Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to do an Alignment at Home

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #61
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
awesome write up! sub'd
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #62
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
good write up.. sub'd
Old 09-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #63
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible to align the passenger side cambar/caster off of the drivers side specs? I removed the passenger side cam adjusters and stupidly enough i rubbed the hatch marks off when i was cleaning them
Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #64
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Is it possible to align the passenger side cambar/caster off of the drivers side specs? I removed the passenger side cam adjusters and stupidly enough i rubbed the hatch marks off when i was cleaning them
Not unless your frame and suspension components are 100% perfectly symmetrical....which they are not
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #65
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Not unless your frame and suspension components are 100% perfectly symmetrical....which they are not
Alright. How about close enough to get me to an alignment shop?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #66
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Alright. How about close enough to get me to an alignment shop?
Sure. Just eyeball align it. You would be surprised how close you can get with just doing it with the naked eye.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #67
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Quote:
Pffffffft. The dealer can kiss my shiny white ass.
I did a zero point calibration on my wife's runner with a paperclip. Again, attaching relevant section of the FSM. Skip to step 4.

Jay, is it that easy to do? Whenever I make right hand turns on mountain roads my traction control goes off like crazy and applies the brakes and shit. I swear it's gonna get me killed soon.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #68
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Jay, is it that easy to do? Whenever I make right hand turns on mountain roads my traction control goes off like crazy and applies the brakes and shit. I swear it's gonna get me killed soon.
Yep. Super easy. Just follow the instructions and use a paperclip for the "SST"
Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #69
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
home alignment

Great write up but how do you know that the spray paint is right in the middle of the tire on both sides, front and back ? I can see where you can spray it strait by putting a 2x4 but how do you know it's right in the middle of the tire though?

Another question that was not asked is before you make CAM Adjustments do you lift the truck up and then lift the LCA up to simulate normal driving level to make your CAM adjustments on the LCA, then lower back down and recheck the camber/caster?

I have never adjusted those CAMS do they move fairly easy once you loosen the nut? do you spray them with anything first?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #70
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
Great write up but how do you know that the spray paint is right in the middle of the tire on both sides, front and back ? I can see where you can spray it strait by putting a 2x4 but how do you know it's right in the middle of the tire though?

Another question that was not asked is before you make CAM Adjustments do you lift the truck up and then lift the LCA up to simulate normal driving level to make your CAM adjustments on the LCA, then lower back down and recheck the camber/caster?

I have never adjusted those CAMS do they move fairly easy once you loosen the nut? do you spray them with anything first?
It doesn't have to be in the middle of the tire. You can put it wherever you want. As long as the line you scribe around the tire with a nail or whatever is centric, your reference point is identical. You are measuring from one centric point on the left tire to another centric point on the right tire. Where those scribes are makes no difference as the math you're doing is simple subtraction between the distance of the two lines (one at the front of the tires, one at the rear).

Adjust cams without jacking up the truck. Take your measurements, adjust, and take measurements again. If you unload the suspension, you'll have to reload it again (drive it around up and over bumps) and start over.

The cam bolts move easy...unless they are seized (fairly common with second gens).
Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #71
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
good stuff

Quote:
It doesn't have to be in the middle of the tire. You can put it wherever you want. As long as the line you scribe around the tire with a nail or whatever is centric, your reference point is identical. You are measuring from one centric point on the left tire to another centric point on the right tire. Where those scribes are makes no difference as the math you're doing is simple subtraction between the distance of the two lines (one at the front of the tires, one at the rear).

Adjust cams without jacking up the truck. Take your measurements, adjust, and take measurements again. If you unload the suspension, you'll have to reload it again (drive it around up and over bumps) and start over.

The cam bolts move easy...unless they are seized (fairly common with second gens).
k, it's starting to clear up on me now.....good
thanks for the quick reply...........YOU THE MAN

One last question though, the caster angle moves up and down or should I say shifts as you turn the wheels? is that why you measure the caster at 20 degree angle?
Attached Thumbnails
How to do an Alignment at Home-casterangle.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #72
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
k, it's starting to clear up on me now.....good
thanks for the quick reply...........YOU THE MAN

One last question though, the caster angle moves up and down or should I say shifts as you turn the wheels? is that why you measure the caster at 20 degree angle?
Caster does not change as you turn the wheel. Caster is the angle of the imaginary line between your upper and lower ball joints (with a double control arm setup such as Tacoma's). That angle does not change as you turn the wheels as the UBJ an LBJ are pivot points for the steering.
Caster DOES however change as the suspension cycles up and down.

Why measure camber at 20 degrees both directions and subtract the difference and multiply by 1.5? Fuck if I know. I learned that trick when I was 12 setting up my go carts with my dad (who was a mechanic pretty much his whole life). Don't know the whole history behind why the math works that way. But google your heart out and I'm sure you can find out why.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #73
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! I'll have to give it a try
Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #74
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone used this method then had it check by an alignment shop? Seems like toe would be hard to get right since the tolerance is usually +/-.05 degrees or so. On a 265 tire that translates to about 1/10th of an inch difference max which seems like it would be hard to hit with just a tape measure.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #75
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I just got mine aligned at a shop and I'm not happy with the caster numbers. I may have to jack around with this and see what I can come up with. It drives ok, but seems a little twitchy at 60. Also I'm curious to see how the different changes affect the feel.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #76
Vader Taco
jimbo33l is a jewel in the roughjimbo33l is a jewel in the roughjimbo33l is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jimmy
jimbo33l's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #77
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
so what happens when you get your camber and cast set. you go to set ur toe and by the time u get ur toe correct, ur caster and camber changed. but u didnt know because you would have to start all over to find out. Not trying to be a dick Jason, just giving u shit. its impressive that u can do, it yourself. but its so much easier and accurate on an alignment machine....
but i do get, that half the battle is finidng a competent tech to perform the alignment... hell i have people request me to do their alignments....
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #78
The Mad Scientist

Dick.

Not everyone has access to an alignment machine (and even less of a chance to find a competent tech). If I had access to a machine, I would do it myself. I never said that a garage alignment is more accurate, faster, or easier than using a machine. The point was it can be done in the garage with patience and some basic tools. Not everyone works at Toyota (or knows someone who does). For my needs, my truck gets a jberry alignment. Not forcing anyone else to do it either.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #79
Vader Taco
jimbo33l is a jewel in the roughjimbo33l is a jewel in the roughjimbo33l is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jimmy
jimbo33l's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dick.

Not everyone has access to an alignment machine (and even less of a chance to find a competent tech). If I had access to a machine, I would do it myself. I never said that a garage alignment is more accurate, faster, or easier than using a machine. The point was it can be done in the garage with patience and some basic tools. Not everyone works at Toyota (or knows someone who does). For my needs, my truck gets a jberry alignment. Not forcing anyone else to do it either.
Jberry I was wondering if you can help me with a little clarification on my 2nd gen. On the adjustment for the cam washers if I were wanting to maximize caster before I install my lr uca's. To do this I would rotate the washers on the front end of the truck with the marks towards the center of the truck and the bolt would be towards the outside? And on the rearward facing washers I would wAnt full positive by having the same as the front to where the bolt is closest to the wheels and the center mark is facing toward the center of the vehicle?