LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to do an Alignment at Home

Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #41
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats you have officially occupied my saturday
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #42
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Who's hardcore enough to get one of these?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #43
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
legit
Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #44
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome post Jason.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #45
Must pay wife for safe passage
mudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of lightmudpuppet is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mark
Location: Somewhere between where Arizona blows and Texas sucks!
mudpuppet's Tacoma Gallery
Really good post, purchased a magnetic angle finder yesterday, waiting for my Dakars to come in and will install my lift. Great write up.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #47
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
If I were to lift my 1st gen 3" using the OME kit (90004 on 883 springs), would I have to get aftermarket UCAs or would this solve the problem of alignment? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #48
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
If I were to lift my 1st gen 3" using the OME kit (90004 on 883 springs), would I have to get aftermarket UCAs or would this solve the problem of alignment? Thanks in advance!
Kinda depends on what your alignment problem is. I have literally zero knowledge when it comes to OME.
That said, generally speaking as you lift the a 1st gen over 2" it's becomes increasingly more difficult to get the caster at a respectable number, let alone in spec. Aftermarket UCA's can help you get the caster back into spec.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #49
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
awesome write up.... about how long does this take you? sorry if you said it already
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #51
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
awesome write up.... about how long does this take you? sorry if you said it already
Depends on how far out of whack your alignment is and how anal retentive you are.
I normally do it in two steps. Caster/camber as step one, toe as step two. The first time I did it, combined probably 5 hours. It gets faster every time you do it though. Once you get a feel for how much to adjust it goes much faster. I can do both steps now in about 1.5 hours.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #53
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up Jason.
I figured you would produce something sticky someday.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #54
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for this write up jason, I was able to dial in atleast my camber issues tonight
Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #55
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet write up! I don't know if I will use this ever, but I didn't even think a DIY alignment was possible..
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #56
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the great write-up and references. Very helpful.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #57
09redtac is on a distinguished road

Navy: slingshot airplanes
09redtac's Tacoma Gallery
Good job! But I have to read a Few times to catch on the calculation...thanks! My alternative way to get alignment done while getting down a few beers to refresh my memory!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #58
whitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura aboutwhitetacoma89 has a spectacular aura about

whitetacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for write-up. I'll read more into this when I get home
Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
Senior Citizen
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Something's wrong.
There's been nothing but accolades and kudos in this thread. Where are all the "constructive criticism" and trolling.
What the heck, I’ll join in. Great write up, and particularly paragraph one. However I have a few things to toss in beyond what is mentioned in posts #33, #36.

First off, HF is presently saying that angle finder is only accurate to + 0.3*. Maybe they changed something? It has been my experience that it takes about $100 just to get into the + 0.1* range.

Here is one thing that rarely gets much press. At the 1st go around and before anything else it is important for DIY folks to consider, check or at least understand the initial centering of the rack/steering wheel. If the truck's history is unknown, the rack travel should be checked and centered if necessary. The outer tie-rods should be screwed into the inners an equal amount with a difference of 1.5mm or less to start. The steering wheel should be centered in its allowable rotations relative to the "spiral cable" inside it. Both the steering wheel and the rack centers then need to be in sync. The spot to set this is the spline joint between the rack pinion shaft (control valve) and the steering column shaft (intermediate shaft #2). Once the wheel/ rack centers are in agreement this will never change, unless someone changes it. Additionally it can be assumed that this "centering and sync" is already correct on a “one owner” truck with steering untouched from the factory.

Lastly, I do not buy the 3rd to last sentence at the end of the OP about final centering of the steering wheel in fact it's just plain wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Also, an off-center steering wheel can be corrected by adjusting one tie-rod more than the other. Steering wheel position has no effect at all on your final alignment. But if you’re anal retentive like me…it’s annoying as hell when it’s not straight.
On a 1st gen 4wd Tacoma, once alignment is complete, if the steering wheel is slightly off, it can be brought to center by turning both inner tie-rods in the same direction (red arrows) by the exact same amount (one direction or the other, looking at the rack from the rear). If one is turned a different amount than the other, Toe will change.
Here's a pictogram. The disk at top represents the steering wheel.

Other than what looks like a copy error in the caster calculation numbers, that’s all I got.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #60
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Subbeded,
Great write up and once again the voodoo of another automotive setup is made easy for us regular foks to understand, and do if we wish.
Thanks!