said i'm not familiar with the brand but I do have suspension knowlege. Watch those fingers! Always treat springs as if they were a loaded gun.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
compress the spring so u can remove that cone at the bottom, it should slip off the shaft from a notch in the cone. the spring should be able to slide off after you get the cone off.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
I'm not familiar with those but it looks like you should compress the springs and the bottom spring seats should pull up and slip off. You will probably need about 3" or so of compression. Do the bottom seats have a cutout in them on one side? Like I said i'm not familiar with the brand but I do have suspension knowlege. Watch those fingers! Always treat springs as if they were a loaded gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
compress the spring so u can remove that cone at the bottom, it should slip off the shaft from a notch in the cone. the spring should be able to slide off after you get the cone off.
Ohhh i got it now.. i dont know how i didnt understand that in the first place haha! Well i got the old ones off and the new ones on so thanks guys!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
Did you need a spring compressor or were you able to just take off the preload on the collar?

Just wondering because I need to change the springs on my sway-a-ways
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
That lower cone most likely will move up and then out.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorola View Post
Did you need a spring compressor or were you able to just take off the preload on the collar?

Just wondering because I need to change the springs on my sway-a-ways
Yeah you need compressors, you can rent em for free at an autozone. Just gotta pay like $60 and when you bring them back you get your money back. Compress the spring so you can slide the cone upwards, then slide it off the shaft with that notch thats cut out in the cone.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Uh - there's a more basic question here than assembly. Help me understand:

You've got Camburg 2.5" coilovers, and you're planning on putting some Eibach springs you got from Toytec onto them?

Two questions:

1. Why?

2. Aren't the Eibach springs 2" springs?? 2" Diameter springs won't fit onto the 2.5" coilovers, right? The 2.5" coilovers hold a larger diameter shock for more damping.

So, what did you end up doing? and how did it work out?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't see anything that said he's putting the "toytech eibachs" on.
Eibach makes more than just those.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Uh - there's a more basic question here than assembly. Help me understand:

You've got Camburg 2.5" coilovers, and you're planning on putting some Eibach springs you got from Toytec onto them?

Two questions:

1. Why?

2. Aren't the Eibach springs 2" springs?? 2" Diameter springs won't fit onto the 2.5" coilovers, right? The 2.5" coilovers hold a larger diameter shock for more damping.

So, what did you end up doing? and how did it work out?
These are 3.0 600lb 14 inch coils from eibach not the toytec ones, i never said that. The retard i bought my coilovers from replaced the coils with some 8" coils instead of the 13s that came on them. I compressed the spring and slid off the cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
I didn't see anything that said he's putting the "toytech eibachs" on.
Eibach makes more than just those.