Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Lift Questions

Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
explorationGeo90 is on a distinguished road
Name: AJ
explorationGeo90's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Lift Questions

Hey TW. I bought my first Tacoma in May (2012 DCSB TRD Off-Road) for work and it not only met and surpassed my expectations but blew them away. I work as a exploration geologist in North-Central Washington and we do quite a bit off roading and travel a lot of rough roads. I just bought a set of 285/70/17 Greenball Kanti Mud Hogs to replace the balding stock BFGs after 17000 miles. I've looked at a few lift kits and know I want a 3" lift so I can maximize my clearance without needing a drop bracket for steering. I've heard about Icon and Toytech but i'd appreciate any input on lifts and what stage to get. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorationGeo90 View Post
Hey TW. I bought my first Tacoma in May (2012 DCSB TRD Off-Road) for work and it not only met and surpassed my expectations but blew them away. I work as a exploration geologist in North-Central Washington and we do quite a bit off roading and travel a lot of rough roads. I just bought a set of 285/70/17 Greenball Kanti Mud Hogs to replace the balding stock BFGs after 17000 miles. I've looked at a few lift kits and know I want a 3" lift so I can maximize my clearance without needing a drop bracket for steering. I've heard about Icon and Toytech but i'd appreciate any input on lifts and what stage to get. Thanks!
First Off, Welcome to TW!

What is your price range for the lift?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Thanks for the welcome! I'd have to say my max would be $2000. I'd like to keep the ride level as well. Knowing very little I think that a stage two would work for me. But again, input would be helpful. Keep the questions coming.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! I'd have to say my max would be $2000. I'd like to keep the ride level as well. Knowing very little I think that a stage two would work for me. But again, input would be helpful. Keep the questions coming.
Well, Are you going to install yourself or pay someone?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Kenpo is on a distinguished road
Kenpo's Tacoma Gallery
im in the same boat but i hav eabout 500 more to spend maybe 1000, i would like 6 inch but i heard 3 inch gives just as much ground clearance, and 6 inch takes away from realiability and actgually reduces groudn clearance...go figure? depending on the kit you want...to bad the thread i put just got a bunch of smart ass answers when i was asking on first hand experience :-/
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
Well, Are you going to install yourself or pay someone?
I'm going to pay someone else. As much as I don't want to give them the business I'm going to have it done at a toyota dealership. That way if something goes wrong down the line (i.e. the front axle goes out or the steering slips) I can look at them and say "your techs did it and it's under warranty"
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm going to pay someone else. As much as I don't want to give them the business I'm going to have it done at a toyota dealership. That way if something goes wrong down the line (i.e. the front axle goes out or the steering slips) I can look at them and say "your techs did it and it's under warranty"
Actually, you'd have a tough time fighting that one... They'll point at the lift and tell you that the lift kit caused the part to fail unless you have a really good dealership.

Depending on how much equipment you need to carry on these off road trails, you might want to look at the full OME kit with Dakar leaf springs and LR UCA's. The OME kit is very reliable and, unless you want to do high speed off road runs, will perform well also.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
.45%er

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Actually, you'd have a tough time fighting that one... They'll point at the lift and tell you that the lift kit caused the part to fail unless you have a really good dealership.

Depending on how much equipment you need to carry on these off road trails, you might want to look at the full OME kit with Dakar leaf springs and LR UCA's. The OME kit is very reliable and, unless you want to do high speed off road runs, will perform well also.
I agree with pugga OP. I think that OME full kit from DSM would be your best bet.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Quote:
I agree with pugga OP. I think that OME full kit from DSM would be your best bet.
thanks for your help! But you're going to have to break down those acronyms for me. Sad but it would help a lot, thanks!

Also I learned where a tacoma can't go today. Luckily it didn't involve sliding off a snow covered road and rolling myself and my truck
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvTEA View Post
OP = Original Poster

OME = Old Man Emu

DSM = Down South Motorsports

Here's a link with what you need (I think) http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-94...12-tacoma.html

What part of MT are you from? I lived in Great Falls for a few years and loved it.
So heavy coils and whats a trim packer?

I went to high school in the Biterroot Valley but call Missoula home now. MT seems to be a great place no matter where you are. I went hunting in Lima, Lincoln, and Seeley the last time I was home. Just awesome country all the way around.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Quote:
Welcome to TW from Ferntucky, NV
I agree with getting OME. I love my 885s & Dakars.
884s & 885s have the same spring rate (885s are just a little longer) & the 886s are heavier and for use with the ARB (parent company of OME) plate bumper & a winch.
The 884s will give your DCSB around 2.25" & the 885s around 2.75"
I plan on adding a .25" spacer (spacers will give you twice the thickness in lift) when I add a non ARB bumper & winch.
The trim packer goes under the driver side coil to correct "Taco Lean" caused by gas tank & battery on the same side (stock coils are a little longer on driver side).
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvTEA View Post
OP = Original Poster

OME = Old Man Emu

DSM = Down South Motorsports

Here's a link with what you need (I think) http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-94...12-tacoma.html

What part of MT are you from? I lived in Great Falls for a few years and loved it.
That looks about perfect for what I need. I'll get the heavy coils because I plan on adding a bumper, winch and rear bumper this winter. What about UCAs? Its going to be under 3" but I guess I'll see when I get it on at the end of next week
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
.45%er

Army:
Quote:
That looks about perfect for what I need. I'll get the heavy coils because I plan on adding a bumper, winch and rear bumper this winter. What about UCAs? Its going to be under 3" but I guess I'll see when I get it on at the end of next week

I would recommend , if you can afford it now, to just go ahead and put new uca's on now while you have everything dissembled.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
People are mostly guiding you down the right track, I think.

A couple things:

1. Don't be persuaded to get the "heavy" OME option with the 886 springs, unless you're putting on a heavy ARB bumper with winch.

2. to run 285/70R17 tires, you're going to either need new rims with 0mm or -6mm offset, or spidertrax wheel spacers. Otherwise, those wider tires are going to rub your upper control arms.

3. Since you're having the dealer do the work - I'd really err on the side of a little less lift and keeping the factory upper control arms so that you can get a good alignment using the factory alignment eccentric cams. The dealer's going to burn up your money awfully fast at their standard shop rate trying to figure out how to do an alignment using the new-and-different adjustments on an adjustable upper-control-arm such as the Light-Racing UCA. I'd be tempted to recommend 884 springs - but with a double cab (and you've got the V6, right??) you'll probably sit low enough on 885 springs to get a decent, if not great, alignment Caster adjustment number.

You're gonna have to get into the wheelwell with a heat gun and wood chisel and start removing inner wheelwell plastic to avoid rubbing no matter what.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
What Steve said^
Unless you are getting the ARB bumper (heavier than all others) & winch you don't want the 886s. 885s & if you need to add the spacer when you get your non ARB bumper & winch.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #19
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
OME w/ 885, dakar leafs FTW
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
People are mostly guiding you down the right track, I think.

A couple things:

1. Don't be persuaded to get the "heavy" OME option with the 886 springs, unless you're putting on a heavy ARB bumper with winch.

2. to run 285/70R17 tires, you're going to either need new rims with 0mm or -6mm offset, or spidertrax wheel spacers. Otherwise, those wider tires are going to rub your upper control arms.

3. Since you're having the dealer do the work - I'd really err on the side of a little less lift and keeping the factory upper control arms so that you can get a good alignment using the factory alignment eccentric cams. The dealer's going to burn up your money awfully fast at their standard shop rate trying to figure out how to do an alignment using the new-and-different adjustments on an adjustable upper-control-arm such as the Light-Racing UCA. I'd be tempted to recommend 884 springs - but with a double cab (and you've got the V6, right??) you'll probably sit low enough on 885 springs to get a decent, if not great, alignment Caster adjustment number.

You're gonna have to get into the wheelwell with a heat gun and wood chisel and start removing inner wheelwell plastic to avoid rubbing no matter what.
bjmoose, thanks for the insight very helpful. I've got a couple of questions/responses

1. I figure that I will get a 3/16" steel bumper somehwere down the road with a winch but might have to wait until I start working again next spring or summer. 885s should work for this winter. But I am definitely going to invest in one because of the deer and the nature of my work sooner rather than later. I can always switch out to 886s when the time comes.

2. Wheel spacers are going to be a must thanks for recommending spidertrax

3. I think with that OME package it would sit about 2.25" of lift so I could get away with the factory UCAs. I might have schwab do them since I figure they might have more experience and could get it done quicker. And yes I do have a V6

I predicted I'd need to get rid of some of the inner wheel well. Looks like I've got my hands full for the next few weeks between hunting and moding my taco