1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading Shocks want Stock Height

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by UFtacoma, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    UFtacoma

UFtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 2wd
    I have been reading for hours and most of the threads that I find are about adding lifts to our trucks or leveling out the front end. I have a 4x2 2010 double cab TRD tacoma with 57,000 miles on it and the suspension seems to be getting "bouncier" for the lack of a better word. The stealership said that the shocks should be find and I probably have a different problem and I should have the look at it ($49) to put it on the lift. I just moved to the Orlando area and do not know any reputable independent shops. I have always done the minor basics (change oil, replace brakes and rotors, etc.) myself.

I hardly ever go offorad but was looking at replacing all of the shocks with wither the bilstein 4600 or 5100. Are the 5100 a better shock even if I do not plan on using the adjustment on the front shocks?

Should the bushings and washers be changed with the shocks if reusing the original front springs?

I also looked into the AAL TSB and Toyota said that I was out of luck since I was past the 36,000 miles and said that it was "only to correct a slight squeak anyway".

Thanks for the help.

2. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I suggest 5100's at stock height. They are valved better and will absorb the road better. Most people swear by them before stock Bistein to 5100's even at stock height firming up the ride on cornering and taking the bad roads. I think you use stock top bushing and washer/nuts in the front and the rear you use the stock bolt. You should and will get new bushings and they come with the shocks. If your rear are sagging you can do an AAL or to a salvage yard and pull a leaf on a wrecked Tacoma and slip a leaf in your pack too.

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    UFtacoma

UFtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 2wd
    Probably a stupid question, but where is the best place at purchase an add a Lear and are they hard to install?

4. Dec 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
  5. Dec 9, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    UFtacoma

UFtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 2wd
    Thanks for your help.

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    The 5100's will serve you well without lifting your truck & tell whoever you talked to at the dealership they're full of shit when they say it's to "stop a squeak issue"

7. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    UFtacoma

UFtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 2wd
    Is Wheelers Offroad the best place to purchase. Everywhere I call in Orlando wants much more for the 5100s. How is the service/knowledge at Wheelers? I might need some rear leaf springs as well but want to keep stock TRD Off road height. Thanks for helping the new guy.

8. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    I've purchased from Wheeler's twice and will stand by them. They will forever have a loyal customer. Anything you need just ask Dan or Johnny. They are here roaming the site all the time. A+ for customer service, price, shipping and quality. Top notch guys. They actually wheel their junks and know what is best for us. Hit them up.

9. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    UFtacoma

UFtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 2wd
    I went ahead and ordered the 5100s. I hope that they ride better than the stock TRD Bilsteins.

Anyone have any pictures showing how to remove the front coil overs? I have read the sticky thread but it does not help me as much now that the pictures are gone. I am trying to decide if I am going to tackle the front shocks myself or take it to someone to do the work.

Does anyone know of an honest shop in the Orlando area? I just moved here and have not had to do any work on my truck yet.

10. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
  11. Dec 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    UFtacoma

UFtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 2wd
    Thanks for the help. The pictures and description will make it much easier.

Products Discussed in

To Top