Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Leaf Spring TSB for a truck that's waaaay out of warranty

Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
minibiter is on a distinguished road
minibiter's Tacoma Gallery
Leaf Spring TSB for a truck that's waaaay out of warranty

Apologies in advance if this question's already been answered in another thread and I didn't find the answer. I looked, I promise!

I have a stock 2007 double cab TRD off road and I need the back to be a little stiffer so it stops bottoming out while hauling my toys around. I've read all about the leaf spring TSB but with 160k miles on an 07, I'm not getting it for free.

I want it to be a little stiffer, but not much higher. 1" max, 0.5" would be ideal. I'd like to avoid having to mod the front suspension to keep the ride even and ideally I'd like to keep the same shocks on the rear but obviously if the rear spring stiffness changes much I'll need a different damper to keep the ratio.

So, any recommendations? Should I get an add-a-leaf? All-new leaf packs? What are good ones to get? What's worked for other people? Or should I just pay for the TSB?

I'd like to keep it under $1000. Seems like that shouldn't be too hard from the little bit of shopping I did.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
There are many possible solutions to your rear suspension problem. The one WRONG ANSWER would be to pay for Toyota TSB rear springs from a dealer. There are many better answers that are cheaper than the Toyota springs.

At 160,000 miles, all four of your factory shocks are probably long overdue for replacement. Consider replacing them with Bilstein 4600s or 5100s, not theToyota Bilsteins that you have now. There is a big differnce in quality and performance.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
People sell the TSB leafs on here all the time. Buy a used set.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
As stated above do not pay a dealership for the TSB leaf packs. Depending on the current condition of your springs I would start with an AAL and new shocks and see where that gets you as long as the rear leafs haven't hit the negative arch stage. If you need a little more support but don't want to lift the vehicle then airbags may be an option.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
AAL or Air bags or maybe even helper springs. I'm selling a set of Helwig helpers here helwig-ez-500-helper-springs
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...urbishing.html

This guy does some. He's a member on here and many can vouch for him. I believe he does ship them as well.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned, Toy OE products are not the way to go.
Buy a set of 4 Bilstein 5100's, set the fronts at 0.
For min lift in the rear, NWOR offers minimal lift.
Putting add a leafs is only a bandaid.
With Toyota, you need to start from scratch.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Air bags

Had the same problem with my 2006 DC. put on new shocks but that didn't help. Installed a pair of Firestone Ride-Rite air springs (bags). No problems anymore. Got the no-drill model, went on in about 1 hour.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
minibiter is on a distinguished road
minibiter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks - I'm thinking an add-a-leaf and Bilstein 5100's. Now to find the best Black Friday deal...
Old 11-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Why aal when you have 1k to spend, buy a new leaf pack.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Why aal when you have 1k to spend, buy a new leaf pack.
OP doesn't want a lift. Another option is to check and see if you have a spring shop near you. I have had good luck with a shop near me that does great work.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
OP doesn't want a lift. Another option is to check and see if you have a spring shop near you. I have had good luck with a shop near me that does great work.
NWOR doesn't lift and will do much more than AAL.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
My pee parts itch

Cheaper to find a local solution.