Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help with Lift? Newbie

Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Help with Lift? Newbie

well i am planning on getting a lift soon but i was wondering which one you all would recommend. Ive heard about spacers and about lift kits? i don't know what the difference is? I don't plan on off roading but i just want my truck to have a more higher stance, so which would you all recommend? i am just going with a 3' lift for now instead of 6 but which do you all recommend if i dont plan on going off road just street driving?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from Spacer lifts.

Your best bet would be an OME setup from www.toyteclifts.com. Affordable, and it rides pretty good.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah what he said.i got spacer and aal before i joined this site.boy what a mistake.i went with fox 2.0 co and light racing ucas for better ride,alignment,less stress on drive line.dont do spacer.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you DO decide to run a spacer lift, only consider Pre load spacers, as opposed to Top Plate spacers.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you DO decide to run a spacer lift, only consider Pre load spacers, as opposed to Top Plate spacers.
yeah...i dont think i'd have been able to run 265's w/ my 3" top plate spacer i had....the UCA was like 1/4-1/2" away from the top of the tire on my 255's
Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
yeah...i dont think i'd have been able to run 265's w/ my 3" top plate spacer i had....the UCA was like 1/4-1/2" away from the top of the tire on my 255's
I have seen the distance as close as 1/16" (not on my truck). I know the gap wont get closer, but too close for me none the less.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
yeah i fix F/A-18s
NavyNate06 will become famous soon enoughNavyNate06 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate 1st Class
NavyNate06's Tacoma Gallery
i don't know, if youre not going to be doing much if any offroading, a spacer lift wouldn't be that bad. i've got the Revteck 3" with thirty three inch tires on the stock rims and have had the truck four feet in the air with no problems. all for 400 bucks for the lift. and it was easy enough for a gorilla to install. your 100% best bet would be to do your research and decide whats going to be the best for you. i'm planning on going to a fabtech or something a little heavier now that i'm doing more offroading, but for a street truck, something cheap and easy would probably work fine.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNate06 View Post
i don't know, if youre not going to be doing much if any offroading, a spacer lift wouldn't be that bad. i've got the Revteck 3" with thirty three inch tires on the stock rims and have had the truck four feet in the air with no problems. all for 400 bucks for the lift. and it was easy enough for a gorilla to install. your 100% best bet would be to do your research and decide whats going to be the best for you. i'm planning on going to a fabtech or something a little heavier now that i'm doing more offroading, but for a street truck, something cheap and easy would probably work fine.
u got raped for $400 for a spacer lift...even w/ AAL. i hope that was including installation
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds really expensive.... what all was included? Have you installed it already?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
yeah i fix F/A-18s
NavyNate06 will become famous soon enoughNavyNate06 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate 1st Class
NavyNate06's Tacoma Gallery
i've had it installed for about a year and a half now, and the price included new shocks. i haven't had any trouble with it and it wasn't an AAL. it has blocks for the back. i wish it had been AAL to add a little strength to the rear but oh well. at the time it was the cheapest thing i could find too. of course i hadn't found this web site or really done some deep research, although it was easy to install and it only took me three days because the locking lug nuts broke on the front end and i had to drive it with the back end lifted and the front end stock to the dealer ship to have them remove the lug nuts.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
Chris_ is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Chris
Chris_'s Tacoma Gallery
I am very new to the Lifting realm and have a couple of questions as well if the OP doesn't mind me hyjacking his thread hah!
I have a 2005 Tacoma 2 Wheel Drive TRD w/ locker (not sure if the TRD even comes w/o the locker). I do not plan on doing much off-roading, mostly trails for hunting and such. I am looking at the OME 885s with AAL for the rear. Budget is kind of tight so I was thinking of replacing the stock struts/shocks a couple of months down the road unless it's a bad idea to wait. I have read that new UCAs are needed but is that for the alignment or for more durability for off-road use? Trying to avoid $669 for the TC UCAs
I've been reading these forums every chance I get for the past week and have gathered a lot of useful information form you gentlemen already.
Once again, sorry for hijacking your thread Jeyet!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
I am very new to the Lifting realm and have a couple of questions as well if the OP doesn't mind me hyjacking his thread hah!
I have a 2005 Tacoma 2 Wheel Drive TRD w/ locker (not sure if the TRD even comes w/o the locker). I do not plan on doing much off-roading, mostly trails for hunting and such. I am looking at the OME 885s with AAL for the rear. Budget is kind of tight so I was thinking of replacing the stock struts/shocks a couple of months down the road unless it's a bad idea to wait. I have read that new UCAs are needed but is that for the alignment or for more durability for off-road use? Trying to avoid $669 for the TC UCAs
I've been reading these forums every chance I get for the past week and have gathered a lot of useful information form you gentlemen already.
Once again, sorry for hijacking your thread Jeyet!
The OME 885 springs are designed to be used with the OME n140s shocks, so you should get them. You can wait on the UCA's, but your caster will be near .6*. Spec is 2.5 to 3.1*