LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL progressive or standard?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Squirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Squirrel cage's Tacoma Gallery
AAL progressive or standard?

I am getting ready to lift my truck, but wanted some opinions on which AAL to get. I'm looking at the Wheelers 1.5" kits. My truck is a dd with some moderate off roading. Mostly trail riding and exploring. No rocks. I am also looking to build a bed rack, and add a RTT for some over landing fun. So, which one do you guys think is the better option?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
For all the added weight you'll be carrying while off roading, I wouldn't go with an AAL at all. I'd save up for a replacement leaf pack. With the base Tacoma leaf pack being as soft as it is, even with the addition of the AAL, you'll crap out the leaf pack fairly quickly with that kind of load in my opinion.

But, to answer your question, between the 2, I'd go progressive. I believe Wheelers now sells an HD version of their progressive AAL. They ride nice and seem to handle weight pretty well (I have the Icon 3-leaf progressive with the overload leaf left in place).
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
For all the added weight you'll be carrying while off roading, I wouldn't go with an AAL at all. I'd save up for a replacement leaf pack. With the base Tacoma leaf pack being as soft as it is, even with the addition of the AAL, you'll crap out the leaf pack fairly quickly with that kind of load in my opinion.

But, to answer your question, between the 2, I'd go progressive. I believe Wheelers now sells an HD version of their progressive AAL. They ride nice and seem to handle weight pretty well (I have the Icon 3-leaf progressive with the overload leaf left in place).

X2...

3 leaf progressive AAL will last maybe 1-2 years tops depending on load and offroading.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Icon or Wheelers Progressive with OL left in (like Pugga said^)

Replacement pack if you can swing it (like Pugga said^)

Just reiterating and agreeing
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Wizard Sleeve Master
Amo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Amo-cat3's Tacoma Gallery
I also switched from a single Alcan AAl to the wheeler's progressive 3 pack and it made a world of difference. Much smoother and stable ride, rear does not hop like it used to(but i did upgrade to rear icon vs2 shocks). My truck is also a daily driver and only do light off roading. I still carry heavy loads i.e: yards of dirt, gravel, paver stones etc... and it seems to hold loads just as well as my single AAL. I also kept the overload spring in like Pugga did and all is well. The factory tacoma springs aren't the best but check how many leaves you have in the stockers 3 or 4. If you have 4 I believe that is the upgraded rear leafs or "TSB" leafs.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Sam welcome to TW.
Like said progressive if you go AAL but a leaf pack would be better.
I went with OME 885s & Dakars on mine.
Some local threads for you check them out and say hi to the locals.
Reno and surrounding areas: Official spotted, BS, and meets thread(1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Poll: Reno/Sparks Trail Run(1 2 3 ... Last Page)
775 Tacomas(1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Squirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the info guys. I don't intend on having a bunch of weight for extended periods of time, so hopefully the stock leaves will last for a while.
4wheelin4banger I've been meaning to post in those threads. Thanks for putting them all in one spot for me! Btw idk if we actually met, but we have been on a run together. There were about 32 rigs that all had to make a u-turn out by Pyramid city. I was in my blue Jeep YJ however.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes I was on that run on New Years day Sam, but we didn't meet. I was in the group of 4 Toyotas.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I swapped to the factory TSB and got the Icon 3 leaf progressive with overload removed. After a year its still a lil firm unloaded and is starting to lean on the driver's side. The passenger side has not settled much or worn out and I wheel the shit out of my truck but do no towing. At 2 years I will rebuild and swap packs from left to right to get another year out of em and add rhe overload if they settled too much or I might just buy a pack and use the Icon and TSB as a backup when my next pack needs a rearch... because even a new pack will need a re-arch eventually.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #10

What does it cost to do the tsb? Is it covered under warranty? I have a 2011 dcsb tx pro.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #11

Also what exactly does the tsb do for the springs?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel cage View Post
What does it cost to do the tsb? Is it covered under warranty? I have a 2011 dcsb tx pro.
covered under the 3yr36kmi warranty, gotta tell em it rides shitty when loaded down and you saw there is a tsb fix for that

Quote:
Also what exactly does the tsb do for the springs?

new leaf pack, and adds another leaf
Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #13

Quick search shows it is for the 2005-2009 models. Is that the case? Or does it go through the 2011 model year? Sorry for all the questions guys. I'm still new to yotas!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #14
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Quick search shows it is for the 2005-2009 models. Is that the case? Or does it go through the 2011 model year? Sorry for all the questions guys. I'm still new to yotas!
'11s are covered. I didn't get it because I knew I was going to get a new leaf pack instead.
This is Matt's '10 with TSB leafs 5100s all around and OME 884s (billies @ 0)
with 265/75/16 BFG KM2s. A local member Josh (sierrahsky) with a lot of experience & I helped him install it (I mostly watched & learned but occasionally lent a hand).
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Finally installed my OME 884s, Billies all around, ProComp 7089s, and KM2s

Before:

After OME and Billies:

With the new shoes:

Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #15

Sweet thanks! Ive met Josh a few times. He is a great guy! Ive been following his FJ build too.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #16

Ok. I got the process started to get the tsb. Hopefully have that done by the end of this week or sometime next week!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Sweet thanks! Ive met Josh a few times. He is a great guy! Ive been following his FJ build too.
He got rear ended and now needs a new rear door & bumper
Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
He got rear ended and now needs a new rear door & bumper
That sucks! I guess it makes the best time to upgrade though.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #19

Gettin the tsb done tomorrow!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
genrec is on a distinguished road

genrec's Tacoma Gallery
is the wheelers AAL you guys have/use quiet or does it get squeeky and rust easily?