Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Trying to adjust coilovers

Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to adjust coilovers

Trying to adjust my coilovers but they arent cooperating haha ive sprayed a lot of wd40 and tried cleaning up the threads but its not helping very much. The bad threads are under the adjusting collar thing so i cant get to them to clean em. Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Are you doing this while they're still on the truck and under load?

I would take the whole assembly out and clean and try to adjust them that way. You might have to compress the coils to take the load/pressure off......
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
at least jack up the truck and let the suspension droop, remove the wheels so you can get in there better. PB blaster will work better than WD 40.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
^^ PB blaster does shit wd40 can't.......deff need that side jacked up and off the ground!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you doing this while they're still on the truck and under load?

I would take the whole assembly out and clean and try to adjust them that way. You might have to compress the coils to take the load/pressure off......
How would i adjust them while theyre not on the truck though? I thought about compressing them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
at least jack up the truck and let the suspension droop, remove the wheels so you can get in there better. PB blaster will work better than WD 40.
Yeah its jacked up and off but they refuse to move haha ill try some peanut buttah blaster
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinramsay View Post
How would i adjust them while theyre not on the truck though? I thought about compressing them too
The whole coil/strut assembly comes out of the truck. You'd adjust them the same way you do when ON the truck.

Compressing the coil to get the pressure off the threads.... and PB blaster is awesome shit!!

If you get the threads to move - even slightly - don't force it. Work the threads back-in-forth and continue to spray PB in there. You may need to 'back out' before you going forward....(threads could be corroded or covered with dirt/debris).
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
to adjust them off the truck you would need to secure them in a vice that is mounted to a secure work area.

are you using a spanner wrench or a punch and hammer?

if you have a spanner, try and use a cheater bar to extend the handle so you can get more leverage. I did this when I had my fox coilovers
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The whole coil/strut assembly comes out of the truck. You'd adjust them the same way you do when ON the truck.

Compressing the coil to get the pressure off the threads.... and PB blaster is awesome shit!!

If you get the threads to move - even slightly - don't force it. Work the threads back-in-forth and continue to spray PB in there. You may need to 'back out' before you going forward....(threads could be corroded or covered with dirt/debris).
Haha i know the whole coilover comes out of the truck but thats not what i meant Yeah ill probably go rent a spring compressor then and get a lot of pb blaster. I figured i would use a vice to hold them while i adjusted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
to adjust them off the truck you would need to secure them in a vice that is mounted to a secure work area.

are you using a spanner wrench or a punch and hammer?

if you have a spanner, try and use a cheater bar to extend the handle so you can get more leverage. I did this when I had my fox coilovers
Well i was using a punch/hammer while they were on the truck because the uca was in the way. And alright sounds good thanks!