Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

cv axle

Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stefan
RIDDICK3's Tacoma Gallery
cv axle

this has probably gone over but i couldn't find where. was at napa today and asked them about there cv axles, they said they had some refab axles just was wondering if they were oem or not? anyone that has any input on these thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
If they're reman then they're OEM axles that have been serviced. Probably beats aftermarket new.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to behold

ya thats what the guy said I asked him if he knew if they were oem and he didn't know for sure.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
I work for Napa and all our "reman" axles are rebuilt from OEM stock. They tear them apart change the parts that need changing re grease and install new clips and boots.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
nuckin futs member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
I work for Napa and all our "reman" axles are rebuilt from OEM stock. They tear them apart change the parts that need changing re grease and install new clips and boots.
thanks for the input man I was hoping someone on here worked at napa and would see this haha
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
how much do they charge?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
nuckin futs member

60 after the core without the core 110 is what the guy told me
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDICK3 View Post
60 after the core without the core 110 is what the guy told me
$110 dollars for a non-core, remanned, OEM CV axle? Did I read that right?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
nuckin futs member

ya 110 for a refab and 60 for a refab and you have to bring your core in. maybe ae111black will correct me if im wrong
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDICK3 View Post
ya 110 for a refab and 60 for a refab and you have to bring your core in. maybe ae111black will correct me if im wrong
I would make sure they are Toyota first. If you actually need to use your CV's you will be much happier that you have Toyota OEM v. some crap at Autozone or what have you.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
I found a great deal on getting mine rebuild by a local axle shop. You might want to look into that.

What do you need? New boots, new bearings?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure this isn't right.

I bought one. Turned out to be a different axle.

I eventually went to the dealer and bought a dealer part, and kept that NAPA as my spare.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
I found a great deal on getting mine rebuild by a local axle shop. You might want to look into that.

What do you need? New boots, new bearings?
This is the way to go. You want to keep your OEM axle. It's stronger and has better articulation angles without jamming/binding/breaking.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I'm pretty sure this isn't right.

I bought one. Turned out to be a different axle.
^That is what I thought would happen.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
look at it in the box before you buy
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The one thing the shop that fixed mine told me:

Toyota makes the best boots, unless you are upgrading to $150+ boots like some of the LT guys.

I went and bought the boots from my dealership and had the shop put them on for me. I think it was $50 total (new boots and labor) for both axles. Took them 10 mins to do it too.

(You should have seen me riding on a motorcycle down the freeway with 2 CV axles sticking out of a backpack).
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
Stop staring at me swan!

Quote:
(You should have seen me riding on a motorcycle down the freeway with 2 CV axles sticking out of a backpack).
"Holy shit he has a flux capacitor in his backpack!"

Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The one thing the shop that fixed mine told me:

Toyota makes the best boots, unless you are upgrading to $150+ boots like some of the LT guys.

I went and bought the boots from my dealership and had the shop put them on for me. I think it was $50 total (new boots and labor) for both axles. Took them 10 mins to do it too.

What dealership?!?! I have a leaky boot and the Toyata stealers hip wanted over $600 to replace them!!! What am I missing?!

If I am getting work done to the front suspension I would like to upgrade but that shit gets expensive fast. Any suggestions for CV axle upgrade?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #19
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
OEM is the way to go but reading N0rths build I'm sort of impressed by the cheapo Cardones he's running. Especially with his big a$$ tires! I would just buy them for spares...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4052471

post #418
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
N7MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevans2 View Post
What dealership?!?! I have a leaky boot and the Toyata stealers hip wanted over $600 to replace them!!! What am I missing?!

If I am getting work done to the front suspension I would like to upgrade but that shit gets expensive fast. Any suggestions for CV axle upgrade?
I bought the boots from the Dealership for $25 (complete set) and then paid $20 for an axle shop to put the boots on. I pulled and reinstalled the axles myself.