Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Best AAL for 1.5" to 2" of Lift

Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Best AAL for 1.5" to 2" of Lift

I have a stock leaf pack, no-TSB, for a DCSB, and I want to get 1.5" to 2" of lift in the rear with an AAL. What is the best AAL for ride quality, load capacity, and quiet, or just all around? I know an AAL is going to make it worse than stock, and an AAL is not as good as a new pack, but neither of those options are going to work, dont have the money to buy new packs, and I dont off-road that hardcore, and I want to maintain my lift. I have been leaning towards a progressive 3 pack AAL, like the Wheelers one, but then there is the heavy duty and regular one...? Is there a better all around AAL?

I have 5100s in the rear, and some random AAL currently, it has no friction pads and squeaks like hell. I have cleaned it and it still squeaks. I also added some plastic plates inbetween the leafs, but still have squeaks. I am getting a practically new stock non-TSB leaf pack from another member, and hoping that it is my bushings that need replacing, and a new leaf pack will solve that issue, and fix the fact that mine are a little worn out with 110k miles on them.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You really can't go wrong with the progressive AAL. I've got the Icon 3-leaf, which I hear is very very similar to the standard 3-leaf AAL that's sold by Wheeler's. If you haul or tow, you'll probably want to go with the HD 3-leaf. My Icon AAL was installed into a TSB leaf pack and supports weight very well. I don't tow very often but when I do, it's usually something pretty heavy. Another perk with the 3-leaf AAL is, although they are more expensive, they come with new U-bolts and centering pins (at least the Icon did, I'd imagine the same is true of the Wheeler's version).

Edit: Forgot to add, I left the overload in place so I got 2" of lift. If you tow or haul, I'd recommend leaving the overload leaf in place.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
yep wheelers came with ubolts and a new centering pin. I like my wheelers 3 leaf non hd, i rode with the overload in place for a while and then realized it wasn't really necessary for my driving and hauling and I also had a bit of drive line vibe at takeoff so I took it out and am happy with the lift and ride with no more vibes (the vibes were barely noticeable...). See sig for specs.

~M

Edit: they also have not sagged hardly any in the 1500 miles i have on them, and there is no noise to report. I wheel them pretty good and they get good and muddy/dusty/whatever but I always try to wash after and they have remained squeak free thus far. They come with disks that go between the ends of the aal and your current pack to help with noise.