LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1st Gen. 5100s which OME coil to pair with.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
dylanjbegin is on a distinguished road
dylanjbegin's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen. 5100s which OME coil to pair with.

Hey guys i have a 98 4x4 with a combined weight of about 220-240lbs up front (Winch, Allpro bumper, and custom skid plate) that im looking to give a few inches lift after sagging of front stock springs. Getting Bilstein 5100's and wondering what would be best for my application.
Considering OME
881 - seems too low of spring rate and could sag
882 - longer, so added compression on struts would give a stiffer ride
883 - same height as 881 with higher spring rate so would give more lift due to less sag, but not as long as 882. Too stiff of ride?
Eibach - highest spring rate --> same lift as 883? Also harder for me to get here in canada

having some difficulties if anyone has some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Have read lots of forums but thee doesnt seem to be that much definitive info on the 883's and thats what im kind of leaning towards as of now.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanjbegin View Post
Hey guys i have a 98 4x4 with a combined weight of about 220-240lbs up front (Winch, Allpro bumper, and custom skid plate) that im looking to give a few inches lift after sagging of front stock springs. Getting Bilstein 5100's and wondering what would be best for my application.
Considering OME
881 - seems too low of spring rate and could sag
882 - longer, so added compression on struts would give a stiffer ride
883 - same height as 881 with higher spring rate so would give more lift due to less sag, but not as long as 882. Too stiff of ride?
Eibach - highest spring rate --> same lift as 883? Also harder for me to get here in canada

having some difficulties if anyone has some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Have read lots of forums but thee doesnt seem to be that much definitive info on the 883's and thats what im kind of leaning towards as of now.

Thanks.
First, I would recommend figuring out what coil and lift you want, then get shocks that work with them. If you use 5100s with a stronger aftermarket coil, you can't use the lifting option on the 5100s because the perches aren't designed to take the higher spring rates. You'd have to use them set on zero, which is fine if they provide the ride you want. That said...

If you are considering OME coils, I recommend OME shocks from personal experience. They are designed and valved to work omptimally with the OME coil spring rates. I had originally had 5100s set on zero with my 881s, and I found the ride too stiff and jarring after a while. I swapped out the 5100s for OME Nitrochargers all the way around.

Many members are happy with Eibachs and 5100s set on zero. I have no experience with that setup.

It also comes down to your preference for ride and typical use of your truck. As a 90% daily driver on pavement, I was very interested in ride comfort and good, firm control. The OME setup meets this need, and is also great for "medium" or "intermediate" offroad.

By the way, all the OME 880 through 882 coils have the same spring rates, I believe 501 lb or therabouts.

883 will be pretty stiff unless you have a heavy bumper (liek ARB) and winch plus armor. It looks likes you have some of that. Are you V6, too?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
dylanjbegin is on a distinguished road
dylanjbegin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, gonna go with the Eibachs and 5100s. Possibly try to do an OMD leaf pack rebuild with chevy springs in the next couple weeks