Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

remounting stock bumps

Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
redrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Michael
redrider58's Tacoma Gallery
remounting stock bumps

I searched around on here and couln't find exaclty what I was looking for. My question is pretty simple; Can I mount my stock bumps on the AP expo leafs with the U-bolt flip kit? If possible, how? The plate for the flip kit wasn't drilled for the timbren bumps. So I can't just bolt up the bumps unfortunately without breaking out the drill press.
Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
redrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the rough

anyone?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcrowm View Post
sorry i dont have the answer...but i'm just curious why are you putting the stock bumper back on?
bump stops..
And you can tack weld them on.
ORRRRRRR
You can buy some daystar bumps for cheap
http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...?productID=658

and then do this

Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Deadcrowm is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Name: Mike
Deadcrowm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
bump stops..
ORRRRRRR

and then do this

Oops i should probably learn how to read. or get some sleep one or the other
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You can permanently JB Weld the bump's backplate to the U-bolt plate. May have to trim the backplate to clear the U-bolt nuts on removal.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
bump stops..
ORRRRRRR

and then do this

Awesome. Thanks for the info. How'd you mount those bumps like that?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You can permanently JB Weld the bump's backplate to the U-bolt plate. May have to trim the backplate to clear the U-bolt nuts on removal.
That's what I was thinking, but I am kinda concerned if the JB weld will hold or not going down some washboard road, or if I flex the truck and the chassis hits it at an angle where it will just break it off.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
How is the stock bump rubber attached to the backplate? I seem to remember it was adhesive?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't trust JB weld.......the daystars just bolt up and would be the better way to go for off-roading too!

I got superbumps and drilled them out but the daystars seem to work well!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider58 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the info. How'd you mount those bumps like that?
There daystars have abolt and nut on the back connected to the bump stop.
So i just drilled a hole through the stock bump stop plate and attached it to that
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
So i just drilled a hole through the stock bump stop plate and attached it to that
Alright, awesome. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have you seen how the Ford Raptor frames bend?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Have you seen how the Ford Raptor frames bend?
No...
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Rear bumps? I haven't put mine back on :0 it's how I get the gnar flex!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No...
Ford mounted the bump stop on the frame. The bolt hole at the apex of the frame curve creates a weak point where the bending stresses are the highest. Of course, the problem didn't surface until Raptor owners started mobbing in the desert; the other 500,000 F-series trucks sold every year and used for boring purposes never had a problem.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Ford mounted the bump stop on the frame. The bolt hole at the apex of the frame curve creates a weak point where the bending stresses are the highest. Of course, the problem didn't surface until Raptor owners started mobbing in the desert; the other 500,000 F-series trucks sold every year and used for boring purposes never had a problem.
Hmmm well if my bump mount breaks ill gave some custom mount made
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
JB weld does not work. I speak from experience. Shaved down the factory bump stops to fit the flip kit and used a generous amount of JB to hold them down. Went to recheck my U-bolts for torque and the bump stops were missing. I will be getting more and welding them on.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
JB weld does not work. I speak from experience. Shaved down the factory bump stops to fit the flip kit and used a generous amount of JB to hold them down. Went to recheck my U-bolts for torque and the bump stops were missing. I will be getting more and welding them on.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
They have a predrilled u bolt flip kit. You need that and to trim your stock bumps to clear the supplied bolts. That is how I did mine.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
They have a predrilled u bolt flip kit. You need that and to trim your stock bumps to clear the supplied bolts. That is how I did mine.
They pre drill the plate if you order the timbren bumps with them. or tell them that you want it predrilled (which I failed to tell them)