1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frozen alignment cams...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 07 sport 4x4, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Nov 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I am in the process of installing new shocks, I have the driver side installed but I used the method that does not involve a spring compressor(meaning I loosened the alignment cams). I have everything back together, but one of the alignment cams is frozen in place, I have it fairly close to its original position, but I am concerned that the dealership won't be able to do an alignment with the cam being seized. If anyone else has had this problem, What did the dealer/alignment shop say when you took it in? I am still covered by the platinum extended warranty, any clue if it would cover this or not?

2. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
  3. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I do my own DIY thrust angle alignments on my Taco. A couple of my alignment cams were frozen like yours within nine months after the truck was manufactured.

Be careful about using a lot of force in trying to move these it as you can (will) bend the alignment tabs next to the cams and ruin your day.

I made up a 50:50 mixture of acetone (Home Depot) and automatic transmission fluid and mixed it thoroughly (shake, shake, shake, shake and shake some more). Then removed the skid plates and loaded my mixture into a large syringe with a rather large needle. And for about a month, every other day I dripped the mix on the steel cam plates on both sides of the cams and allowed it to seep in. Do not allow the mix to run on to the rubber bushings themselves as the ATF will swell the rubber. Not sure what the acetone will do to the rubber and I don't want to find out the hard way.

However, if you are very, very careful, you can angle the tip of the needle to just allow drops to run down the frame mounting brackets on to the metal-metal pieces of the cams and and not touch the rubber parts. As a bonus, the rear-most cam bolts (only the rear ones), have two slots machined into and along side the bolts themselves. Take a toothpick and probe the rear ones where the threads stick out to find these slots. I stuck the syringe needle into these slots and injected them as well. One day the solution came out the other side of the cams too. Finally all four broke free with minimal effort.

Good luck.

4. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Seized alignment cams on the 2nd Gens is a common problem

5. Nov 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Thanks Taco'09, I'm taking it in for an alignment as soon as the dealer can get it in, hopefully they just replace the bushing or the LCA under warranty, but if not i will definitely give that a try. The front alignment cams are seized on the driver and passenger sides, but the rears moved effortlessly. This is kinda aggravating, but i cant complain,the taco hasn't missed a beat in nearly six years!

6. Nov 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I'm not sure if this was bad, but I just soaked mine in PB blaster when I was putting in my new shocks and springs.

7. Nov 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I doubt they will replace the LCA's outside of the 3 year bumper to bumper

8. Nov 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Eh, I'm just gonna play dumb when I take it in for an alignment and just see what they say. The platinum is supposed to cover everything except wear items and rubber components(like windshield wipers, trim, tires, etc.)

9. Nov 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully it works out for you

10. Nov 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Fingers crossed! I'll update after I see what the dealership says.

11. Nov 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just for fun I looked at the chemical compatibility charts that Cole-Parmer has at the top of this site: http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

My home brew in post #3 above uses acetone. I don't know what type of rubber the cam bushings are made of so the Cole-Parmer chart does not help here. To be on the safe side I would assume the worse case that acetone has a severe effect on the type of rubber used in the bushings. That is why I warned not to get the acetone-ATF home brew any of the bushing's rubber part, or an other rubber parts in the general neighborhood for that matter.

This chart might also be useful to others using their favorite type of rust penetration products. Look at the ingredients on the can and reference the Cole-Parmer chart above. The main ingredient might be what you are after, but look out for the carrier solvents that may be present in the ingredients as well such as hexane, heptane, etc. Might have to reference the MSDS sheet too. For example, silicone sprays, usually good for rubber, have been known to ruin many rubber pieces because of the solvents used along with the formulation.

12. Nov 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I got my alignment done today, they had some trouble, but did get it within specs. Also I had the spiral cable recall done. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354150221.093926.jpg

13. Nov 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Not bad numbers

14. Nov 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    It definitely drives a whole lot better and only cost $65, but a new leaf pack is next on the agenda. The original packs are about dead, any recommendations? I have looked at the wheelersoffroad leaf pack, but haven't heard about many people running them.

15. Nov 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    j753301

j753301 Active Member

Member:
    South Hadley , Mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport double cab
    Just picked up my truck today from the dealer. Brought it in a week ago for an alignment after new tires and the lower adj. bolts were frozen. Mine is a 2010 with 30k on it. They replaced the lower control arms and cam bolts. Hopefully they anti seized it when they put it together.

16. Nov 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Not if they assembled it the same as the factory , lol

Products Discussed in

To Top