Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Upgrading Shocks want Stock Height

Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
UFtacoma is on a distinguished road
UFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrading Shocks want Stock Height

I have been reading for hours and most of the threads that I find are about adding lifts to our trucks or leveling out the front end. I have a 4x2 2010 double cab TRD tacoma with 57,000 miles on it and the suspension seems to be getting "bouncier" for the lack of a better word. The stealership said that the shocks should be find and I probably have a different problem and I should have the look at it ($49) to put it on the lift. I just moved to the Orlando area and do not know any reputable independent shops. I have always done the minor basics (change oil, replace brakes and rotors, etc.) myself.

I hardly ever go offorad but was looking at replacing all of the shocks with wither the bilstein 4600 or 5100. Are the 5100 a better shock even if I do not plan on using the adjustment on the front shocks?

Should the bushings and washers be changed with the shocks if reusing the original front springs?

I also looked into the AAL TSB and Toyota said that I was out of luck since I was past the 36,000 miles and said that it was "only to correct a slight squeak anyway".

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I suggest 5100's at stock height. They are valved better and will absorb the road better. Most people swear by them before stock Bistein to 5100's even at stock height firming up the ride on cornering and taking the bad roads. I think you use stock top bushing and washer/nuts in the front and the rear you use the stock bolt. You should and will get new bushings and they come with the shocks. If your rear are sagging you can do an AAL or to a salvage yard and pull a leaf on a wrecked Tacoma and slip a leaf in your pack too.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Probably a stupid question, but where is the best place at purchase an add a Lear and are they hard to install?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Most AAL will add lift since you are adding another leaf into your pack. Wheelers Off Road, Downsouth Motorsport and even ToyTec all have AAL. Here is a link to how to install a AAL:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...af-w-pics.html

If you add a AAL you might want to set the front 5100's at 1.75" even 2.5" so you aren't ass high.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100's will serve you well without lifting your truck & tell whoever you talked to at the dealership they're full of shit when they say it's to "stop a squeak issue"
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Is Wheelers Offroad the best place to purchase. Everywhere I call in Orlando wants much more for the 5100s. How is the service/knowledge at Wheelers? I might need some rear leaf springs as well but want to keep stock TRD Off road height. Thanks for helping the new guy.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #9

I've purchased from Wheeler's twice and will stand by them. They will forever have a loyal customer. Anything you need just ask Dan or Johnny. They are here roaming the site all the time. A+ for customer service, price, shipping and quality. Top notch guys. They actually wheel their junks and know what is best for us. Hit them up.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
I went ahead and ordered the 5100s. I hope that they ride better than the stock TRD Bilsteins.

Anyone have any pictures showing how to remove the front coil overs? I have read the sticky thread but it does not help me as much now that the pictures are gone. I am trying to decide if I am going to tackle the front shocks myself or take it to someone to do the work.

Does anyone know of an honest shop in the Orlando area? I just moved here and have not had to do any work on my truck yet.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #11

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...d-gen-4wd.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...tml#post990449
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Thanks for the help. The pictures and description will make it much easier.