Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

icon

Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stefan
RIDDICK3's Tacoma Gallery
icon

got some icon coilovers and am wondering how much thread should be showing to get full 3 iches and will the ride suck
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 10 threads showing on my danohoes (ICON) and have 2.5 inches of lift....
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDICK3 View Post
got some icon coilovers and am wondering how much thread should be showing to get full 3 iches and will the ride suck
At 3" you will be at the farthest limit of the coilover assuming they are the extended travel units. You will have very little droop travel, and when your shocks top out it will feel like your front end is going to rip apart. Other than that, it will ride the same as 1" lift.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to behold

i just got them dont know if there extended travel or not but when i got then one was set 2 3/4 from top to shock and the other 1 3/4 here they are

Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would crank those down a lot. Measure your starting height then add preload as needed to reach your 3 inch goal. Also do you have top plates for the coilovers?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
nuckin futs member

no I am going to order some do I adjust them on the truck or do I have to take them off every time
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Shut up Hippie!
ffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: space ship door gunner
Name: Austin
ffemt2987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no I am going to order some do I adjust them on the truck or do I have to take them off every time
I was told by DSM to have them in a spring compressor in order to adjust them. I am in the same boat with not knowing how much preload to put on my used set that I just picked up and rebuilt...

Are you running a bumper or winch?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
I adjusted mine on the truck using the spammer wrench and cheater pipe it's actually fairly easy. With so much preload already on the coilovers your probably gonna have a hell of a time getting them on too
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking to Icon you can adjust these on the truck and you do not need a spring compressor.

But those are NOT gonna fit a 2nd Gen Tacoma. If you are going to keep those shocks (and I don't know if you can just put a top plate on those and make them work) you are going to need to get the 2 piece spacers for the bottom

And yes you need to lower those.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #11

^^^

Yes those will work for second gens he just needs the top plate. I sent one of mine to icon to get it fixed before I put them on my truck. But you are right about needing the spacers that go on the bottom of the coilover...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
nuckin futs member

what spacer you talking about? but ya i talked to icon gonna order top plates for them soon
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #13

At the bottom of the coilovers where the LCA bolt goes through there are little spacers that go on each side to keep it lined up. When u order the top plates just tell them you need a pair.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what spacer you talking about? but ya i talked to icon gonna order top plates for them soon
Call Icon back and ask for the Lower Control Arm spacers. Its long spacer (front) and a short spacer (rear)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
nuckin futs member

like they go inside that ball joint on the bottom
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #16

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
^^^

Yes those will work for second gens he just needs the top plate. I sent one of mine to icon to get it fixed before I put them on my truck. But you are right about needing the spacers that go on the bottom of the coilover...

My bad. Sorry mine came new and it had the top plate on them so I don't know what they look like without the plate
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Great Shocks

I have the Icon Extended travel with resis and I love them. They're a huge improvement in ride comfort and performance. Mine are cranked up pretty well but based on measurements front of frame and back they're adjusted where I want them. I would say I have almost a full three inches of lift. It's also going to depend on your personal preference and existing armor gear and use for your truck. Overall I'd def make the purchase again. Best of luck
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
nuckin futs member

how many threads are showing on yours?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #19

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 1.25" showing I believe. Ill check tomorrow. And I have not adjusted anything. Just threw them on
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
nuckin futs member

those that are running these what are you hub to fender and how many threads or iches showing