Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help please, shock tower nuts unremovable!!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Question Help please, front suspension unremovable!!

I installed the diff drop kit today and was hoping to install the Toytec Coilover as well but I can't remove the 3 small nuts on top of the shock tower!! I already partially stripped one, also tryed to heat them up with a torch but they won't come out! What to do?

How bad is it to have the diff drop kit installed with a stock suspension?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
PB blaster, CRC freeze off.

nut splitter?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Angle grinder or dremel, either one will make short work of those nuts with a cut-off wheel.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be surprised if you could get at those nuts with either.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I'd be surprised if you could get at those nuts with either.
You can get in there with a dremel, at least enough to score the nut so it'll break when you put a wrench or vise grips on them.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
PB blaster, CRC freeze off.

nut splitter?

Thanks guys, just got some PB blaster and a nut splitter just in case.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid question: Is it possible that these nuts be welded on top of the shock tower? I've tried everything and still can't remove them?

It seems to me like there's a weld pass around the bottom of each nuts!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Now that they are soaked with PB...box wrench and a hammer.
Place box wrench on nut and hold and whack the shit out of it with your favorite ford tool.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #11

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
no, just the base of the nut.
Thanks, so basically what I'm thinking is a weld is in fact only the nut's flange?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellero View Post
Thanks, so basically what I'm thinking is a weld is in fact only the nut's flange?
Correct
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #14

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
They aren't welded, they are flange nuts.

Keep soaking them in PB blaster for atleast an entire day.
You beat me to it, that's what I just realized, flange nuts! I'm flabbergasted by my dumbness!!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I slam an impact socket on there with a hammer that fits really tight and put an impact gun on it from there. After that I cut them off entirely with a cutoff wheel of some kind and then replace the top plate with new.
Please do tell how you fit an impact in the wheel well above the coil bucket?
Did you cut a hole in the core support and go through the engine bay?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
maybe an impact ratchet instead of a gun...
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Been there man. You got my sympathies. A nut splitter at the very least will open it up enough that a wrench can take it off finally. However have your spares ready to go before you have at them.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
maybe an impact ratchet instead of a gun...
Doubtful. I dunno what air ratchet he may have, but my air ratchet only puts out 70 ft-lbs max torque.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Yah, I never did this to this truck before. Cars in the past I have done have easy access to the nuts from under the hood. I guess if you cannot get straight down on them, I cut them thru with a sawsall or something. I also own a nice pair of curved jaw channel lock pliers that would make short work of these nuts. Snap-On sells some good stuff.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yah, I never did this to this truck before. Cars in the past I have done have easy access to the nuts from under the hood. I guess if you cannot get straight down on them, I cut them thru with a sawsall or something. I also own a nice pair of curved jaw channel lock pliers that would make short work of these nuts. Snap-On sells some good stuff.

There's 3.5" of space between the coil bucket and the core support and almost no rotational area due to the fact the coil bucket tapers upwards. Channel locks aren't gonna do squat here.