Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

PROS AND CONS OF A 3" LIFT

Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
gome29 is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
gome29's Tacoma Gallery
PROS AND CONS OF A 3" LIFT

I have been doing some research about lifting my truck and i wanted to know what taco owners think about it specifically on our trucks. Whether is about future problems or how badass it's going to look.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold
Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to be an ass but there must be 8,000 threads on 3" lifts on this site alone. Try the search function.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Not trying to be an ass but there must be 8,000 threads on 3" lifts on this site alone. Try the search function.
i don't think OP is asking about 3" lift rather the pros and cons of a 3" lift. he could search the lift threads and figure it out thorugh hours or research or somone with experience can chime in an attempt to address the pros and cons.

or perhaps OP is looking for information on 3" lifts in which case the search advice is pretty good
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold
Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Yes I know what he was asking. My thing is, somewhere on the internets someone has taken the time to write out tons of info on lifts but people don't think to search. I don't mean any harm. Google is easy.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
Wildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
Wildlandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Op if you get a 3 inch lift be sure to look into getting new upper control arms like camburg/total chaos etc... If you don't get new uppers then your alignment won't be close to stock. That's the only con I see with getting 3 in lift
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Search yes but what sometimes comes back with way to many useless threads to what your looking for.. Anyway...

OP.. From what I have seen and read my ass off on here you will def need new UCA'S. Everyone says stay away from spacers, yet a lot of people use them.. I won't but that's my opinion.. I would say the only con that scares me is the vibration problems some people seem to have. Lots of options out there I am still trying to make my decision! But I am almost there.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
Wildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetaco View Post
Search yes but what sometimes comes back with way to many useless threads to what your looking for.. Anyway...

OP.. From what I have seen and read my ass off on here you will def need new UCA'S. Everyone says stay away from spacers, yet a lot of people use them.. I won't but that's my opinion.. I would say the only con that scares me is the vibration problems some people seem to have. Lots of options out there I am still trying to make my decision! But I am almost there.
Vibration isn't that bad I have it you get used to it but I think 2.5 inch lift all around Would be best cuz then you don't really need to get new uppers and your alignment will be somewhat close to stock. Uppers is optional
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good point, how bad is the alignment issue at 2.5?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

2.5 in you can get away with not having aftermarket uppers I have my coilovers set at 2.5 and I don't have any issues.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
2.5 in you can get away with not having aftermarket uppers I have my coilovers set at 2.5 and I don't have any issues.
I had alignment issues. Some do, some don't. This has been discussed countless times. Poor alignment can cause uneven tire wear and steering issues. Lifts can create vibration issues and CV issues as well.

Outside of appearance, I think the main reason to lift a truck is to create clearance for larger tires. Larger tires are what create clearance from the ground.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
gome29 is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
gome29's Tacoma Gallery
See, your guys' conversation allowed me to learn it alot better and directly
Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
pro: more clearance, allows fitment of larger tire, which equates to better offroad ability. Looks

women also throw their underwear at you, visciously.

cons-
increased wear on suspension parts
larger tires can cause wear on transmission
larger tires can rub
larger tires cause loss in MPG
higher center of gravity means in emergency high-speed manuvers, the truck can roll much easier.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Secret Squirell, Contract Completed
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
^this
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Pros outweigh cons to most. That's why so many people run a 3" lift. Seriously increases offroad ability is the biggest pro IMO.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
pros: looks awesomez

cons: cost $$$
Old 11-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
Bussy36 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Bussy36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
I had alignment issues. Some do, some don't. This has been discussed countless times. Poor alignment can cause uneven tire wear and steering issues. Lifts can create vibration issues and CV issues as well.

Outside of appearance, I think the main reason to lift a truck is to create clearance for larger tires. Larger tires are what create clearance from the ground.
This is pretty much what has me on the fence about lifting my truck, not knowing how it will wear other parts of the truck (suspension, etc) and the long term reliability/durability for those of us who keep it mostly on the pavement.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #17
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I do not like 3" lifts.
No one has mentioned the amount of down travel you lose when you lift 3".
In simple terms with a basic lift ~ if you lift 3" you lose 3" of down travel.

My current set up is about 1" of lift. I drive mostly on fire roads where speed is wanted more then clearance. I do drag my skids on a good deal of obstacles, but that's what they are there for. This mild lift is why I run the largest tires you can stuff under a Tacoma without major modifications (255/85/16).
Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #18
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Personally I do not like 3" lifts.
No one has mentioned the amount of down travel you lose when you lift 3".
In simple terms with a basic lift ~ if you lift 3" you lose 3" of down travel.

My current set up is about 1" of lift. I drive mostly on fire roads where speed is wanted more then clearance. I do drag my skids on a good deal of obstacles, but that's what they are there for. This mild lift is why I run the largest tires you can stuff under a Tacoma without major modifications (255/85/16).
Can you post up your set up and where you got it. That is what I am looking to do, I am not a hard core offroader. I go off during hunting and fishing trips but that is also on fire/logging roads
Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #19
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Can you post up your set up and where you got it. That is what I am looking to do, I am not a hard core offroader. I go off during hunting and fishing trips but that is also on fire/logging roads
Every truck will be different depending on use and weight. I have front/rear plate bumpers and full ATO skids making it much heavier then a stock Tacoma.

Front:
King 2.5 remotes with 700# springs and 1/4" of pre-load (threads showing)
TC UCA's with FK stainless uni-balls
Wheelers bump stops

Rear:
TSB springs with overload removed
Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL
Bilstein 5100's (not the extended version but should be)
Wheelers bump stops with no tower mounted to the frame not the leaves