1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen. 5100s which OME coil to pair with.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dylanjbegin, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    dylanjbegin

dylanjbegin [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 v6 allpro'ed up
    All pro bumpers front and rear, Custom Steel Skid plate / Grill, HID conversion,KN Cold air, JBA headers, Throttle body spacer, 3'' cat back exhaust, jungle fender flares, wheel spacers, 31'' rubber
    Hey guys i have a 98 4x4 with a combined weight of about 220-240lbs up front (Winch, Allpro bumper, and custom skid plate) that im looking to give a few inches lift after sagging of front stock springs. Getting Bilstein 5100's and wondering what would be best for my application.
    Considering OME
    881 - seems too low of spring rate and could sag
    882 - longer, so added compression on struts would give a stiffer ride
    883 - same height as 881 with higher spring rate so would give more lift due to less sag, but not as long as 882. Too stiff of ride?
    Eibach - highest spring rate --> same lift as 883? Also harder for me to get here in canada

having some difficulties if anyone has some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Have read lots of forums but thee doesnt seem to be that much definitive info on the 883's and thats what im kind of leaning towards as of now.

Thanks.

2. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    First, I would recommend figuring out what coil and lift you want, then get shocks that work with them. If you use 5100s with a stronger aftermarket coil, you can't use the lifting option on the 5100s because the perches aren't designed to take the higher spring rates. You'd have to use them set on zero, which is fine if they provide the ride you want. That said...

If you are considering OME coils, I recommend OME shocks from personal experience. They are designed and valved to work omptimally with the OME coil spring rates. I had originally had 5100s set on zero with my 881s, and I found the ride too stiff and jarring after a while. I swapped out the 5100s for OME Nitrochargers all the way around.

Many members are happy with Eibachs and 5100s set on zero. I have no experience with that setup.

It also comes down to your preference for ride and typical use of your truck. As a 90% daily driver on pavement, I was very interested in ride comfort and good, firm control. The OME setup meets this need, and is also great for "medium" or "intermediate" offroad.

By the way, all the OME 880 through 882 coils have the same spring rates, I believe 501 lb or therabouts.

883 will be pretty stiff unless you have a heavy bumper (liek ARB) and winch plus armor. It looks likes you have some of that. Are you V6, too?

3. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Agreed.

4. Nov 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    dylanjbegin

dylanjbegin [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 v6 allpro'ed up
    All pro bumpers front and rear, Custom Steel Skid plate / Grill, HID conversion,KN Cold air, JBA headers, Throttle body spacer, 3'' cat back exhaust, jungle fender flares, wheel spacers, 31'' rubber
    Thanks, gonna go with the Eibachs and 5100s. Possibly try to do an OMD leaf pack rebuild with chevy springs in the next couple weeks

Products Discussed in

To Top