Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Anti Seize !!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Yota_Fox is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
Yota_Fox's Tacoma Gallery
Anti Seize !!

Ok so I'm 3/4s the way through my tear down and last night I busted more knuckles and cursed to get the damn front leaf bushing bolts out !!! My question is can or why couldn't I put some anti seize on the new bolt shanks to possibly avoid this in the future !?!? Or is this one of those things that the bolts are supposed to lock themselves in solid and not move ??
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think there are any bolts that you can't put anti-seize on!(watch someone prove me wrong..)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to take into account with anti-seize is that it affects your torque wrench readings when tightening, due to the lesser amount of friction the nut is encountering. So sometimes using antiseize can lead to over-torquing if you are not careful.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
One thing to take into account with anti-seize is that it affects your torque wrench readings when tightening, due to the lesser amount of friction the nut is encountering. So sometimes using antiseize can lead to over-torquing if you are not careful.
That is something i never thought about...TIP OF THE DAY!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
That is something i never thought about...TIP OF THE DAY!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
In all honesty, not true. No torque spec (at least in vehicles that I've worked on) is specified for being lubed or not lubed
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
In all honesty, not true. No torque spec (at least in vehicles that I've worked on) is specified for being lubed or not lubed
Just because it doesn't say where you looked - Doesn't make it not true. There certainly are different torque specs for lubed versus un-lubed threads.

I would venture a guess that most torque settings assume unlubed, but I'd have to pull out the books to confirm.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Update your knowledge: http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/...rqueCharts.pdf

Per the chart, reduce your lubed torque by 20% for use of anti-seize, and always lubricate and use lubed torque values.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If we all go back and carefully read what the OP asked and focus on answering his question, he specifically mentioned shanks, not threads.

Shanks, yes. Or grease them. I put anitseize on mine.

Threads, no.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
What about anti-sieze on the bushings?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
The rubber or uretahne bushings in the leaf eyes? Use a light coating of grease for install. The corrosion causing seizure really only happens between the bolt shank and the metal sleeve in the bushing it goes through. Moly grease is fine.

You can get greaseable bushings if you want (mentions moly or teflon grease)
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/gstacoma.htm
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #12

Lots of info and yes I mean shanks the threads where fine just the shanks rusted solid to the middle of the sleeves on the bushing I've had the same problem on my 89 years ago and thought I'd find out if it was possible thanks alot guys
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #13

Those wheeler greasable ones you are talking about are for 99 to 04 I've got an 08 ?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
I bought these

Bushing Set for CS047 Spring Set:15.69/set
Black graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings with sleeves. Does the shackle end of both springs. The CS047 springs come from OME with factory style main eye bushings already installed. OUR INEXPENSIVE BUSHING KIT SOLVES THE PROBLEM OF TRYING TO RE-USE YOUR FACTORY RUBBER BUSHINGS FOR THE SHACKLE END OF THE SPRING!